“words are not enough”

Ranked #1 of 116 Restaurants in Darjeeling
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed June 9, 2013

If I say I love this place, that would be a massive understatement. Everytime I go to Darjeeling, I go to this place and come away happy and lost in my tastebuds. Lots of people have waxed lyrical about this place and I am pretty darn sure lots more will do so again. But I just want to add my two bits.
The best part is that I have never repeated an order and each of the new dishes has been as good as the ones that came before. Its not the typical chinese fare we get in most indian places. Its tibetan. and there is a world of difference between the two. but the few chinese items are good too. try the spring rolls. delightfully fresh and wonderfully filling. and cabbage free. perfection. The prices may seem high, compared to most places, but the quantities you get then make the prices seem perfectly fair. Even with the high prices your total bill will not be high as you won't be eating many dishes. just the few trips to culinary heaven shall be good enough.
I live in gangtok. and everytime i go to darjeeling, people want me to bring back food from this place. and right now, I am not sure if I don't go to darjeeling only for this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Kunga Restaurant

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Small, cosy, and friendly. Everything we tried was good but I especially liked all the different thukpa, especially the ones with homemade noodles. If it's full, it's worth waiting a bit for a table.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

The momos, the thukpa, the shabbaleys - you name it and they produce it steaming hot and wonderful to taste.

The family run business has been one of our favourite destinations in Darjeeling over the years.

You will always leave with a smile on your face.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Kunga Restaurant is a small, simple, no fuss eatery which serves a good variety of delicious Tibetian food. We ate lunch at Kunga twice and enjoyed the thenthuk (veg or non-veg noodle soup), momos (fried or steamed dumplings) and thukpa bhathuk (think Italian gnocchi in soup). Very good value for money and excellent location on Ghandi Road which is a few steps away from the Mall. Be prepared to wait for the food but it is worth it! The noodles and momos are handmade when you place your order. And finally, remember to ask for the excellent chilli sauce to go with the momos.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

momos seemed half cooked. we ordered chicken chowmein and pork fry ... somehow gulped the chowmein and pork was so smelly that we threw off the entire thing