“Value for Money”
Review of Hotel Anand Palace

Hotel Anand Palace
Ranked #43 of 99 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed February 25, 2011

The hotel was part of the package I had booked for my north east trip. The hotel is located on the mall road. The rooms are spacious though not very modern in terms of outlook. The food is average but the hotel staff are very co-operative. The waiting area of the hotel is another plus point of the hotel. Overall a good hotel and definitely value for money.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Vishal1105

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I booked this hotel from the UK having looked at the glorified photos on its website. How I was fooled with its ambience!!!! On my arrival at the reception, it was the only place that was just about colourful. I was shown a super deluxe room on the sixth floor. Be prepared to walk up as there is no lift at this hotel and hasn't been for the last six months. (still being renovated???). If they call these rooms super deluxe, I have a good chance of becoming prime minister!!! The super deluxe room was like a room in a backpackers hotel. There was a constant damp smell in the room and the hallways. The walls of the room were filthy and the shower room, well, no water pressure. Hot water was luke warm and when asked for a heater in the room as it was cold, they even required a fee for the use of a heater!!!! I explored the other floors to see if I could even remotely match the pictures on the website. However, a big "NO" "NO". Each floor was dark and gloomy and as I ran my finger against one of the walls, my finger turned black with dust which tells me that cleanliness at this hotel is way down the priority list. The carpet in the room was dirty and the bed, well, I've slept in a better hospital bed!!! I complained to the general manager, who looked as if he had just left school and he seemed to have the least interest in my concerns yet maintained that the hotel was a 3 star. I wouldn't give this hotel a 1 star. The only consellation I would give as far as this hotel is concerned, is the food. The food was excellent with a wide variety of veg and non-veg dishes. The staff at the front counter tried their best in helping, but it just wasn't working. I moved out of this hotel within 48 hours of arrival and vowed never to go back there again nor advise any traveller to do so. My advice is to spend a little bit more money on a 5 star hotel as there are a couple in the local area. This hotel is overpriced and you'll get nothing for your money.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank Rakaash72
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Rooms in this hotel does not match to what website shows in terms of the real luxury it feels. Rooms are bigger but were not fresh.We asked for room freshner to be sprayed. Rooms does not have any view. The Bed & cushion is OK.The staff at the frontdesk does not have any information about Darjeeling as well as the sightseeing in the Darjeeling.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Lalittk
Reviewed June 3, 2010

The hotel is located in narrow-lane opposite Big-Bazaar.

Room: The room we stayed in was on 5th floor, and had a view of snow-capped peaks. The room was reasonably appointed and bathroom was clean and nice. However, the carpet wasn't clean.

Restaurant and Room Service: One word: Horrible.
- No tea/coffee after 7 PM and before 7 AM. No milk for babies as well.
- Very limited sections of the Room service menu actually available. We called them at 7:15 PM and they said they would revert in half an hour and tell us what all they plan to make on that day.
- Buffet breakfast time is 7:30 AM onwards. But, more than half things were not served till 8:30. Unpleasant...

Travel Desk: Don't rely on them to make reservations for sightseeing. Do it yourself by walking up the mall road.

Billing and Checkout: Again pathetic. They added room-service bills from other rooms to our bill.

Conclusion: Reasonable infrastructure let down by bad service.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Nice view of kanchenjunga mountains. Very good room services and hospitality is also very satisfactory.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2010

If one wants to have a leisurely stay, with great service in a decent price , I would certainly suggest Anand Palace. The location of the hotel is also nice. It is right opposite Big Bazaar, Inox cinemas and the local market as well. The hotel is centrally located from all the major tourist attractions in and around Darjeeling. One could simply step out of the hotel and walk 10 steps to enter the theatre,
We stayed in the luxury urban room which is pretty big and absolutely clean. The room was on the 5th Floor. Although the view wasn’t that great, but still it was pretty decent.
It was pretty chilly out there in Darjeeling, but we were given a heater which sufficed the purpose.
Another major problem in Darjeeling is water and the biggest “Hot Water”. We had a geyser in our room with 24 hours water supply.
The hotel took special care in providing us food as we had breakfast and dinner including in the package.
The Food is fantastic and not one day did we feel the need to go outside for breakfast or dinner .
Although we were always late for the breakfast, we were promptly served hot and tasty food and if the buffet was over, the al-carte was offered to us at no extra cost.
The hot Dinner was promptly served in our room as per our convenience and time
The Travel Arrangements were also done by the hotel.
I would certainly recommend this hotel for travelers who are looking for a comfortable and enjoyable stay .

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank AnshulMohindra
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stayed for 2 Nights End of May 2009 . Good Location . Next to Rink Mall which has a Inox Multiplex and Reasturant . 3 Mins walk to Mall Road . Service Was Slow but then it was Peak Time . Hotel was completely Filled . Vegetarian food was excellent . We stayed on 5th Floor .Lift goes Till 3rd Floor so it was a bit of irritation but the view was very nice . Lots of Space on each floor to sit and relax outside rooms which we liked . For Peak Season it was value for money .

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family