“Expected More”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Darjeeling
Darjeeling Planters Club
Ranked #52 of 99 Hotels in Darjeeling
Reviewed June 14, 2012

By all accounts, planters club was one of the best places to stay in Darjeeling, but sadly no more. The rooms are huge with separate sitting area, dressing area and bedroom. However, the furnishings are old and need immediate renovations. The toiler was dirty and very clumsy.

The hotel offers no room service but they do have a nice restaurant called Opium. However, the service is really pathetic. It took the restaurant 45-50mins to bring food for 4 adults.

The hotel's location is its biggest plus point, located right under the mall. It is walking distance to the mall as well as the legendary eatries like Keventers and Glenarys.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Full value for money, king size rooms, restaurant n bar. Centrally located near the market n sitll hv the best view of the city.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Darjeeling tea served,just in the city and main bazzar ,walking distance to mall road,eating joints.Rooms are big but ok for the price.An old famous cafe is also nearby.Value for money.
.....................................................................................................................................................

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 15, 2012

The rooms were very old fashioned in a good way but as soon as the sun went down they are freezing! The fire was a necessity but having a bigger heater than a one bar little thing would be good for the day. Quite old and shabby, not the cleanest but the service was impeccable with everyone going out of their way to help.

Room Tip: ask to see the room first and check out the lighting
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sus335
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I was in darjelling from 18/12/2011 to 22/12/2011 with my family and friends and stayed in Darjelling Planter's Club. This is my fourth visit to Darjelling. Earlier I had stayed in lot of hotels at the same tariff what planters club is charging but staying in planters club is a memorable experience with the facility of fire place and the huge rooms they provide. Not only that the people over there especially Major Rana - Secretary of the club, Carolene in the Reception and the service boys do deserve a special thanks. The only problem is with their beds which they have said that are in the process of renovation and will change it. I was so satisfied with my stay at the Planters club that I have decided to stay there in future also.
Sandeep Bagchi.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Now I'll start off with the things I didn't like about "The Club". I have family ties to Darjeeling and it so happens in the past my family were members here. I therefore was desperate to stay here on my visit to Darjeeling. The Club has no website which is a pain so I called up to make a reservation and was told to email, which I did. I received no reply and because I really wanted to stay here I phoned again. Most people would not have. To my surprise when I turned up the manager produced the email and looked at me as if I was an idiot when I incredulously asked her why they hadn't replied. Power cuts was the eventual reason given. In fact all my complaints centre on the manager, who is generally rude and a poor ambassador for The Club. The rest of the staff are beyond reproach and went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. The charming colonial era rooms are kept warm at night by a roaring fire and a hot water bottle in bed, I slept in my usual bed gear without any problems. The bathroom has hot water on tap and is clean, and the rooms as well as being charming are spacious and comfortable. Steaming Darjeeling tea can be ordered any time and can be consumed in bed or on the veranda overlooking the mountains. The location is the best in town, being as it is the centre of town and on the pedestrianised Mall. It is just a shame that this place is past its best and the members no longer appear and the bar no longer runs. A few touches here and there and it would be truly amazing.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Croyals
Reviewed November 6, 2011

First think to keep in mind about the Planter's Club: despite charging upwards of $40 per night, they do not accept credit cards. That's a hassle.

I started out in a decrepit but charming room on the second floor. It was November and even sleeping in a full set of long underwear with wool socks on and a sweater, it took me hours to fall asleep because the bedding was insufficient.

I'd checked-in late (after midnight) and forgot to lock my door. Big mistake, as I discovered when one of the employees walked inside my room the next morning, bright and early, and set the day's newspaper on my bed while I shouted at him to get out. I'm female. Traveling alone. The employee just chuckled when I shouted. I did not neglect to lock my door again.

Later that afternoon, some of the employees decided to paint the hallway. The smell filled up my room and gave me a headache, so I asked to change rooms. To my surprise, the receptionist agreed. I moved to a different room on the opposite side of the hotel, where the bedding was better and I could get a decent night's sleep.

The next morning at around eight in the morning, the doorbell buzzed and woke me up. I got out of bed to find one of the employees asking if I had the key to my old room. This poor English guy who'd been stuck my old paint-smelling room stood behind the employee, apologizing to me and trying to explain to the employee that he'd left the key with reception. The employee did NOT apologize for waking me up or bothering me.

I went back to bed but then the cleaning lady buzzed on my door. I realized I wasn't going to get any more sleep and asked her to come back later, once I'd dressed and gone out for the day. I never saw her again. My room was never cleaned.

I got a few more delightful wake-up calls but only one worth retelling. Again, eight or nine in the morning. Again, I drag myself out of bed to open the door. One of the employees shows me a French passport through the glass in the door and asks if it's mine. I'm American. I shake my head no. He makes an "open the door" motion and asks that I check. I open the door and look at the passport. It belongs to a woman who is a different age, with different colored hair and different colored eyes. We do not look at all alike. Aside from the fact that, yet again, I'd been hassled: Do you really want to stay at a hotel where people might go passing your passport around to the other guests? No!

Aside from these examples, which I find pretty awful, I found everyone at the Planter's Club to be generally rude and inefficient. The receptionist called me up to her desk twice to make out my bill, insisting that I stand there and wait for her to tote up the sums each time. She yelled and snapped every time she spoke to me.

I've been in India for a month, and the Planter's Club was by far the worst hotel I've stayed in. Not the cheapest - I stayed at other hotels for 400 rupees a night with better facilities and more accommodating employees - just the worst.

Room Tip: Not all the bedding is equal. If you freeze through the night, ask for a new room or different bedd...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo