“Visit only when entertaining foreigners,”
Review of Dakshin

Dakshin
Ranked #4 of 6,671 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Chennai
“Visit only when entertaining foreigners,”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Visit only when entertaining foreigners,
You can easily convince them that this is the best south Indian restaurant in Chennai (Make sure they know less about the cuisine than you) - they will agree, at least when they see how much they have been charged for the food they ate. To start with I think this restaurant does invite criticism onto it self by taking on the challenge of being a very exclusive and pricey south Indian joint. The truth is typical, good south Indian food is neither pricey nor exclusive - so, what more can they do with the food. There isn't much they can do with a moore milagai or a Vaatha kuzhambu and charge a fortune for it. The non vegetarian fare is much better and has good flavor. This place needs to reinvent itself and do something innovative with south Indian food to justify the price.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Ramesh75
SheratonPark, General Manager at Dakshin, responded to this review, September 15, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for not having met your expectations on the points highlighted.

Thanking you once again for your valuable feedback and looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sheraton Park Hotel & Towers, Chennai. Yours is a relationship we cherish.

Kuldeen Dhawan

chennai
“overhyped, overpriced, over”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I have been going to Dakshin ever since they opened ages ago - 20 years?- except for a long absence in Mumbai. It was one of the best restaurants in India in my opinion. Coming back, I find that this has changed and become one more touristy joint, with high prices and average food.
The waiters do not have much knowledge of the food, and you have to explain what you want. The original Iyer Trolley is missing, and in its place, they give you a very limited choice of starters, with no specific taste. The coffee in any good South Indian restaurant is generally good to very good. Not here. Just average or less .
In my last three trips, I did not get even one great dish. All passable. This for a price about ten times what you would get in a small unpretentious restaurant. Money is not a problem, but quality is. (Even for money- if you pay nearly 2000 Rs. for a Thali, yu expect it to be exceptional. It is not.)

The ambiance and decor have not changed for many years, though it would look exotic to an overseas vistor. (Perhaps they have dumbed down the food to suit the western palate )

People are nice and courteous.

I would go there only if someone is holding a party or dinner, and I cannot turn down the invite.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank ksesh43
SheratonPark, General Manager at Dakshin, responded to this review, August 21, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We apologize for not having met your expectations on the points highlighted and assure you that we have already initiated corrective steps to ensure these are not repeated.

Japan
“Nice experience”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Large portions and helpful staff! Great setting, the live music was pleasant, it seemed highly popular as th restaurant was full!

Visited July 2012
SheratonPark, General Manager at Dakshin, responded to this review, August 20, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to know that the services rendered were up to your expectations. It is feedback such as yours that inspire us to strive for greater heights of excellence in our services.

Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable experience”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Courteous and knowledgeable staff. Quintessentially South Indian dishes in keeping with the name and tasted impeccable. Menu seemed somewhat limited in its offering. Serene Carnatic music a definite plus and added to the delightful ambiance.

• Visited July 2012
SheratonPark, General Manager at Dakshin, responded to this review, July 31, 2012

Chennai (Madras), India
“Awesome midnight buffet”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

A couple of months ago, myself and my mate visited Dakshin, a restaurant in Park Sheraton. One of our mates had actually suggested us to try this place to eat as we were searching for a decent restaurant at 12:30am. We were extremely hungry so took my mate's advice and went to Dakshin. On reaching there, we saw the dishes in the buffet and without any hesitation chose to eat. The starters and the main course was good but my all time favourite dish was "hot chocolate pudding" and it was mind blowing. I actually went crazy by having three servings despite my tummy being full. It was extremely tasty and delicious. I am a sucker for chocolate dishes and this was just the right one for me. There was a manager called Prithviraj who ensured we got good service and kept asking us every 15 minutes if we were okay and needed anything else. Without being shy, I asked him if it is okay for me to take as many servings of the chocolate pudding as I can and he said "yes". I was extremely delighted. The price, I do not remember how much we paid. But, I did not care about the price as the pudding made my day.

• Visited April 2012
4 Thank Pritish S
SheratonPark, General Manager at Dakshin, responded to this review, July 16, 2012