“Want to come back for more”
Review of Bay View Point

Bay View Point
Ranked #55 of 6,659 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Barbecue, Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
New Delhi, India
“Want to come back for more”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Taj Fisherman's Cover is an ideal weekend retreat from Chennai. Its Bay View Point Restaurant is on the beach and the ambience and setting is simply awesome. The food is delicious and so are the cocktails on offer. This place is usually packed on weekends and its better to make a reservation before arriving.

The Bay View Point is also a great location for a business gathering given the ambience, choice of drinks and seafood options.

• Visited February 2012

Chennai (Madras), India
“A great place”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I simply love this place. The bay view is simply great. The beach is amazing with the bar facing the beach... resort has all the amenities you could need and you will love this place.

Visited February 2012
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“Decent but lacks the WOW factor!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

12 Sept was my wife's birthday and after good research I picked Bay view at Taj Fisherman's Cove to celebrate it with. There were good reviews on the net and from a fellow office mater - I got positive vibes as well. I called them up and spoke to a guy names Suman from Bay view. It was Tuesday and there were no chances of the restaurant being crowded, though I preferred to advance book it. I booked a table for two and requested Suman to give me something closure to shore (yes, this restaurant is right on the sea-shore) and make it candle light if possible as I am coming with my wife on her birthday. Suman gave me an option of two slots, 7:30 and 9:30, I picked the latter one.

I reached this place at 9:00pm, 30 mins prior to the time. When I made an entry - it wasn't very impressie. There were two stupid gaurd at the entrance who seemed little rude. Entire resort was dimly lit and you were always left wanting for little more light. Walk down to the restaurant was good - but there was nothing 5-star about it. Bay view is an open restaurant. There are tables under umbrella like open huts. I was given a table at the far end from the sea - with a promise that they'll move when the tables in front get empty. After some time they moved me to middle and that's it. And yes, no candle light! The dress of the staff was real worse. I guess Taj should immidietely do something about it. A white shirt and trouser with all of them running with top button open and shirts out - it gave me a feel of a staff from Sangeetha or A2B. Only differentiating factor was that these guys spoke english!

The menu at Bay view is very limited. All in all, you'll not have more than 30-35 items in the card - included everything. We were left wanting for more food items. We started with some mock tails (good) and Bay view Prawns (good), then moved to fish and chips (decent) and finally had Prawns curry with 2 flaky parantha (average)! All this costed 2800 bucks! Quantity in all of them were average and sufficient for strictly one person.

You can take a walk on the beach from here - we did and it was a good experience. But, I am sure they can do something else with it as well. Washrooms were standard and I can say that my office washroom is better equipped that what were those. They took the last order at 10:30 and said that they are winding up, even though the website clearly says that it remains open till 11:30. To my surprise, they started collating chairs and table at 10:40 itself even though we along with couple more guests were still seated there, as if they were asking us to leave! Can it happen in a 5 star hotel? Result, I couldn't order a cake or dessert that I wanted for my wife.

To summarize, I was really left disappointed with lack of efficiency or support I got from this so called 5 star hotel. Even though I had booked with a specific reasons communicated to the staff, none of my requests were made and all my grand plans of celebrating the birthday went for a toss!

Not everything is bad there. The food is decent (and thats all - there isn't anything stunnind about the sea food there) and location is very good. The drive to the hotel and back was a good experience and since it is far away from city, you'd like the calmness and serene atmosphere there. All in all - I might venture there again for a drive in day time where it looks better with natural light all around and enjoy at Seagull or Upper Deck - but never for any special occasion to celebrate because now I know, they don't value it!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Ravi S
Los Angeles, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful setting near Chennai”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Away from the noise and traffic of the city of chennai, this resort is located on the beach! It took us about two hours to get there. We stayed in the cottages facing the Bay of Bengal ocean which was out of this world! people were friendly and the food fantastic! A memorable stay for us in India. The cottages are slightly outdated and could do with a little revamp.

• Visited August 2012
Mobile, Alabama
“Dining on the Bay-Nice”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I spent a few days at The Vivanta by Taj Fisherman Cove. The outdoor restaurant offered a diverse menu and a really nice dining experience. The staff and food were superb! I will definitely be returning to Fishermans Cove during my next visit to Chennai and cannot wait to experience the relaxing dining experience on the bay!

Visited June 2012