“Wonderful food and ambience”
Review of Southern Spice

Southern Spice
Ranked #9 of 6,640 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Taj Coromandel experience is enhanced by its world famous cuisines served up by some of the best Indian and International chefs. Taj Coromandel offers three distinctive specialty restaurants - Prego, the Italian Fine Dining restaurant; Southern Spice, the traditional South Indian cuisine restaurant serving the cuisines of the four southern states of India; Golden Dragon, the Signature Chinese restaurant of the Taj. Experience Global delights at the multi-cuisine, All Day Diner, Anise. Live it up at Chipstead, the Bar at Coromandel while sipping on unique cocktails or indulging in our collection of Single Malts and Cognacs. Authentic flavours, excellent service and welcoming ambience create a remarkable dining experience that is unrivalled anywhere else in Chennai.
mumbai
“Wonderful food and ambience”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

It has authentic south Indian food in a beautiful setting. The appam and stew are must haves. They also have interesting ice cream flavors like broken wheat with banana and black pepper.

• Visited September 2012

New Delhi, Delhi, India
“Great food and refreshingly pleasant service...”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I really enjoyed a recent dinner at Sothern Spice. We chose the set-menu and the food just kept coming! I just wish I had not had snacks just before getting to dinner as the food was delicious. I look forward to going again, this time with enough appetite to do complete justice to the feast.. :)

• Visited August 2012
Hamilton New Zealand
“Fantastic food and service”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I took my grandmother here for her 87 th birthday. We chose the Virundh (feast) and what a feast it was!! Very large multi course meal. Suggest you miss the previous meal to fully appreciate the food.

Service was great with staff helping us choose well.

The decor has been recently changed to an opulent Chola dynasty fantasy theme. unbelieveably opulent and needs to be seen to be appreciated.

Food from all four southern Indian states presented at their best

Although expensive by Indian standards about right for an upmarket Restraunt in the OECD. About $75/ head.

I will definitely visit again.

Wuppertal, Germany
“Add that touch of Southern Spice!”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is a beautifully decorated restaurant with top-notch service! We were a party of 10, where 9 of my colleagues love hot & spicy food! With a name like "Southern Spice" I knew i was going to be in for a real treat, especially as i find black pepper too spicy! Our host, knowing that I don't eat spicy food, spoke with the waiter and within 5 minutes the Chef came out and asked me what types of foods I'd like.

When the entrees came out the Chef walked over and served me himself, and said something along the lines "for those that love India, but just can't handle the spice!" He had prepared a special meal that was mild but deliciously flavorful. The rest of the evening was 5*, even when we "closed" the restaurant! Now, the Chef could have easily gone home as the kitchen was closed and there was nothing left to do, but instead he came out and wished each one of us a wonderful evening and a safe trip home!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank matthew_vanderheide
Jefferson City, Missouri
“Don't go unless you stay there.”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Every time I visit my family I take them out to a nice restaurant in Chennai.. This time around thought of going to Southern Spice... Big mistake! After getting seated, we waited forever for the menu to be handed(after asking for it a couple of times) and did I mention only one menu card for a party of 6..

The waiter was in a hurry to take our order.. While I was in the middle of ordering he asked if he can come back later to complete taking the order! Unbelievable... It seemed like attention was being given to almost all the other tables... Special birthday cakes, managers asking the guests how things were going, but not a peep at our table.

The food was served after what felt like eternity... And it was very ordinary.. The cone dosa was cold and soft.. The chicken and mutton dishes were too spicy to really enjoy the flavor. I was kicking myself for coming here... Previous visits to the restaurants at the Connemara Taj, Park Sheraton have been 100 times better than our experience here. Never again will I visit this place nor will I can recommend it to someone for good food.

While leaving the restaurant I asked for the manager(I didn't want to embarrass him inside so I met him outside the restaurant).. I shared my disappointment with the bad service... He did his usual pr stuff.. "thank you sir for the feedback...blah blah... Please give us one more chance to make it up to you". Yeah right, like I was going to spend another $100 to see if they are gonna do a better job... Lots of better restaurants in Chennai, so I would recommend to pass on this one!

• Visited June 2012