“Possibly better than Thailand.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Benjarong

Benjarong
Ranked #20 of 6,613 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Bengaluru, India
“Possibly better than Thailand.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Stumbling upon this place with very little expectation, except for "decent Thai food", my boyfriend and I were WOW'ed and WOW'ed again, first by the ambiance, then the service, the decor, the presentation and then the TASTE!

They first served a tray of "DIY thai-style pan" and we had lots of fun wrapping up toasted coconut, peanuts, ginger, onion, lemon, chilis and palm jaggery syrup into spinach leaves and popping them in our mouths one by one as we waited for our food. Yum!

I had my usual, Som Tam (green papaya salad) which was nearly like you get on the streets of Hat Yai, and we ordered the red snapper which was so delicious and perfectly balanced with all the beautiful flavors you expect to find in Thai food, it was enough for 3-4 people but we somehow polished it off. For desert the water chestnuts in coconut milk was refreshing and tasty, I only missed seeing sticky rice with mango and coconut milk on the desert menu as it's my favorite!

Most of the time the waiters were very attentive and helpful, but a few times we had to help ourselves to extra rice and fish which was a little inconvenient but we came very late and I suppose most staff had already left for the night.

I would make the effort to eat here EVERY time I visit Chennai, at least once. Fantastic!!!

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
“Best Thai Food in Chennai”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

Definitely the best Thai Food in Madras, a bit pricey though, has withstood time in a city that has seen many Thai Restaurants come and go. Also the Japanese Teppan is very good upstairs in the same building. Reservation is a must.

Visited December 2012
Navi Mumbai, India
“Chef Joseph is a master”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Teppanyaki is nothing without a charasmatic chef. Chef Joseph is funny, engaging and likes to chat with his customers. He's a great showman from juggling eggs and catching them on a knife's edge,then breaking it open on the knife edge and drawing out a perfect heart shape with an arrow through it for me and my husband, on to the hot grill surface. HE was juggling salt and pepper shakers and catching them in his chef's hat with an enthusiastic 'BONZAI!" from us. We chose the seafood and the tenderloin/beef menu which comes with beef and chicken. The seafood starter was a tempura fried prawn which was crunchy and just what tempura should be. The tenderloin on a skewer with leeks in an oyster sauce was the star though. Miso soup was very refreshing and the salad with japanese mayo and crunchy bits on top was good too. The main course fish (snapper and basa) were cooked to perfection, it almost tasted like chicken. The tenderloin and chicken thighs were tender, juicy and had a sticky sauce that we were licking off the plates. The rice portions were very large and what I thought would be a small expensive meal turned out to be very filling indeed with all the drama of teppanyaki presentation. The desserts were super impressive. You are whisked off to a separate room and presented with over 15 desserts of which you had to choose 5. NOthing particularly japanese. Chocolate, tiramisu, custard tarts, creme bruelle, mousse, parfaits, cakes all perfectly presented and very indulgent. Stick to the chocolate desserts and parfait as the cakes and tarts were a wee bit dry. This would be a great place to go as an office treat. More the merrier basically and the more the crowd encourages, the more 'BONZAI' the chef gets.

1 Thank gayatriganesh
Mumbai
“Superb Thai Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Had stumbled onto this restaurant by accident some years ago and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent Thai food served. Went back on a very recent trip and glad to find the food just as tasty. The restaurant has become rather busy and at times that can lead to some delays in service. But, the food makes up for other shortcomings. Great food and very reasonable!

• Visited November 2012
Chennai (Madras), India
“A very relaxed ambience with great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had Never tried Japanese food before. So when a friend recommended this place decided to give it a shot and am I happy I did that. This place is in the heart of chennai on TTk road in the same complex as Benjarong Thai restaurant.

The decor inside is very subdued and the lighting just perfect. A very helpful captain initiated me into the mysteries of Japanese food and helped me with the ordering. Being a vegetarian it is always a problem for me. But much to my delight they not only had a choice of veggie dishes and the taste was awesome. It was fascinating to watch the chef do everything with a flourish.

Overall a super place to go to spend a quiet evening with family or friends or business associates.