“A little oasis in the madness!”
Review of Amethyst Cafe

Amethyst Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Royapettah
Description: Set in a verdant garden and verandah of a beautifully restored old warehouse, the Wild Garden Cafe at Amethyst is an oasis in the heart of the city. Our menu offers a carefully curated selection of standard options as well as daily specials. Upstairs, the Amethyst boutique showcases some of India's leading designers across textiles, jewellery, accessories and accents for the home. Bloom, the flower shop, has an exotic and beautiful range of flowers and foliage. Amethyst offers an entire shopping and dining experience.
Reviewed March 26, 2014

This is the place to go to have a coffee and relax... Don't go if you are in a hurry, not that they are slow, but it's just good to relax in the comfy cushioned seats, and enjoy a coffee. They have a great selection of cakes, but I prefer their omelettes.... A decent size as well! Very clean. If I had to compare it with something... a little like an English tea shop! But in the madness of chennai, I have come to enjoy the quiet relaxation you get here!

1  Thank Hells72

Reviewed March 18, 2014

On a sultry afternoon, it is such a refreshing change to step in here and be greeted by a whiff of fresh air...

Great ambiance!! The food is pricey but I guess it is worth it as you pay for the best in class ambience...

Loved the bruschettas... Keep up the good work !

1  Thank apsleo86
Reviewed March 1, 2014

One of my friend suggested this place... n m glad i tuk her advice!The long walk way, the greenary around gives a very refreshing ambience to the place! The Aubergine Pizza was anyday better than the Squid Pizza i tried... which kinda sucked.. I swear by the Darjeeling Tea there. Absolutely loved it! Great atmosphere to chill out by yourself... or with friends! definitely my regular hang-out place!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

First thing to say, I had real trouble finding this. The address and map on here ARE NOT CORRECT. The location is now on White's Road between Express Avenue Mall and the Corporation Bank. There's little signage - go through a small gap in a long fence, pass through the car park and turn left. You immediately enter an oasis: a garden of green foliage just behind one of the dirtiest, noisiest and possibly most dangerous roads in Chennai. Amethyst is a beautiful retreat.

The food was good, in my experience - a decent lasagne and the freshest salad I've had in India - a Greek salad of icy iceberg lettuce, creamy feta cheese and fresh, ripe tomatoes and cucumber, topped with sliced black olives and - a nice touch, this - a tiny pizza. The coffee was good.

But the service was awful. Why aren't the management looking at the comments on here and doing something about it? I counted 6 waiting staff; 5 of whom stood around talking and ignoring customers, while one of their colleagues ran around try to keep up with orders. Is it arrogance? Laziness? Hard to tell, but guys, sort yourselves out, please.

Prices are on the high side for Chennai but would be reasonable for the quality and location, if only there were decent service.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I have traveled to Chennai yearly for 8 years now and always made Amethyst a must stop. However, yesterday my friend (a local) and I had a horrible experience with the food.

I had the nicoise salad and threw up immediately after finishing it. At the table! 6 times to clear my stomach! We called the manager over and told him what happened and I told him I am not paying for the meal. He had the waiter bring me a lime soda with salt.

However, he should have comped the entire meal for us because my friend's meal was inedible for her -- mushroom and olive risotta. It was a cheesy mess. Maybe that was what made me throw up because I had a fork full of hers and that's when the projectile vomiting started!

To make matters worse, I have posted these comments on their Facebook page and our comments are deleted! The Owner should publicly apologise and own up to the fact that their food made me sick. Disgusting food, stay away!