“When is a pint not a pint? When it's a Tamil Pint”
Review of The Leather Bar

The Leather Bar
Ranked #2,578 of 6,689 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Teynampet
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We all know how much a pint is - 568ml right? Not, in the Leather Bar.
Funnily enough though, they do know how to charge as though it is a pint – they also know how to promote it as such, in their menu.
This is not some exotic, imported beer, mind, this is your old faithful Kingfisher. Their definition of a “Tamil pint”? A 330ml, standard bottle.
The six-strong staff in the near-empty boutique bar, with leather on the floor and suede on the walls – complete with cool lounge, House beats – are clearly well versed in explaining this apparent anomaly, to those tourists who dare query it.
“You know the pint as a larger glass – but the Tamil pint is smaller,” the barman says, with no hint of irony, along with the customer-friendly smile, that stays fixed whenever he is “on stage”.
And the price? 400Rupees/nearly £4 – am I back in Birmingham?. I don’t mind paying my way, but I don’t like being misled. We’d paid R185 for the same bottle at a similar boutique hotel across town, the night before.
Inevitably, we were offered two subsequent “pints”, but instead asked for the bill and left. We are clearly not the kind of clientele they aim themselves at, ie. not business people, travelling on expense accounts, who don’t have time to compare prices, or probably the inclination.
Fair enough – we’ll just head to Hotel Ranjith, just down the street – R700 for four large beers, not R800 for two small bottles.

2  Thank schaffy
There are newer reviews for The Leather Bar

Reviewed October 18, 2013

A friend and I visited Leather Bar on a Wednesday night. The place was pretty empty and there were more servers than patrons. That still didn't stop us from receiving poor service.

From our watered-down, overpriced drinks to the lukewarm apps we received, the whole experience was suprisingly disappointing, especially considering all these great reviews here.

Unfortunately, their automatic 10% service charge and expensive prices, mean that I won't give them a second chance.

1  Thank whiskeyknits
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The first time I visited leather bar was seven years back. The standards haven't depleted since then. The ambiance is good, good music is played and the food is really tasty too. The drinks are quite expensive but guess that's how these star hotels charge. The staff are extremely friendly and one can strike a conversation with them easily. One Mr Krish, a bar tender, was extremely friendly not just with us but all the guests. My friend and I ordered chicken 65 and it was scrumptious. Garlic cheese bread was splendid too. One will always notice many celebrities hanging out here. During my previous visits, I've seen Actor Vikram, tennis star Nadal, Actor Simbu, and many more cinema stars. Leather bar is definitely a good place to hangout and especially late.

1  Thank Pritish S
Reviewed April 1, 2013

been in Chennai for the past 7 years.
One of the better bars around and consistent in its service and hype.
Try Monday's Hotelier's night. Fun for all..

Reviewed January 19, 2013

great ambience in the bar and great snacks also, the bar pricing is also great .. i would recommend the same to any one wanting a nice place to hang out