“Prime Location make a difference in Corporate World!”
Review of SRM Hotel

and 1 more site!
SRM Hotel
Ranked #61 of 394 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Chieri, Italy
“Prime Location make a difference in Corporate World!”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed in this Hotel and great location point, that it takes only half an hour to reach from the airport, plus away from the hussel - bussel of the city traffic.

Wonderful staff! from Front office, Housekeeping to Food & Beverage and not to miss the professional Chef’s for a decent Indian Cuisine.
Sadly the breakfast require some more Continental spread out with live cooking and the pool area is not utilized for a grill dinner or evening happy hours.

Rooms are quite spacious with all required amenities only the bathroom designing is the drawback.

Certainly look forward to be SRM Hotel regular Guest!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank SMSLifeStyle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 27, 2013

First, let me preface my review by stating that this review is for a 12-day stay at this property in 2007, but I checked with the hotel and they told me that they would appreciate it if I wished to post a review here at Trip Advisor about my stay at their hotel.

I stayed here for almost 2 weeks in 2007; I did not choose the hotel myself, and rather, the Chennai-based company for which I was doing some consulting put me up here. while I was working at one of their plants located near Chengalputti (to the south of the hotel).

I found the hotel to be quite suitable in almost all regards, although there were some minor problems at times, particularly with some front desk clerks and bell staff who seemed to be poorly-trained but nonetheless friendly, and a hotel manager later explained to me that the hotel serves as a training ground for hotel services students at the nearby SRM College, and that thus some of the front desk staff and other staffers were actually students who were getting on-the-job internship training. In fact, the hotel manager in question explained to me that he is a professor at the college in the hotel management/services division, and that he personally supervised man of the student trainees.

I found the hotel to be reasonably clean and well-maintained, but I want to pause here and say that if you are looking for a luxury hotel, or for a very modern hotel, or for a trendy hotel with lots of glitz and glamor, then you will want to avoid this hotel. However, if you are simply looking for a decent hotel with decent – but not at all modern – rooms, then this should be a fine hotel for you. I will write more about this below.

I am from the USA, and, over the past 18 years, I have stayed at literally hundreds of hotels located across America. Some of these hotels were small 2-star hotels located in tiny towns, while others were 5-star hotels located in large cities, and so I have experience with a wide variety of hotels in all sorts of price classes. From that vantage point, I want to say that I found this hotel to be entirely suitable for my needs. In light of that, I was quite amused to read two fairly recent reviews of this hotel here on this page at Trip Advisor which were written by travelers who grew up in India, and who nonetheless gave the hotel a very low rating, claiming that the hotel was quite terrible. What was amusing to me was that the vast majority of things that they found "terrible" in their reviews, I simply found quaint, or even relaxing and enjoyable. I will give some examples below:

Yes, it is true that the carpet and even the bed blanket and quilt/cover in my room were quite old and worn. However, they were very clean, and very workable, and thus I did not mind those facts at all, but rather, appreciated them.

Yes, it is true that the bathroom and its fixtures were quite old, and some even a bit rusty, but they all functioned quite well, and I never had any complaints. I certainly did not find them to be "unhygienic", as one of the above-mentioned reviewers claimed.

Yes, the heating/ventilation/air conditioning ductwork and grilles were very old and a bit noisy, and I could, if I listened carefully, even hear sounds of a multitude of workers hard at work in the laundry room and kitchen coming up through the ductwork, but 1 personally found this to be harmless, and simply one more interesting facet of life in India.

When I travel, I carry my own toiletries, and so I did not expect the hotel to provide a wide selection of first-rate toiletries, nor a hair dryer! I was quite amazed to see some travelers criticize the hotel in this regard in their reviews!

Yes, the wardrobe was quite ancient, and well-worn, but it functioned well, and it actually helped to give a certain ambiance to the room.

I found the TV to be very old, but totally workable.

It did not bother me at all that there was no dry cleaning option available for clothes, for all I wanted and needed was plain and simple, and inexpensive, water washing for the few items of clothing that I wished to be laundered!

Yes, the heating/ventilation and A/C system was a bit noisy at times, but it was totally tolerable, and not out of line with a stay at a midrange hotel located in India.

I ate in the hotel restaurant a number of times for breakfast and dinner, and once I met with a business colleague from northern India in the restaurant for lunch. In all cases, I found both the Western food and the India food to be fine, and I found the southern India food to be very spicy and tasty, and well-prepared.

It was a bit hard to get the attention of the waiters in the restaurant at times, but this seems to be a problem across India, and so I cannot single out the restaurant in this hotel for particularly bad service due to that factor! It has far more to do with the culture in India, and with training standards for waitstaff across India, than it does with this particular restaurant!

I had not brought a laptop PC with me on my trip, and rather, the hotel arranged to allow me to use a web-connected "business center" PC informally located in one of their offices on the ground floor, for a tiny charge per hour, and I found this to be quite acceptable, although the Internet connection was quite slow, as was normal for much of India in 2007.

If I were to return to this area, I would not hesitate to again stay at this hotel! It was totally suitable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Vinny067
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed there while getting my son's admission process.
Location for SRM university - outstanding
Food - edible and not a problem
Price - slightly expensive
Room - clean but nothing great
AC - very poor control - either too cold or too hot

overall - suited my need though it should be priced slightly cheaper

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank peekaye07
New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I came to Chennai for my college admission. SRM Hotel was my choice. Due to some reason our 1 floor rooms were changed to 3 floor. The rooms were extremely clean. The bathrooms were quite large and clean. The room service was fast enough. The bed was so comfortable that after a tiring flight journey of 3 hrs from Delhi, my father and me slept for 4 hrs straight in the middle of the afternoon. We were woken by the reception people only at about 3.30pm. The staff was courteous. We were offered a complementary drop the Chennai airport next day evening. The food was costly. But been 2 of us, it wasn't a problem. It was very delicious.

I recommend this hotel to the other travelers too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Anurag B
Cambridge
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed at SRM Hotel, Chennai for a day before my flight back. Booking a room was a bit difficult, online reservations did not work and this hotel was not on standard booking websites. I had to call and make a booking. The check-in was quick and easy. However, there were too many staff at the check-in desk, which was a bit awkward. The room facing the lake was clean and cozy. The view from the window was excellent. The numbering in lifts were a bit confusing - roons 40- onwards was on floor 3, and so forth. Food was good. Check out took longer than I expected - they had to go to the room and check the minibar etc etc. I also booked a car to go back to the airport. The car driver took his friend along with him. It was a bit intimidating to have two people in the front seats. My overall experience was good. The cost was bit too much compared to hotels of similar sort elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book for rooms facing the lake.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Kumaravelts
srmhotelchennai, Front Office Manager at SRM Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Sir,

Due to some traffic police checking all the vehicles before airport and same day in a previous drop in a indica cab a foreign guest nearly would have missed the flight. The drivers friend u have mentioned is our hotel. Mazda cab driver, in case if. Checking was got delayed then our another driver would have got down with our cab papers. The intension of our driver is to drop you in time. Sorry if you have felt inconvenience. And room booking can be done through email srmhotel_chennai@yahoo.co.in, we will revert back Immediately. Or you can visit our website www.srmhotels.com for room reservation.

Looking forward to see you again.

Have a nice day.

Front office manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

On my recent trip to India, I decided to visit my nephew and SRM hotel became my de facto choice for the two night stay, due to its proximity. Having landed just that morning, I was really looking for a comfortable night's (and day's) sleep and was initially a bit apprehensive. However, I felt pretty relaxed the moment I arrived at the hotel. The staff were exceptionally courteous and friendly and they went the extra mile to accommodate couple of special requests that I had upon check in.

I was checked into a serene and quite lake view room and that did really help me shrug-off the dreaded jet-lag the very next morning. Coming back home to india was a surreal experience for me, having been out for so long - but I am glad I got to visit my nephew and also importantly kick back and recharge with a long overdue R&R. I spent so much of my stay inside the hotel, I even got to use the pool - which was well tended for. Finally the food - it was such a welcome relief for my parched palette.

Overall, its a pretty good hotel and I checked out a happy camper.

Room Tip: Get the lakeview room if possible.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank SeaSR
srmhotelchennai, Manager at SRM Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thanks for your visit, . Through your review we understood that we stood to your expectations and its our pleasure and mainly duty to serve our guests inspite of timings whatever it is morning or
late night. Thank you for your feed back.

And we welcome you again to visit our hotel .

Front Office Manager
SRM Hotel
Bangalore
Reviewed March 13, 2013

calm accomidation next time if i am above to visit chennai (madras) i prefer this hotel stay. since the hotel is near to my new client company. front office people help me to visit near by tourist place during week end as i dont know the local place. food is for me and my collegues. internet is ok but i need very high speed, internet guy can try for that.

Room Tip: Deluxe room seems to be ok.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Kannan_CGI
srmhotelchennai, Front Office Manager at SRM Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Mr.Kannan,

You are most welcome to visit your client company by staying with us. Hope you are from bangalore and now here the tourist attractions has started as the schools and colleges are
closed for summer holiday. You can visit near by Zoological Park, Vedanthangal Birds Sanctuary, Mahabalipuram beach and cave temple, and also kancheepuram temple city and many more places like marina beach, santhome beach and nearby churches and temples.

R.Rajagopal
Front Office Manager
SRM Hotel - Chennai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chennai (Madras)
Kalyan Hometel, Vandalur - Chennai
Hotel S.R.M. Grands
Hotel S.R.M. Grands
#183 of 394 in Chennai (Madras)
Holiday Inn Express Chennai Mahindra World City
Fortune Select Grand
Fortune Select Grand
#45 of 394 in Chennai (Madras)
Bell Hotel - Chennai
Bell Hotel - Chennai
#67 of 394 in Chennai (Madras)
Ranga Residency
Ranga Residency
#2 of 2 in Chengalpattu

Been to SRM Hotel? Share your experiences!