“Comfortable Stay at reasonable cost”

Sea Shell Residency
Sea Shell Residency
Ranked #228 of 388 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Bengaluru, India
“Comfortable Stay at reasonable cost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2011

We wanted a hotel for 1 night. I looked pricing on one website and then to confirm few details called at reception. Receptionist was very nice and said anyway you called here, no need to book anywhere. Please let us know your details and we will keep booking. I read few feedback regarding breakfast so I asked whether there is any breakfast. Answer was straight that we offer only sandwiches in breakfast. It was nice to see honest reply.

It was very nice and comfortable. If I have limited budget, I would for sure like to stay at this place once again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank SatKD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bengaluru, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I booked this because it's very close to the US Consulate where I had some work to get done. The whole idea was that I was just going there for a day and needed a clean place to sleep. But the room I was given had a musty smell (not been opened or ventilated in a long while) and at about 5:00am loud devotional music started blaring from the neighborhood. So much for a good night's rest.

The sandwiches and coffee served in the complimentary breakfast were substandard - soggy toast, milky lukewarm coffee, no butter with the toast.

When I came back in the afternoon after finishing my work at the Embassy, to catch up on sleep, there was some loud noisy drilling and construction work going on in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank PlanMy_Travel

Travelers are raving about these Chennai (Madras) hotels

Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

I spent a week at the Sea Shell Residency in mid November 2011, and agree with other reviewers that at this price its a pretty good deal. The room was clean, bathroom (with hot water) and location are all good, morning tea or coffee available from 06.30, free wifi in reception. But the best part of my stay was from the staff - all were courteous, helpful and accommodating and tried to answer all requests. As a single female traveller it felt very safe and secure - not at all 'sleazy' (as some hotels in India in this price range can sometimes feel with a lot of random males hanging about reception) ) Yes - the colony next door can be a little noisy if there is a festival and yes, you do hear morning azan from the nearby mosque - but you are right in the centre of a typical noisy Indian city so its to be expected. Vegetarian restaurant about 100m down the road next to MRF office is very clean, has AC and food was good. . Will definitely stay here again when I visit Chennai next year.

Room Tip: Higher floors semm a bit quieter
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank HelenGDorset
Москва
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights at an Executive room of this hotel, 1st floor, windows overlooking the road in front of the hotel. The room was really spacious and reasonably well-maintained, although we had to ask for some tidying before we actually unpacked our suitcases (dust on the table, on the bedhead).

Room service was very good - they did cleaning in our room every day without us specifically asking for this and the hotel management didn't charge for this on top of our bill. Complimentary breakfast (2 sandwiches per person and tea/coffee) was good as well.
The hotel staff had no problems in understanding us - in other places I was often annoyed by a need to repeat my words twice or thrice in my very clear English with no guarantee I was understood correctly.

I made my booking via the hotel's website and paid for it by my credit card - there was no problem with this at all. I was given a confirmation by an e-mail and everything went smoothly both at check-in and check-out.

Community around the hotel can sometimes be a bit noisy, but for us this only added to the overall flavour of the place which was pretty fascinating, to be honest. For example, when we moved in a wedding was celebrated outside until late at night and noise was actually overpowering. But that lasted 1 day only, interrupted by a brief night sleep :) and we treated this as an exotic piece of entertainment - after all we were allowed to have a look at it too. A mosque is situated nearby and we regularly heard the call of a muezzin – another peculiar touch of the place.

Overall I would recommend this hotel. Also its location is great for those who are interested in major shopping malls, shops and bookstores of Chennai (we were). Cafes are in vicinity of the hotel too.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M-ia D
Dubai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2011

This is a well maintained small hotel which seems to be very popular with mostly middle class arab families from middle east coming to the country for various treatments that are available in Chennai. The location is good, close to Apollo Hospital, and the staff are ok. Food is good, specially non veg ones, and so is room service, though a little slow. The location is an advantage as you can travel to any part of the city from here. Rooms are not small as some review says, they are just average rooms as in average hotels, but maintained and clean. Worth for a short stay, sure !

Room Tip: Be careful of some of the rooms that has balconies overlooking a community living area behind the ho...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JChatterjee
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

I found this hotel to be good value for money, and good for someone who needs to visit US Consulate.
Positives
1) Close to US consulate
2) Reasonable Price
3) Free Breakfast - 2 Sandwitches + Coffee

The negatives include
1) The rooms were very small
2) The rooms was clean, but the bedsheets etc were not clean.
3) The place was very noisy, and you get hear traffic. Also, there was a loud prayer at around 5 AM in a nearby place of religious worship.
4) Checkout took long time for me.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank ravi_trivedi
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for around 1.5 days during our whirlwind tour to Darjeeling (Mangalore- Bangalore-Chennai-Delhi- Darjeeling).

Great thing about this place is that, your rupee goes a long way here. We reached this place in the night and coming from the Chennai Airport was no brainer since every cab guy knew this place.

I tipped the porter who took us to the room 20Rs. This changed the quality of our stay dramatically. After sometime we saw that the A/C was not working very well and i called the reception for this guy. He changed us to a different room and took a lot of care to see that AC worked very well and he made some tweaks to the room with passion. One of the greatest sleeps of my life was had.

The room was very good for its price. Value for money and clean. Room was quite big. The hotel is situated quite nicely to get anywhere in Chennai. There is this dhaba nearby which serves awesome north-indian food.

Going back to the Chennai Airport the next day, we were given royal treatment. We would come back just to get this royal service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple