“Convenient”

Hotel Maurya International
Ranked #139 of 400 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have stayed more than 25 times in this hotel between 1998 & 2006. The place was central to the factories that I visited. The breakfast catered mainly for Indian Veg guest. I was not complaining about the food. The rooms varied in size but the rate did not. The staff were ok at that time & used to always reserve a room for me even if the hotel was full. I used to be out during day & only came back at night & cannot comment about anything during day. I hope they improve on the A/C as there was some musty smell in the small rooms towards the rear of the building. I generally took the ones in front of the building.

Room Tip: Opt for the rooms in front of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Harsha P
There are newer reviews for Hotel Maurya International

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Pluses: location and access to airport, hospitals, 24 hour check out.

Minuses: poor maintenance, poor service

made an order for mineral water thrice to the room service & bell hop, it was delivered after i went out 3hrs later!
The rooms are not well cleaned and smelt of cigarette smoke when i entered and took about 30 minutes to go after the ac came on. the bathroom shower curtain had fallen off! The suite had a dining table though.
The cafeteria served decent breakfast though brown bread was not there. THe fare was simple and clean Quarter plates were missing and had to be asked for, cutlery is sans knife. No meat served for b'fast anyway.
Visit the place to convince yourself. If you are looking for just a bed, 24 hrs check out, its OK.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank harihara m
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Friends please never select this hotel ever.
The only reason I chose and booked this hotel online was seeing the location map and the room images shown in various websites...
But I was left totally aghast upon arrival and viewing my room.
First of all it was bloody stinky and had a filthy odour (maybe coz the windows are permanently sealed and no room fresheners used) as soon as I entered, and it was too small and outdated (built in 1993-sadly I should have done some research before booking) and dusty with cobwebs and all totally giving a nauseating feeling.
Secondly Its impossible to move inside the bathroom and even breathe properly...
But the thing that hurt me the most is when I realised that the complimentary wifi that was part of the deal was not working for the past few days and so I was literally stuck for two days without my social networking sites and moreover I had to roam around in search for a net cafe to do my online ticketing and other stuff...
So I was totally dissappointed with my 2 days stay especially after paying Rs 2600/day for this filthy thing... The hotel's name itself is a misnomer - Maurya "International" ! Yeah ryt!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank DrVivekVV
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed here, for couple of days in March, again in April and now in July. Let me give review under 3 categories, namely, Room and Service, Food , People.

a) Room and Service : Overall I am quite happy with the rooms here (Once stayed in 608, once in 607 and recently in 307). Though rooms are bit small, its quite well maintained and I am happy to mention that I didnt see any rhodents as such during any of my stays here. AC is quite pleasant. TV position sometimes irked me, but, quality and number of channels are very good. Being from Karnataka, was glad to see so many kannada channels and really thank the concerned for this. Lighting is something , that needs bit more professional touch. Sun screens have been put up to the Windows and this doesnt allow good light into the room, during day times. I always love some sun shine, inside the room, but absolutely there is none (particular about room 307). Also, 307 is bit congested and the coffee table / chair is just pushed to one edge, and very difficult to sit there. If there are two people, absolutely no way to sit across the table. In the bath room, the bathing space is too small. One will keep hitting the wall / glass wall while taking bath. Morning times, we do get good hot water. Satisfied with Toiletries kept. Pillows are too soft, and doesnt give good support to neck/head while sleeping and many a time, its bit unpleasant using them.
Room service is quite good . What I liked the most is their complementary break fast, Wifi in the room (very fast - I really appreciate this). Newspaper is also complementary and usually I found it at door step, by 6am!!! good.

Food - As a Vegetarian, I do like their morning breakfast items and also, north indian dishes. Quite satisfied with the quality and taste.

People - Overall I am fine, since most of them are quite courteous and smiling. Had one bad experience (it repeated during my stay on all the 3 occasions I have mentioned). At restaurant, they dont pay back the change promptly. Not sure why or what they think of it. For ex : If bill is 186 rupees and I pay 200 rupees, I get back only 10Rs and not the remaining 4 rs . This has been habitual and I strongly condemn this. Why the hell they should hold back, however small the change is. They have absolutely no business to do it, and that too without any reasoning. They dont even cared to let me know why they are not paying!!! So, this time I did react bit strongly and told them to be better mannered. This did spoil my overall experience and thats the key reason I want to give them Average rating. Also, while I was having dinner, AC was switched off for some maintenance. Its horrible to sit in the restaurant, without AC, as there is absolutely no vent. Then I was told, AC would be back in 10 mts, and as usual even after 45 mts, there was still no sign of it. I dont know what happened after that, as I Checked out!!! . Keeping some Table fans for such periods, would be one option. By calling themselves International and doing these things, doesnt help much.

Location wise, its at the best place, with lots of restaurants, malls nearby. There is a theatre, famous Murugan temple, Saravana bhavan all at a 5 mts walk distance.

Anyway, even with all this, I still honestly feel, its a hotel offering good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank trvenkat2013
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Very average hotel - defintely not up to any international standards - so not sure why they have their title as part of their name!
Reception staff are not friendly and can't get simple things right. Had to wait in reception for 30 minutes to have my room cleaned.
Rooms are basic - lots of mosquitoes & very little or nothing is done about when you alert house-keeping.
Breakfast & dinner are very basic south Indian style.
Rates are high for what you get.
Location in ok - but will be better once new mall nearby opens up - otherwise need to take taxi or auto to nearest mall.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The breakfast was better last time.The room service is still good.The restaurant service too is almost the same.This time my room was smaller.The WiFi quality is still impeccable.The centralized AC is really very good.Still one of my choices as a hotel in Chennai specially at this rate.
I hope the hotel had a choice of newspapers in the room (the provide only Hindu. TOI would have been a bit better.)

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower (First & Second) floors are larger.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveller2enjoy
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have been stuck in this Hell for a few weeks now.
The rooms are adequate (well, my toilet stopped flushing last night and still no one has come to check it after repeated calls to reception) but this hotel is simply not worth your mental energy.
Primarily because of the staff.
The place is run by complete idiots. Every interaction I have had just ends up infuriating me, the staff are so incredibly stupid.
We're talking 'serve toast and butter with a SPOON to smear the butter on' stupid.
On top of that, their kitchen is [--] terrible. They have a restaurant/ bar here and every night it is dead... No one comes here, it's so bad.
Bad food, bad preparation, inconsistent portions... I've returned raw omelettes, veg dishes with prawn tails found in them... Their kitchen is a [--] disgrace.
This is my first trip to Chennai on business and sadly this hotel has killed the city for me. I have no interest to step out even. I'm just done with this whole experience. I'm never coming back here... I'll quit my company before ever coming back to Chennai. I can't deal with such idiots..

On the plus side, their laundry service is has so far been on time and they haven't lost any clothes.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business