“Home from home”
Review of GreenPark Chennai

GreenPark Chennai
Ranked #20 of 398 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
North Oxfordshire
“Home from home”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

There are other hotels in Chennai with more pretence of grandeur and luxury, but none that I have come across with the same friendly courtesy that makes me feel so much at home. The staff are just great, and the rooms and facilities are comfortable and spacious without being unduly fussy or ostentatious. The beds are comfortable, and the bathrooms are clean - and the showers are first rate. The room service is pretty much flawless, the food is delicious - what more could you want?

A good hotel bar, I hear you say. Here there is a choice of good bars; my personal favourite is the Escape bar, reputed to be the best place for a really good game of pool anywhere in town.

Green Park is my first choice always in Chennai.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Greenparkchennai, General Manager at GreenPark Chennai, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear guest

We wish to sincerely thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back to the Green Park Chennai.

Sudip Sengupta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Worldwide
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I travelled to Chennai with my wife and son for a wedding in June. We were looking for a hotel close to the wedding venue and settled on Green Park based on trip advisor reviews.
The hotel exceeded our expectations in every aspect. The only downside is accessibility - it is situated on a busy road and is easily accessible from one side. If you are on the other side of the road, however, you have two options - go quite a way and take a U turn or take some narrow roads to get to the correct side of the road.
We had lunch at the restaurant with some friends. The food is delicious and the price is great. The liquor prices are probably the best I have seen anywhere. I was drinking single malt all afternoon at 300/- a large!!!
The rooms are spacious and clean. Room service is quick and efficient. Breakfast in the business lounge provides a vast spread of both Indian and Continental fare. The pool is adequately sized and has super clean water - no smell of chlorine. All in all, an excellent hotel. We are definitely coming back again.
What they need to improve is the quality of their check in and check out process. Check in consisted of checking the ID of myself and my wife (This is the first time I have been asked for the ID of my wife - I was wondering what they would have done if I was travelling with someone other than my wife :) ). Another strange thing : The person at the counter took our IDs, photocopied them and then took an inordinately long time to return them. He left them in the scanner and my wife specifically asked for them, but he still seemed hesitant to give them back.
Also, they took pictures of both me and my wife. So now they have my credit card, a copy of my drivers licence and my photograph. I am not at all comfortable with this. :(
Check out was strange too. There are three or four counters at the front desk and there were at least six people behind the counter, but they made me wait for 10 mins before checking me out. Apparently, only one of the people at the front desk knew how to operate the card machine. Even the person who helped me held a lengthy conversation with one of his colleagues about a room service bill that had not been paid - this was in the middle of helping me and I just stood around waiting for an additional 5 or 6 minutes.
I am giving this hotel 5 stars in spite of this because my overall stay in the hotel was excellent. The check out process was not bad - it just took around 20 minutes and I found it strange. that a hotel that does everything else right has so much of a problem with such a simple thing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for your generous comments. We are grateful to you for the time and effort you have taken to give your feedback. I have noted your observations on the checking in and out process, and am truly sorry about the inconvenience. The team takes feedback very seriously and corrective measures have been put in place.

New Delhi, Delhi, India
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We booked this hotel for our week long stay.Nice pleasant stay. The food and service was very good specially Breakfast. All staff were good and supportive. It is the perceptive and friendly service that makes it worth.Love to stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went to India for our winter vacations from London, UK in Dec 2011. We went to Chennai for a friends get-together and there only we were recommended Green Park Vadapalani. Having never heard of this hotel before we were very skeptical about the services/standard but "WHAT A RETREAT" it was.

Junior Suite was approx £100
Great location (3kms from the shopping area and 12 kms from the airport).
Friendly staffs.
Nicely decorated interiors.
"Escape" is highly recommended for the fine dine.
Cocktails are great in the "Mustang Bar", however I would like to see more varieties.
All in all a great place to stay, relax and enjoy great food.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Roanoke, Virginia, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I attended a Inaugural party of a senior functionary. The food and service was very good. The taste of the food was also great. I enjoyed the veg soup and fruit kheer. Fruit kheer was first time for me in India. The taste was great and it was not so sweat as well. The cocktail snacks were also good.

Room Tip: Keep up the same
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Greenparkchennai, General Manager at GreenPark Chennai, responded to this review, June 17, 2013

Gurgaon, Haryana, India
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Hi, it was our 3rd anniversary when we visited for our dinner at Hotel Greenpark Chennai. I was surprised the way i was attended by the staff especially Sushant & Chandru and also got some take away gift for me & my wife ( Gents & Ladies Purse). It was appreciated. It was really a royal treatment for us. Also not forgetting the food which had a plenty of item spread at buffet with delicious desserts. My wife had recommended this anniversary as the best in last three years.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed there from 28th May 2013 to 30th May 2013. Stay was comfortable. We stayed at one of the Junior Suites. The wash rooms have a mild smell of drain pipes,which makes the use of the washrooms slightly irritating. We got the Housekeeping people to clean the washrooms and also spray some room-fresheners, yet there was not much improvement. We are vegetarians and we also don't take food with Onion/Garlic/Mushroom; because of this our food choice was limited and they did help us with this on the day of checking-in and the next day. However on the day of check-out, we were terribly disappointed with the service provided at the business lounge where we were asked to go for our breakfast. The service there was very poor. I personally feel the hotel rooms could do with a bit of face-lifting.

Room Tip: Please do not choose Junior Suites.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments. We are grateful to you for the time and effort you have taken to give your feedback.

On behalf of he team at Green Park, I wish to apologize for the inconveniences during this visit. Corrective measures have been taken to address the issues and I am sure you would find a difference on your next visit.