“Good for long term stays”

Star City Hotel & Serviced Apartments
Ranked #213 of 403 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Been here since August 2011 for a long term project together with 10+ people. The management accommodate to our requests as much as they could and this made our stay more comfortable.

We are able to cook our own food and walking distance to convenience stores, vegetable stores and take away places.

Rooms are okay, spacious in my opinion, the regular studio rooms though are quite cramped if you require your own cooking station (for long term stay). Would suggest their studio with kitchenette (the ones at the 2nd floor has an office) or any of the studio rooms facing the road are better than the regular studio rooms because they're more spacious.

With the recent addition of a Mainland China restaurant at the ground level is definitely a plus since we can have the food sent up to our rooms as well.

It's 5 kms. away from Express Avenue and Spencer plaza (shopping malls) and just one block away from Usman Road which is the main road for jewelry and bargain stores.

There are nearby parks for walks, but going to those parks is not very pedestrian friendly.

Room Tip: Would recommend the rooms facing the street and from the 3rd floor and above since the ventilation o...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Maria S
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

First of all, please accept our sincere gratitude in staying with us for such a long duration and hat too as a large group. We are very happy to know that you have enjoyed you stay with us. You'll also be glad to know that besides the new Mainland China restaurant, our property has undergone several other improvements so you can be rest assured of a fantastic serviced apartment experience in Chennai!!

Reviewed September 29, 2011

My Stay at Star City was great. The Staff very friendly & cordial. It's good to find an hotel which has rules. I miss the complimentry Breakfasts due to their renovation wk. I'm just waiting for the new Star City especially restaurant with a bar.Hope it's ready for the new years.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Sameer008
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This has got to be by far the worst experience that I have had, from check-in to amenities, to cleaning to checkout, absolutely pathetic.

Had gone on a business trip with 3 colleagues for 3 nights, and here are "some" of the problems that we faced:

1. Check-in: While checking in, no one knew the details of our bookings, rates or whether advance had been received or not. Further on being showed to our rooms, they weren't really Twin Room DELUX APARTMENTS at all.

2. The Set-top box (TV) in one of the rooms was not working . There was no card in the set-top box. As soon as we entered, we informed the same to the front desk/ reception. Every time, we were told that its being done, and it will get rectified in the next few hours, but full 3 days it wasn't fixed.

3. Amenities: When you book an "apartment", you expect some amount of kitchen facilities. In fact, all that they had was a refrigerator and a sink. There was no microwave, gas, tea/coffee maker, no crockery/utensils - it was absolutely bare.
On asking the reception, we were told that they don't provide microwave/stove, and everything else you had to ask for (plates, etc.). We asked for basic crockery, and that was also delivered only after we asked for it like 5 times.

4. House-keeping: The second day, after a full-day of work, when we returned to our apartment, we found that our rooms had not been cleaned. Before leaving, we had put the "clean my room" switch on in both the rooms. On inquiring about it, we were told that we needed to leave the keys at the reception, and inform then that we wanted our rooms cleaned. Apparently, they don't keep a master set of keys for the rooms. We were not informed of this either during check-in or when we had asked the reception to call us a taxi in the morning, when leaving for work.
Also, their housekeeping is on duty till only 7pm, and since it was after 7pm, there was nothing that could be done, so we had to sleep in the messy apartment.

5. "Deluxe Apartment": In a So called Deluxe apartment , only three chairs were available in a Drawing/ sitting room round table with four person accommodations. Additionally, there was no chair in one of the rooms near the writing table. On asking for a chair, we were told that all rooms are booked, so they can't help us.
What was even weird was that one day when we returned from work, we found that one of the round tables from one of the rooms (including the chairs) had disappeared, and my colleagues laptop (that he had left on the table) was found atop the refrigerator.

6. Cockroaches/cleanliness: Every room - drawing room, both toilets, kitchen area, was full of cockroaches. We complained about the same the first night itself, but nothing was done during our three night stay.
In addition, there was a lot of dust accumulated on things like the table, telephone, etc. so much so, that one of our colleagues used to keep coughing and sneezing whenever we were in the room. As soon as we would leave the premises, his allergies would be fine, so it obviously had something to do with the lack of cleanliness in our rooms.

7. Stingy: At check-in, we were provided 2 bottles of mineral water, and the next day we were told that only first day water is complimentary. Additionally, every time you requested a towel, they would charge us Rs. 25 (In fact, they only had big towels, and no hand towels at all). It was not a question of money - it was just surprising that a serviced apartment, would be so penny-foolish.

So overall, we had the worst experience ever especially for the price that we paid (equivalent to a 4-star hotel rate). A 1-2 star hotel can provide a much better quality of stay that we experienced.

Please please please - do not stay here ever!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank rajat999
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you for your review. Many of the complaints you have indicated are certainly an exaggeration as they could have been solved immediately if you had bought it to the attention of either the Guest relations Manager or the Front Office Manager on the duration of your stay. We also have a feedback page on our website where you could have contacted us.

Anyway, since almost a year has elapsed, we dont wish to dispute your complaints and offer our apologies. We also invite you to stay with us one more time and see for your self the many improvements and renovations which we have brought into our property. We will be happy to welcome you again and promise you a better and quality experience this time.

room keys We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay and would love you to have aboard with us once more. We have made many new improvements to our entire property

Reviewed June 5, 2011

it was my 1st visit to Chennai, and normally as a single traveller I look for a budget hotel. I found this serviced apartment a real value for money. To be honest I was expecting a low-end palce just to spend my nights in, but I found it so well furnished, clean and organized, that I will recommend to my couple friends in Prague as well. Thanks to the friendly staff who make this offer even better by making me feel like at home!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank marum2002
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Had a fair to attend in Chennai for a week so brought along my family and my kids. This was my 10th trip in the last 2 years and I regret not having stayed here. In fact, I booked this as a last resort as I wanted to be around T Nagar and other hotels were either booked or were expensive. Having read the scary reviews here, I had also warned my family not to have great expectations.

How wrong was I ! This was superb. For the comparatively low price we paid, we were not only offered a 10% discount but also upgraded to a large 2 bedroom apartment that had all the amenities that we would need. It was cozy, very spacious, comfortable beds and the AC just worked fine. The bathroom was clean with no leaks or drips and we had a separate living room too. There were add-ons like a fridge, microwave, etc but we hardly used them as we were mostly out during the day. The restaurant in the lobby is large, I think its called the Laughing Buddha and we loved the South Indian breakfast there (we skipped it on the last 2 days as we were at Mamallapuram). The staff are all very pleasant and friendly.

Yes, this is not exactly a 5 star hotel but a 3 star luxury Serviced Apartment so don't expect 5 star service (especially when you are paying such cheap rates). Nonetheless, you need to appreciate the fact that you are getting all this for a price of hotel room (thats actually cheaper than whats on offer in a 3 star hotel down the same road where I had stayed 4 months ago)

If you can ignore small glitches and a little slow service, go for Star City. Its truly in the heart of the city and is unbeatable value.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tempusasia
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your positive review. If you are in Chennai again, we would be happy to welcome again and offer a even better service than your last visit as our serviced apartments are fully renovated now besides a new lobby and India's leading Chinese restaurant chain - right inside the hotel.

Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed in Star City Hotel Bazzula Street for almost 3 Months.......I was on a project in chennai from my company....their were few of my friends living in Star City Santome some in Star City Creasent park......but I thing we were better off as my company said that they are providing me the best appartment being a top notched employee......But if this is what they called is best then some one need to correct there defination of hospitality....I would say this is not a hotel or a apparments...it more then a hostel.....where you have policy....have you heared a hotel have policy for their customer.....something like you cannot come back late in the hotel.....no one can visit you after 20:00.....and the worst part was I was suppose to stay there for nearly 3 months...when you stay for such a long time in any hotel you expect somethng extra...but forget the extra they had crap.....they gave us complimentary breakfast.....which was just constant southindia....and that southindia was not even authentic southindia it use to suck...........now a hotel always know that who ever would stay in their hotel would be a outsider not from the local area....so they cannot expect us to eat their food every morning.....their policy use to change every morning....i wish i would have meet their MD and would have advice him to give us a copy of policy everymorning so that we knew what we need to do everymorning...........they made my life hell..........A/C in the room is on one corner which is no way in line with ur beds......they call is as service appartment...but their is no kitchen which make a hotel room different from an service appartment.........infact few of my friends staying in Santome reported it was haunted....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Starcitychennai, Public Relations Manager at Star City Hotel & Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2011

We apologize for any inconveniences you have had during your stay with us. Being a serviced apartment, we offer the luxury of your own apartment compared to a conventional hotel room at very economical costs. Our price for the vantage location in T.Nagar and comforts we provide in our serviced apartments cannot be matched by any hotel in our vicinity. Having this in mind, expecting full-fledged hotel and five star facilities for the price we bill (especially long stay and corporate customers) is not feasible. Nonetheless, we have still improved all our services and brought in efficiencies to ensure all our guests have a delightful stay. Therefore, we request you to stay with us once again. We would be very happy to welcome you again and assure you of a pleasant stay.

Reviewed March 31, 2010

We (two colleagues on a business) stayed at the "service" apartment for 4 nights on a business. I think the hotel used to be good – the management is slaging and therefore also the hotel. The service is terrible!: starting from the room service, the extremely slow serving breakfast, bad coffee, lack of internet (even though they said they could be provide internet for three days in a row), slow check-out (½ hour), ect. Ect.
To sum up; the place has a fancy internet page and a shiny lobby, but are very bad when you check in.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Please accept our apologies for not being up to mark during your stay. Our services and our guest facilities have all been vastly improved now to better serve you. As pioneers of the Serviced Apartment concept in Chennai, we request you to visit us once again and enjoy a new standard of our starvantage hospitality.