“best place with friends..”

The Residency Towers
Ranked #24 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed December 12, 2008

The Residency Towers, is one of the finest hotel to be in. They have shown a great hopitality.
With a mix of south and north Indian dishes, its really a joy for food lovers. Its very near to the main market place of chennai also.
Ovarall it was a great experiance being there.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank india_traveller08

Reviewed November 20, 2008

Decent accomodations--nice furnishings with a little bit of wear. Had a few issues with the water but maintenance was responsive and fixed quickly. Overall a good business hotel for better price than other high end hotels.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2008

This was my first visit to India and I was here on business for two weeks. Overall, I was happy with the serivce and room.

My room on the 16th floor was a welcome relief from the chaos and traffic that is Chennai, though the hotel isn't really 20 stories. The first three floors offer restaurant, business, and exercise amenities and then you skip directly to the "11th-20th" floors. So, when other reviews recommend a room further away from the pub to avoid noise (and they're right), pick a room at least at the 14th floor. Still the walls are thin, and depending on who your neighbors are, you may be kept up with TV and loud conversations.

They offer WiFi and cable internet connection, for an extra fee, and I found this to be this biggest hassle during my stay. Though you are prompted to pick the duration of service and charge it to your room, this never worked for me. I had to call the front desk every time I wanted to renew my internet connection and someone would come up to my room and configure the connection. While the service was prompt, I've never needed hotel assistance for internet at any other US or European hotel. Also, you had to choose whether you wanted wireless or wired service for the time you purchased, and the wireless would lose signal occasionally leaving you with no connection at all.

The breakfast buffet was decent and offered a wide-selection of choices for any traveler, and I was glad to have my usual breakfast of toast and fruit when who knows what I would be eating for the rest of the day.

The Pondy Bazaar is just five minutes walk up the street from the hotel, with a myriad of shops and street vendors. Though the hotel isn't centrally located for tourism, you can find places to shop if that's what you're after.

While I wouldn't consider this a luxury hotel by US standards, it was certainly clean and comfortable, and the staff were attentive. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I booked a room for one night from England as our flight arrived around 10pm. As included in the price the hotel collected us from the airport - very helpful driver. 30-40 minutes (scary) drive from airport. Heard noise from the disco when we arrived at reception. Room on 18th Floor pretty good, big and comfortable bed and no noise from downstairs - could hear next door's TV the next morning but not too bad. Breakfast on 18th floor pretty basic. Checkout ok and car drove us back to the airport for onward flight the next morning. Driver handed us onto a Kingfisher Airlines person at Chennai Airport who took us through. Altogether a pretty good introduction to India.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2008

My partner and I have just returned from one of our many visits to India. We chose the Residency Towers mainly because it had good reviews on TripAdvisor and it operated a 24hr check in/out policy, which was handy, as our plane landed in Chennai at 3am!

First impressions of the hotel were that it was "impressive and swanky" looking and seemed to be patronised by business people. Though the reception staff had poor command of English or were just "shy" the check-in process was without hiccup and we were quickly shown to our room, which I had booked from the UK.

The room on the 1st floor was reasonably furnished and clean; however, there was an overwhelming smell normally associated with a carpet that has been damp, and this smell seemed to effuse from the AC as well. Come to mention it, this smell seemed to be prevalent in the "corridors" of this floor. Given the time that it was and my tiredness I resolved to deal with the matter the next day.

The next morning I reported the matter to reception and politely asked to be moved to another room. The receptionist advised that we be moved shortly; however, 30 mins later I hadn't anything and so phoned again and was told the same - a room would be found shortly.

To be fair, we were shown three other rooms - one on the 3rd floor, which was on the side of the main road and therefore likely to be noisey, and finally one, which had no carpet but laminate wood flooring and was kitted out in "stark modern" slightly dated furniture, which was ok.

The restaurant decor is a throw back from the 80s - Tex Mex, burger junction style. Breakfast, which was included in our tariff and is of buffet style, was acceptable; however, the fresh fruit on display had clearly seen better days. The staff were reasonably efficient and overall the standard of cleanliness was not offensive.

There is a reasonably sized outdoor pool and gym as well as a "pub". There is little to see or do within the immediate vicinity of the hotel other than the usual collection of shabby shops and restaurants. Overall I thought the hotel was rather pricey when compared to some other hotels that we later on stayed at in other cities. However, at the time it served as well for our purposes but it is certainly not a hotel to lounge it but neither is the city of Chennai!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 29, 2008

Arrived mid morning but we were immediately allocated a room. The room was an attempt at modern chic but did look a fairly cheap attempt at it. Still it was clean with the usual mod cons of a 3 - 4star business hotel in a big city. The bathroom was clean and functional. The hotel is located on a busy route into the city centre but we weren't disturbed by the traffic or other noise.
Breakfast was very good and the staff were very attentive.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2008

We chose this hotel because of the reviews on Tripadvisor, all of which were very favourable. First impressions were good but then after waiting in reception for half an hour we were shown to a room which, although perfectly pleasant, was not the type we had booked. As it was 10:30pm and we were only staying for 3 nights we decided to live with it and started to unpack our things. We then immediately became aware of extremely loud thumping music, which we assumed was from a passing car - when it did not go away after a few minutes we decided to investigate and found that it was from the Bike and Barrel pub on the 1st floor, which turns into a disco at weekends (we were directly above the pub, on 5th floor, and can only assume that the rooms on floors 2 - 4 were either empty or their guests were hard of hearing). The guy on reception initially told us the pub closed at 11pm, then when we rang again at 11:30 when it was even louder the manager said he would ask them to turn the music down. When that didn't happen he came to the room and agreed it was very loud but said that it was only like this on Fridays and Saturdays - but as we were only staying from Friday to Sunday that wasn't much consolation to us. He then went off to try to find us another room and we spent the next hour and a half trying to find him, after which my husband took up residence in the foyer and tried to conduct a conversion with the guy on reception, which was impossible because of the music (the pub opens onto the atrium directly above reception). At 1:30 we were finally given a room at the opposite end of the hotel - which was the contemporary type we had booked - and were provided with complimentary fruit and sweets. This room was excellent and we were relieved to find that it was blissfully quiet. However, when we returned the following night we realised that it had been so quiet only because the pub had closed at 1:30! The Tamil friends who drove us back on Saturday night couldn't believe the noise, they said it wasn't a hotel, it was a disco with rooms attached! Sunday night was very peaceful though. Apart from this, the hotel was very, very good, service was excellent (especially the duty manager who was extremely helpful and courteous) and the breakfast was impressive for it's choice and quality. I would definitely recommend it - but not for a quiet weekend!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple