“Exceptional service”

The Residency Towers
Ranked #24 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife & I stayed for a weekend from Friday afternoon through to Sunday afternoon.
Good location as only approx 40mins drive from airport. 20mins drive from shopping areas.
Check in was very smooth indeed. Hotel is very grand. Room was more than adequate & very clean.
We ate at Main Street on the Friday evening, enjoying the buffet with its choice of many varieties of Indian food. There were also 2 continental dishes available.
Saturday night we ate at The Crown Restaurant which is located superbly on top of the hotel. We sat outside & enjoyed the view over the city & the cool breeze.
Breakfast gave many choices from cereals to dosas.
For those that like a bit of a boogey you must venture into the Bike bar. Music was very good with plenty of people dancing. Very good atmosphere.
We spent a few hours relaxing on the Sunday alongside the pool. Water at first felt cold but after a few minutes it was wonderful & very needful after an hour or so trying to top up the tan.
All in all a very enjoyable stay. Hotel staff very friendly & very helpful.

Room Tip: Be aware that if in a road side room the horns from cars, buses etc... start from around 5.30am. If...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
TOWERSChennai, Manager at The Residency Towers, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Valued guest,

I am delighted to learn that you had a comfortable stay at “The Residency Towers” and I truly appreciate your taking the time and posting your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

the rooms are quiet and a unique way to completely shut the windows (never seen it at least in a hotel). the restaurants are nice especially the roof top view which gives a real nnice view of the eastern and southern parts of the city. the breakfast buffet has a wide range of foods to choose from. i had a full breakfast and enjoyed my stay of 2 days.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I generally like the decor in this hotel and the buffet dinner is of good quality and offers good value for money. I stay here it is close to the location of seminars I attend in Chennai and I don't like the hotel where the seminars take place.

I stayed in the executive rooms on the 17th floor and twice I had issues with a lack hot water, a luke warm shower may be ok for some people, but I like my showers hot. The second time it happened I was offered the use of a room on the 12th floor in order to take a shower...well, the water was hot and I had a good shower, but now that I've seen the cheaper rooms, which are expensive by Indian standards, and had I stayed on the 12th floor, my review would be totally negative.

What is it about Indian hotels that they cannot maintain things? The bathroom was not clean, the room itself looked worn out and tired. For some reason attention to detail escapes them...there really is no point in having a spectacular foyer if a room on the 12th floor has a stained shower door, adhesive glue that is grey hanging off it, mould growing in corners and generally bad quality grouting work...it just makes it look dirty, and guess what, it is dirty. My room on the 17th floor had none of those issues.

There are also language issues. I asked for an extension cable so that I could plug in my laptop, a person arrived with a USB cable. So I explained again what I needed...oh, by the way, why do hotels place the desk so far away from the electrical sockets?......anyway, India being India, I finally got my extension cable 1.5 hours later. The most annoying thing in this hotel is that on asking something the staff always says 'Just two minutes Sir' and they do so BEFORE I've completed my sentence, which means they've not actually heard my request AND the two minutes is NEVER two minutes, it's always at least half an hour.

In speaking with the duty manager actually said to him ' If you would stop talking for a moment, you might actually hear and understand what I am asking you'. I'm constantly amazed how simple instructions are ignored. I needed to go and get my haircut so I asked them to please leave the extension cable outside my door and even asked the person 'Can you do that' and their answer was affirmative. Lo and behold on returning no cable to be seen and when I called AGAIN I was told ' We brought it to your room but no-one was there'.....sigh....

I generally like this hotel, this is my second stay....Bell Desk staff really nice, decor nice, more expensive rooms pleasant....buffet food good...service......at times, frustatingly annoying...

Really th only way to get very good service in India is either go to a Taj Hotel (The one in Bombay is world class, I'd happily live there) or to one of the international chains (Hilton, Novotel etc) where the staff have been trained by westerners...sorry to say it, but it is the truth of the matter. They don't listen, even as a foreigner I enunciate my words carefully and speak slowly and clearly...because they invariably interrupt before I'm finished, they simply don't listen and get it wrong...annoying.

If the service was up to scratch, I'd give this hotel a GOOD rating, but as it stands, AVERAGE for now.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Shavasti
TOWERSChennai, Manager at The Residency Towers, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I thank you for the detailed review of "The Residency Towers" Hotel and for highlighting your concern.

Sir, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced. I have personally discussed each issue with the concerned area manager and we are taking immediate corrective measures.

I am confident that your valuable feedback will help us further improve our services.

With Warm Regards

The Hotel Manager.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I came to Chennai for for a business trip in July. Was looking for spa to relive my stress , logged in to snap deal got a discount of 50 % for swedish massage at alter image . I have visited many spa over the years but this had to be .mu best experience so far . The staff was polite courteous and friendly. Good manners and eticate . I wwould also like to mention this was the highlight for my stay in Chennai . As I came out rejuvanatrd and relaxed . After the the massage I event to southern aroma for lunch tried a Thai which was amazing
Overall this was my best experience in Chennai.

• Stayed: July 2012
TOWERSChennai, Manager at The Residency Towers, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Placed exactly where the Chennai heart thumps, this place is a fantastic option for any traveller to this old yet packed and crowded lovely city. Expect fantastic service and superb food. Step out to the most popular T Nagar, Pondy Bazaar for all your shopping and don't get lost in that crowd.

Room Tip: Don't miss the breakfast for anything while here.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
TOWERSChennai, Manager at The Residency Towers, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Located at T nagar, the residency towers is a good choice for those whose requirements needs them to stay at the heart of the city. Expect upto 40 minutes drive from the airport. US Counsalate is less than 10 minutes away. The check in process initially had a few glitches, when I walk into the room, I find it to be occupied. When informed, was duly apologized and an alternate option was given. Room was compact in size. The beds were comfortable for a good night of sleep. Rooms were well lit and had good noise insulation. They have a nice pub too which is biker themed. The breakfast was excellent with wide spread of international and indian cuisine. Overall the stay was pleasant. Value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
TOWERSChennai, Manager at The Residency Towers, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear Valued Guest

I thank you for your positive feedback on our services and appreciate you taking the time and posting your observations on "Trip Advisor".

I have briefed the Front desk Manager on the inconveniences experienced and we are taking corrective measures. Please do accept my apologies for the lapses.

I thank you for your patronage and look forward to your return.

With Warm Regards

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Set in amidst the hustle and bustle of Chennai this lively hotel is perfect for business travellers and families going on vacation for a few days. Anywhere I needed to be was ten minutes away from the hotel which made it very easy for me. The standard rooms are good but I would recommend the Deluxe rooms if you're traveling with family. Breakfast served here is very appealing in comparison to other business hotels in Chennai.

Do's:
visit the mini mall a joining the hotel. a decent place to buy a quick gift for a loved one in the last minute.

walk down the street from the hotel to a small restaurant called the Gango Tree to try the Badam Keer (armond Milk), and poories... best in town.

Don't:
avoid taking tuk tuks near the hotel as they will charge you premium prices. walk a bit down the road and stop a running tuk tuk.

Room Tip: there are two residency hotels in Chennai; the Residency Hotel, & the Residency Towers. Make sur...