“Okay for a Quick Stay”
Review of Hotel Mars

Hotel Mars
Ranked #332 of 436 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I travel thru Chennai often, was looking for a place near the airport with a free shuttle. Had read the reviews about Hotel Mars on Trip Advisor and almost cancelled my reservation.

Glad I kept the booking. The rooms were newly renovated, neat, clean with very modern bathroom fixtures. The airport shuttle was timely and staff was attentive and helpful.

My only complaint was the restaurant. Our group had a good laugh at the parade of mice and the food quality was extremely poor. They were out of almost everything we asked for on the menu and the wait staff was rude. Would never eat there again.

The Wi-fi is only available in the lobby and the connection was really good.

I would stay there again, but will definitely seek out another place to have our meals. If you are just looking for a place to crash it is definitely acceptable.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that have been newly renovated.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 27, 2011

This was a terrible place... People are being cheated by this hotel management.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelrSideOfMe
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Never met people that unfriendly as the Mars staff.
If it was not for the distance to the airport, I could not think of one reason why you would stay in this hotel.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I was looking for place close to Chennai airport since I had to catch an early morning flight, and booked this hotel on the internet.This decision would easily make it to the '3 worst decision of my life' award.

Reception and Room:
There were 3-4 guys loitering around the reception area. They directed us to our room and as the bell boy opened the room, the smell hit us. Imagine a room that has been locked for ages with used towels, stained bed sheets, dirty curtains, old floor tiles , stale cigarettes and dirty washroom - Yes! U got that! it was horrible.
We requested them for a change of bed sheets and towels, and the replacements that we got were dirtier, stained and smelly. The thought of spending the night in this hell was repulsive.

Food and Water:
We were dying of hunger and had to order some food. We knew what to expect after looking at the rooms, but still took the risk since we were hungry. The food that arrived after hours was stale, smelly and looked like crap.We had to refuse it and survive on biscuits. We had ordered bottled water and the bottles we got came with tampered seals..

I can write book on my experience that night, but this place does not deserve it.

My family still curses and teases me for booking that hotel.

Stay Away guys.. It's not a question of money.. Sleep on the streets or your car but please avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay Away guys....
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Hit_Or_Miss
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I spent one night at the Hotel Mars on 16 September 2011. I was connecting to Kolkata but flight timings caused me to stay in Chennai for one night. Airport pick-up was timelyand the driver was corteous, As far as the hotel itself I must say that I have definitely stayed in worse places. Check-in was quick and painless as there was a staff of 3 working the front desk. It appeared to me that the majority of the guests were businessmen. Wireless was only available in the lobby but was not working the night that I was staying. I reported this problem to the front desk and they assured me it would be fixed by morning, and it was.
The room as adequate, there was working a/c, hot and cold running water and I did not see any vermin of any kind in the room, otherwise I would have asked to be moved.
All in all the hotel was fine for a one night stay. There was a S. Indian breakfast available in the morning and when I was ready to return to the airport I was taken away in a timely manner.
I have read other reviews of this hotel and I well know that each individual staying at hotels will have different issues or problems. All I can say is that the hotel was fine for one night and very close to the airport. That was enough for me.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Can sum it up in one word - CRAP.

Had no option since needed a place to crash for 4 hours before catching my flight to Delhi. The auto-rickshaw (who I am sure had a major incentive from this hotel) took me there. The lobby "looked" okay and since I just wanted to crash on the bed, thought that I'll take the room that was available without having a look at it first. That was a mistake I am not going to forgive myself for making for the rest of my life.

When I asked the bell hop for a towel, he responded saying that the towels are handed out in the morning before people take a shower. I then told him that I have to wake up at 4 am to catch my flight and he reluctantly handed me a towel. Oh boy, the towel was dirtier and more stained than any of my household dirt wipe cloth.

The bed sheet was stained. The A/C vents were broken. Only 1 light worked in the room.

In summary, this was the hotel from hell. I have stayed in some real horrible places before, but this one beats any of my past experiences hands down.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Sleep on the street if you absolutely have to and you'll be a happier person.

Room Tip: Here is my tip. Avoid the hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Skidrust
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel on 6th October 2011 night. Overall experience was horrible. We have booked the hotel for two nights but need to go out just after a horrible night stay. Staff here are all drunked( a bit unsafe for female); as i was with my wife and son i felt terribelly bad. After taking by baggage from car the staffs wants money, (Room number 212 ground floor) room looks like a toilet with white squre tile on, it smells horrible, toilet every items including the basin is broken. There is a big opening at toilet even human can come in through that. We couldn't lock the toilet door. A generator just outside the window making noise whole night. Bed is covered by darty cloth. Above all "Bed Bugs" sucked our blood whole night. I request all of you to avoid this hotel at any cost. Next morning we have chaked out and stayed in other hotel on poonamali road.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family