“good place”

The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's
Ranked #4 of 388 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Vercelli, Italy
“good place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

I've been there for 1 week, the hotel is really well organised, clean, an the people are very kind.
the room are big and work really well. I've been also in the 2 restaurants an the food is really good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
AmjadHussainS, Director Learning and Development at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, July 22, 2014

Vanakkam !!!

Thank you for sharing your stay feedback, we are delighted to know that you were happy with our new rooms and the food in our restaurants.

Your feedback about our team will be shared with them and It will be a great motivation for them.

We look forward to welcome you again at The Raintree, St.Mary’s Road.

Amjad Hussain

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Geneva
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Very nice hotel, excellent room comfort. Great bed, adequate tv, nice bathroom. For me the best part was the rooftop, with an open air restaurant with views over the city, great food, and a small but functional pool. They had a projector showing the world cup while was there which added to the atmosphere. I ate there four nights in a row. Not very adventurous? No, certainly not but I had long days and this was perfect for me at the end of the day.

The lobby was under construction while I was there, moved to a temporary position on the 2nd floor. No bother. It worked. There was some mild construction noise you could hear during the day.

I'd go back.

Room Tip: I had corner room which was great. The restaurant food on the rooftop was very, very good.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom G
AmjadHussainS, Director Learning and Development at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, July 14, 2014

Vanakkam !!!

We are delighted to know, that you enjoyed your stay with The Raintree, St.Mary’s Road, Chennai.
It gives immense pleasure to read, that you liked our new rooms and the décor.

Our culinary team in the hotel is delighted to know that you liked the food in Above Sea Level our roof top restaurant.

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you soon

Woodbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was our second stay at the Raintree Chennai. The accommodation was spotless and very comfortable. The staff helpful and polite. The rooms are spacious and much better than other 4* Hotels we have stayed in. We found the Chap Chay restaurant good value with lots of choice and with a limitless Buffet. The ala carte provide a choice of Indian and European dishes prepared to a high standard.

We very much enjoy the dining experience on the rooftop looking over the City.

Room Tip: Good supply of non smoking rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
AmjadHussainS, Director Learning and Development at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Angela

We are extremely pleased that you are impressed with our new renovated look.
I will share your feedback with my team and I am sure they will be excited to know that you had a wonderful dining experience at Chap Chay and Above Sea Level – Roof top restaurant.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at our hotel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Excellent service...awesome food..yummy salad preparation.. Overall ambience was damm excellent.. Love the food quality...best restaurant to visit at chennaiii..always suggested for sunday lunch with ur all your friendz..chap chay rockzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..

Chennai

Best services....amazing food.
I got to know from my friend, and after visinting i really felt true worth for money paid.
In chennai it is difficult to find any good food restuarant, but i must say with Chap chay we can say chennai is blessed.
Everybody must visit it, it must to visit if anyone is in chennai....
And staff really have good presence of mind, they easily suggest listening to guest choice and request...
I would definately visit it again soon....

Liverpool
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Reservation and phone support to confirm early checkin couldn't have been better. Arrived expecting a star treatment. greeted by a young man who was polite and facilitated check in without a fuss. Had to wait for a few minutes while the room was getting ready. I did not see that as a problem even though I had clearly negotiated to check in a full hour and half earlier than I actually did that day in end of June 2014. Odd hotel but understandable given the location and the land area in which the hotel was built. What struck me was how spotlessly clean it was. The room was modern with excellent quality mattress and every bit of creature comfort including complimentary breakfast as well as complimentary wifi. Checked the bathroom and it stunk to high heavens with a mixture of acrid ammonia and decay. Reported to the front desk. Promptly a team of apologetic housekeeping team and literally eradicated the stink and the room was now fragrant.

Ordered a continental breakfast with croissant and muffin. I was given two thumb (my thumb) size croissant and two cup cakes (yes!) Coffee was sensational so I forgave the croissant and cupcake/muffin 'error'. Informed the front desk of an impending arrival from a male relative who was promptly guided to my room by an escort. The relative left. Ordered a sinfully delicious roomali roti with lamb sukka curry (gravy). finished it - oh yeah! This is when things began to go wrong. My sister informed me that she will be coming in fifteen minutes. So, as I did before, called the front desk. this is how the conversation went "Hi I am calling from room 120... a favour... expecting a visitor... could you guide her to my room please... "

"erm...sorry sir we do not allow single female visitors to go to the room... hotel policy..."

"but... this is my sister..."

"sorry sir... hotel policy... can take her to the restaurant sir... and your room is single occupancy..."

I checked out in the next half hour and went to my shrine, another 5 star hotel on TTK road - not very far away. checked in. caught up with my little sister for a good three hours... had tea and went to visit other relatives together. she dropped me back. I had my mug of draught in my favourite restaurant.

Such a waste. I had nearly decided this was a four star place at least. I am sure there will be some rationalisation and explanation. Not sure what Raintree's experience has been but I have, like most others, boundaries when it comes to siblings. In one fell swoop that one man in the front desk undid all the hard work and quality of the other staff I met those few hours. There was not even an acknowledgement that this was an insensitive way of handling situation. They (front desk hero and the manager were extra polite when giving me the final bill.

I have to say this is just my experience marred by one silly man (I think). Readers can take the positives and try this one out but for me - NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest

We have taken a note of the concern raised and we will work on it. I wish to highlight certain policies laid by the hotel are in the best interest of guest’s safety and security.

I thank you for mentioning the impactful culinary and service you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you at The Raintree, St.Marys Road, Chennai.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Raintree st marys road is a excellent example of Great Hospitality. The food at their Chap Chay is something which you cant get anywhere inChennai its simply unbeatable. Staff is very courteous and always go extra mile.special mention to Chef Namhkha and Mr Priyan who made our day with lovely food and excellent service....thank to all at the Rain tree st marys road

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your dining experience at Chap Chay on TripAdvisor. We as team are extremely delighted to know that we met your expectation during your recent visit to Chap Chay.
Our Culinary team and Guest service team are very excited and motivated on this valuable review.

Your special mention about Chef Namkha and Mr.Priyan was communicated and they both were also very happy to hear that.
We look forward to welcoming you again as we get another opportunity to showcase Chap Chay to you.