“Excellent hotel....”

The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's
Ranked #5 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Salem, India
“Excellent hotel....”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Have stayed in this hotel for two nights, the check in was very quick and room service was g8....nice location. The rooms were clean, spacious and hygienic. The buffet breakfast was really good and they a load of varieties. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
RajeshGM, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear guest,
Vanakkam !!
We are thankful that a Trip Advisor Senior Contributor has put a genuine feedback about The Raintree, St. Mary’s We are immensely pleased to learn that you had a fantastic stay in Chennai and its heartening to know that you loved the breakfast at The Rainbow restaurant.
RG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed June 15, 2013

It was really a pleasure stay as i have been to chennai earlier but this time it was different as i don't have my hotel booking done as it was an unplanned trip. I searched for hotels online after landing in Chennai airport and i thought this hotel would be near to the clients place i have to visit and i called them and i felt the warmth in the greeting and i booked my stay and still skeptical whether i made a right choice or not.. but i'm really glad that the stay was perfect and the food was excellent, and staff were really very helpful. I really had a pleasant stay and i felt that its worth the money i spent and i would surely would prefer to stay again .. It really gave me a safe feeling..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RajeshGM, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear reviewer,
Vanakkam !!
Thank you for spending your precious time to provide your valuable feedback on your choice of staying at The Raintree, St. Mary’s Road. We are pleased to learn that you had a fantastic stay in Chennai. We are grateful to be bestowed with your accolades on our hotel's ideal location and facilities. It shall be my honour and pleasure to convey to my team your appreciation of their efforts.
We would love to see you back at the The Raintree, St. Mary’s Road soon....
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I spent almost 3 months in the Raintree St Mary's during a business trip in Chennai.
It's conveniently located, in Alwarpet which is an upscale neighbourhood in the city and very near the center.

First of all the staff was always friendly, professional and not pushy at all (what you sometimes experience in other hotels).
The room I had was very clean and had enough space. I had a problem with the water once, but after informing the reception they directly sent someone over to fix it in 5 minutes.
I dined in all the restaurants and they are all good, I especially liked Chap Chay but spent most time in Rainbow (which is also nice) and Above the Sea Level (very nice view of Chennai).
Used the rooftop pool in the weekends, usually not busy at all and a great place to relax.

Friendly staff, clean rooms, good food. No complaints whatsoever about this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Michiel B
RajeshGM, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Vanakkam !!
Thank you for taking time to provide your valuable feedback on your experience at The Raintree, St. Mary’s Road. We are immensely pleased to learn that you had a fantastic long stay and also enjoyed our serene location in the heart of Chennai. We appreciate that you mentioned on our fantastic staff who are the true Champions of our hotel.Our concept on the Food and Beverage has been to keep it fresh, simple and innovative. You are quite right in mentioning about the fabulous restaurants that we have, especially Chap Chay it is unique with its decor and great Asian food.We are also delighted that you appreciate the food at our roof top restaurant the "above sea level". We would love to see you back at the The Raintree, St. Mary’s Road.
New Delhi
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I booked the hotel through Cleartrip as i always rely upon this site for all my travel and stay booking.

While booking, the inclusions in the price were listed as Dinner, Fruit Basket, Cookies etc. One of the reasons for choosing this hotel was the inclusion of dinner as i usually return back late after work and am not left with much energy to go out for dinner etc.

The cleartrip voucher clearly listed all these inclusions, however, upon reaching the hotel, at check-in, i was told that these inclusions do not hold good anymore as the hotel had informed Cleartrip that morning that they are withdrawing the inclusions. I insisted that if they have withdrawn the inclusions on that particular day, they should still honor these inclusions as the booking was made some 3 days back, but the hotel staff bluntly refused.

After making a call to cleartrip, the hotel staff included only the dinner in the package.

Other things -

The food was not upto the standard of a four or five star hotel. The chicken dish was clearly under cooked. I brought this to the Chef's notice but he didn't seem to agree with me even after showing him a rubbery under-cooked piece.

I ordered for a Chapati that never came!!

In the room, none of the plug points worked... it was a nightmare to charge the laptop or mobile. After several calls, an electrician came and temporarily fixed one of the sockets and when i plugged my macbook's adapter into the socket, it blew away and my Apple adapter knocked off!

I was glad that the stay there came to an end the next morning after a hapless one nigh!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip

1 Thank Kamaldeep2310
RajeshGM, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Vanakkam!!

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay at The Raintree, St. Mary's Road and sharing our concerns on the stay. Please do accept our sincere apologies for not having met your expectations and the inconvenience caused. The feedback has been shared with the team members and it is to assure you that we will take all necessary measures to improvise on the areas of concern as highlighted by you. I really thank you for bringing this to our notice and welcome your feedback in this regards as your feedback helps us in enhancing our service levels and exceeding the guests expectations. I would sincerely urge you not to judge us solely based on this stay and definitely look forward to welcoming you back at The Raintree, St. Mary's Road.
please do write to me at gm.stmarys@raintreehotels.com for any support that you may need.
Rajesh
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My third visit and I was not let down. There are a few new faces, but they are all very nice and make you feel welcome. The room was clean and well maintained. The food is still very good and prices reasonable. A bit disappointed when I discovered my normal driver was no more there, but they gave me another driver Selvan(not sure of the spelling), he was fantastic, very helpful and can be trusted. He will go in with me and advise me based on what the sellers were saying in India. It gave me a safe feeling.
I only have positives for this hotel and I will always return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RonkiJ
RajeshGM, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest ,
Vanakkam ! !
Thank you for choosing The RAINTREE, St. Mary's Road for your third stay and spending your precious time in sharing your feedback on Trip Adivsor. It is so encouraging to receive such compliments from you. We are thrilled that you appreciate the efforts of Mr.Selvam we would surely commend him for the good work and this will inspire more such brilliance from the team. Looking forward to welcoming you soon at The Raintree, St. Mary's Road, Chennai.
Best Regards
Chennai
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Lived in Chennai for three years and frequently visited the restaurants of this hotel, almost twice a week.

The culture of customer service we had seen there was unparalleled in Chennai. Food was always excellent. Ambience was great. We always felt so warmly welcomed by all. Roof top restaurant has the best ambience. We must thank Sudhagar, Karl, Jina, Kartik, Ching and all others who always took care of us so well.

We did notice, they took care of all other guests the sameway! !!
The management deserves a praise for creating this great culture and work ethic in the organisation.

Last few days we stayed in the hotel. The experience was equally great!!!

Next time we visit Chennai, we know where to go!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RahulChennai_12
Dear guest,
Vanakkam !!
Thank you for spending your precious time to provide your valuable feedback on your experience at The Raintree, St. Mary’s Road. We are immensely pleased to learn that you had a fantastic stay in Chennai and its heartening to know that you love dining at the "above sea Level" restaurant. We are delighted that you appreciate the food and service at our roof top restaurant the "above sea level" and that you mentioned about our staff whose remarkable efforts helps us to maintain the hotels high standards
RG
arlington, virginia
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It was my second stay at the Raintree hotel, St. Mary's and once again I was so pleased with it!
At the reception's desk, the staff is very nice and really make you feel welcome. The room was clean, the bed very comfortable even for my poor back. I enjoyed the pool of the roof with the view of Chennai. I also like this hotel because it is not too big, well located on a quiet shaded street. I also appreciate the fact that the Raintree is a quiet hotel: not loud music in public place. It is an exquisite hotel where I like to go back where I come to Chennai.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank frr
RajeshGM, General Manager at The Raintree Hotel, St.Mary's, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear reviewer,
Vanakkam !!
Thank you for spending your precious time to provide your valuable feedback on your experience at The Raintree, St. Mary’s Road. We are immensely pleased to learn that you had a fantastic stay in Chennai. We are thrilled to be bestowed with your accolades on our hotel's serene location and boutique facilities. It shall be my honour and pleasure to convey to my team your appreciation of their efforts especially our reception team.
We would love to see you back at the The Raintree, St. Mary’s Road soon....