“cockroaches and bedbugs spoilt the stay”

Comfort Inn Marina Towers
Ranked #187 of 415 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Hotel staff ok and room service food wonderful. Lovely view from my room, overlooking the river and traffic. Tthe room was quiet and spacious with a big tv-screen. Otherwise everything would have been fine, if not for the cockroaches of all sizes; on my 5th night the cockroaches could be seen in the room as well not only the bathroom. In the morning I counted on each foot at least 10 bed bugs bites (very itchy ones)....

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo

Reviewed February 7, 2009

Great business class hotel. Nearness to egmore station & shopping places makes it worth place to stay

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I booked this hotel through Expedia for $83 all inclusive. It is a lovely hotel, with new and modern furnishings. We will stay here during all future trips to Chennai, if we can get the room at this rate. Free breakfast was another plus. Though the quality is excellent, we felt that the dinner buffet was a little expensive. Though we checked in at 10.00 am and stayed for more than 24 hours till 11.00 pm the next day, they charged us only for a day. During night time, the airport is only 30-40 minutes away. We have stayed in a few other hotels in Chennai, but for the money we paid, we don't think we can get any better. Most tourist spots are a short rickshaw ride away.

The rooms have safety lockers, the use of which is highly recommended. This hotel is not particularly unsafe, but a general precaution worth taking in all Indian hotels. Keep in mind that your daily room rent is about the monthly salary of many workers here.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank musicandarts
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We are a well travelled couple and very rarely have a problem with any hotels we stay in. However, our experience of this hotel was truly awful. We were booked to stay at this hotel for 7 nights, and upon arrival at 9pm after a long journey we went to check in and were told to take a seat in the reception area. We then proceeded to sit there for 30 minutes (it seems they forgot about us!) before I went and asked what the problem was. We then waited a further 15 minutes while they located a room key for us that they had lost! Not once was an apology offered by any staff for the long delay, and if anything they seemed to find the whole situation quite amusing.

We eventually got a key and were taken to our room. We put to the back of our minds the poor dealing of our check-in, and looked forward to the rest of our stay.

However, the occurences of the following week have left me astounded. To name but a few:-

1) Rooms cleaned irregularly
2) Clean towels issued irregularly
3) The most incompetant reception desk staff I have ever had the displeasure to deal with. Add to this their look of amusement when they get things wrong and cause you a problem. They truly didnt care and found it funny
4) The most smarmy and arrogant hotel duty manager I have ever come accross. He really didnt care if you had a complaint and just laughed it off.
5) Personal posessions being stolen from our room. When we advised the duty manager, he wasnt interested and insisted none of his staff had taken anything from our room.
6) Personal posessions being taken from 3 of our friends rooms. The duty manager again insisted none of his staff had taken anything from their rooms.
7) Our friend paying his room bill the evening before check out the next morning, only to be told the next morning that he had a bill outstanding and was not allowed to leave until it was paid. They even called security and took his bag away from him! Even when he produced the receipt as proof of payment, he still had to argue with the front desk staff and duty manager until they eventually agreed it was their mistake and it had in fact been paid. No apology offered whatsoever for causing a big scene in the reception area as a result of this.

All the above made for a truly astounding stay, and there were even more farcical events I havent mentioned above. The one and only positive to this hotel was the polite and courteous doorman and the friendly bar staff. The duty manager and reception staff could learn a lot from them!!

In summary, I have never faced such incompetence and downright rudeness in a hotel in my 10 years of travelling. I would not recommend even my worst enemy to stay here, unless there is a total overhall of management and reception staff. For the amount of money you pay to stay here, it is nothing short of a disgrace. My advice is to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deano19766
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I URGE YOU, I BEG YOU NOT TO STOP AT THIS HOTEL!
We all check websites to see if a hotel is okay or not.
I have travelled the world for 20 years and i have never stopped in a hotel where theft is ignored, one feels guilty about asking for service, rooms are not cleaned then when a complaint is made, one is asked to leave!!!
I URGE YOU, I BEG YOU TO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS HOTEL ON YOUR TRAVELS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed December 27, 2008

Where to start. 40 mins to check in, borrowed a wheelchair and it broke twice. Nothing (internet cards etc) was ever sent to your room as promised. After 7 nights there I knew how disorganised they are so I paid early, so as not to have problems the following morning, only to find myself being presented with another bill!
Oh, and my England replica test cricket shirt was stolen from my laundery. Manager not interested of course. We had friends staying on a different floor who experienced similar problems.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wickets69
Reviewed December 16, 2008

I am a very reasonable person who has never had a problem with a hotel - however, the Marina Towers in Chennai level of service is shocking.

Three of us stayed on the same floor had items of personal value STOLEN from ours rooms. The response from the duty manager was to smile and refuse to take our claims, simply laughing off the issue.

We were all on the same floor - DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING that has value, either $$$ or sentimenatal. It will disappear and nothing will happen.

Apart from the general level of filth (we have not had any roooms cleaned today, no fresh towels - or dirty towels! for the last 5 days)

A friend was told no room left - only to later go on Expedia and re-book back in - they obviosuly do not care about our business

My message would be go anywhere else in Chennai other than here and the arrogant, smarmy Duty Manager.

Stayed: December 2008