“Comfortable hotel, with a word of warning about staff integrity” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clarion Chennai

Clarion Chennai
Ranked #43 of 386 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Stockholm, Sweden
“Comfortable hotel, with a word of warning about staff integrity”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I stayed here for one night and it is a comfortable, overall well designed hotel. The food is good too.

A couple members of the staff gave a very good impression. However, I experienced a general lack of integrity among the rest. My feeling when staying at this hotel was that I had to "watch over my personal belongings" when around the staff. Three separate incidences confirmed this:

1. I happened to have my in room safe open when the housekeeping staff was in my room. I noticed that when I turned away, the staff member was looking intensely at the safe as if he would grab something from it if I where not there - in a way that I have never experience in a hotel before.

2. When making a payment with a credit card in the restaurant, the waiter was making an effort to see the pin code when I was entering it into the card machine.

3. When checking out I instantly had a negative gut feeling about the receptionist. When paying my room bill with a credit card, she looked at me and asked if it would be ok to "bypass the pin code", when the card machine asked for it. I find it very inappropriate to suggest such a thing - the pin code exists as a safety measure to protect the credit card, an establishment with integrity would not suggest bypassing the code. Also, I requested to have a document printed and was told that there would not be a charge. She later told me that it would cost 20 rupees and I gave it to her with the impression that something was not quite right about it. Once the document was printed she asked for another 40 rupees, which I again payed. I think it is fine if a hotel charges for such a service, but I did not receive an invoice of any kind for the payment. My impression was that the receptionist was telling me that there was a charge, but that she was putting the money in her own pocket.

I would not recommend this hotel to other people and I would not stay again, based on the fact that I don't trust the staff. If it where not for these staff issues, the comfort level and value for money of this hotel would earn it a lot of praise from me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JNiclas
ClarionChennai, Front Office Manager at Clarion Chennai, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Mr. Niclas,

We thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we have shared it with the entire Clarion team.
We are committed for our best services which generally pretty much reflects in our guests comments on Trip Advisor.

As you have shared your personal feelings and what you observed during your stay we will take it as positive & appreciate your concern, however we have been getting numerous occasions for our staff appreciations & recommendations for their professional & dedicated services.

We apologies for your discomfort during the stay and would be pleased to welcome you back at your Clarion hotel to change your perspective about our staff. As we always understand the guest needs & delivers in best way.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

To start off the reception was quite frosty. Maybe the hotel reception staff isn't really used to a father & son duo walking up to ask to stay in a room booked in advance. I had requested for rooms on the higher floors as well as a sea facing room as it was advertised but was told that it was not possible. The refusal was outright without even bothering to check whether there were other rooms available or even if there were some available at different rates. Though we were travelling with light luggage, no one even bothered to ask if we'd like to have our luggage taken to the room by a bell boy. This sort of attitude is definitely unpardonable in the hospitality industry. The room given was clean and well furnished. The room service was prompt and excellent. The amenities in the room were excellent and well suited for a business traveler. The breakfast spread at the buffet was quite good but caters mostly to an Indian palate. There isn't much for a foreign guest. All the other staff were extremely courteous and helpful at all times. The quality of food was good but the rates were somewhat exorbitant; imagine paying 100 bucks for a single roti or naan. The choice of dishes given in the in room dining menu was very limited. The location of the hotel is good given its proximity to the Marina Beach and a mall practically next door. A good hotel being let down by some poor staff.

Room Tip: The club rooms have a king size single bed only and no option for two single beds. The interconnecti...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank vmraghunath
ClarionChennai, Front Office Manager at Clarion Chennai, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Mr. Raghunath,

Vanakkam & Greetings from Clarion Chennai.

At the first outset kindly accept our deepest & sincere apologies for delay in responding to your feedback. Thank you very much for making us aware about your discomfort at the very first start.

At Clarion Hotel, we strive to ensure Guest Delight but unfortunately during this visit as per review received, we did not meet your expectations in providing our best services to you. We have taken remedial action to ensure that such inconveniences shall never reoccur.

We deeply regret if any action by our Staff has given a wrong impression about their being unprofessional & we have already initiated the process of rectification. We will emphasis this once again during our in house training session with the entire team.

The concern management has taken very strong note on the areas of concern that you have raised and we would like to thank you for expressing your concern and giving us an opportunity to rectify and improve on our offerings.

It is requested that you may again give us an opportunity to be of service to you & also experience the sea of changes that we have undergone. We value our guest relationship in very high esteem and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our guests deserve the very best.

Once again we tender sincere apologies for the lapses in our service level which you encountered during your visit.

+91-8939838102
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. It was a very difficult season –with the temperatures rising to 33 degrees, the humidity only made it worse. Mine was a research job so I had to stay outdoors during the days; however the comfort of this hotel made the experience bearable.
Location. Its located close to Marina beach and Chennai city centre.
Room: Were very comfortable- It had a poolside view. It had a study table, cloth ironing provision, Son Bravia TV, centralised control unit. Bathroom had a modern touch. However – there was a stench in that area, I assumed it to be from the borewell water, anyways the staff provided with a room freshener which provided some relief.
BF: It had a very good variety and the eating area was well maintained
In room dining: Limited option however the food was very tasty, also the hotel allows outside food
Staff: Very gentle, courteous and quick in help/reponse
Pool side area: This gave and advantage to this hotel. Many hotels have pool, but this one was very well maintained and there is sufficient resting area near the pool which could be used for evening stroll.
Overall the experience was very good. It’s a perfect hotel to stay in a city like Chennai.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir,

We thank you for your wonderful feedback, we are happy to listen about our services were to your expectations, we always drive ourselves to reach to every guests needs and fulfil with our efforts.

Will ensure to continue this with our best esteem and will look forward for your next visit.

+91 8939838102
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

I had an awesome experience staying at Clarion hotel. Amenties were provided in full and staff were cooperating as especially .rooms were always kept clean..i stayed in hotel for 4 days.so it was pretty much home feeling as food served in restuarent was awesome. It is located at the center and you have easy access to transportations, Mohan from receptions are very nice and cooperative.i would recommend people to visit this hotel.2 points of contact i have mentioned and than just feel the happiness and fun and stay away from problems...

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ClarionChennai, Front Office Manager at Clarion Chennai, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Ms. Dhanalakshmi,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback on Trip Advisor. It was been pleasure serving you. Your appreciation will definitely give a boost to our employee Mohan and could make out when your feedback been shared with the entire team.

We look forward to serve you again & again as our motive is to be the first choice for all the travellers and work for the same.

Clarion Chennai
Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

A nice property to stay with.. I would not recommend a stay here on the rack rates but you get a deal as I did from a travel website, this might be a good choice..

Food is good, and I was happy when I was served the breakfast despite arriving late of the the breafast timings at the 25th hour..

Bar was totally out of stock for almost 9 of 10 drinks I enquired for. Better ask for the available options rather than getting disappointed upon ordering from the menu.. 50 % discount for staying guest helped me keep calm though..

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Abhi,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback from your recent stay with us.

We are pleased to know that you liked our hotel & helpful staff who are indeed our strength and our breakfast spread @ The Twenty Fifth Hour restaurant. Appreciate you consider us a value for money hotel. It is very motivating to know that our efforts are well appreciated by you.

However we have observed with regret that you were not satisfied with the Bar due to limited choice in liquor & availability. Although I have already communicated your feedback to the Hotel Management to improvise on our service standards.

We always work towards good and keep only one goal to be the first choice for all the travellers, consider us going on the right track.

We are happy to read that your recent stay with us was comfortable and that you felt well-looked after by our capable team.

We thank you for your confidence in us since long and assure you to keep in the same manner.
You may write to me directly on fom@clarionchennai.com

Many thanks again for taking the time to write the wonderful reviews.

91-8939838102
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

I stayed for 6 nights on bizniz trip. The room was average clean (dirty floor on the corners, big humidity spot on roof and bathroom smelled bad -maybe some piping issue). Bed clothes were very clean but towels even tough clean had dirt spots/stain. Breakfast and lunch with few western meal options but good anyway. Personnel and management were outstanding and very helpful at all times. Location is excellent and downtown. 100 meters from city mall. Hotel has a mini tiny gym and a nice and clean swimming pool.
Wifi works very well.
Mail the hotel since they always give you better rates than those published.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Oskap
ClarionChennai, Front Office Manager at Clarion Chennai, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Mr. Oskap,

We thank you for sparing the time & rating us on Trip Advisor. It was completely our pleasure to serve you.
We express gratitude for your appreciation to the Management & Staff. Also we are delighted to here for being best preferred & comfortable location near to the City Centre.

However the concern points related to cleanliness is been noted and team is been alerted for the same. As our motive is to touch each & every corner to make the guest comfortable as per their expectations.

We are looking forward for your sooner visit and also expect for you to experience the sea of changes.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

I had a very good experience in the Clarion Chennai for the last 2-3 days. I had not heard of this place before, but when I was searching for hotels in Chennai, I got a good deal for a Luxury room on a travel website. I checked reviews on Trip Advisor and booked the room immediately. The hotel is in a great location and very near to the Marina Beach.

As I entered the hotel, I was greeted by a very courteous valet, who helped me unload the luggage from my car. The check-in was smooth, but we had to wait a while for the 2nd room to get ready (I had booked 2 rooms). The hotel had allotted a room with 2 single beds while we wanted one big bed. We had our lunch at the 'Twenty Fifth Hour' restaurant meanwhile. I had booked 2 Luxury rooms and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. The staff were very courteous and were helpful. Top marks to them. The buffet spread too was very good for all the three meals of the day. We had both Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian food (both in buffet and ala carte) and the food was very good. I could not try the other restaurant, 'her name is ming', which had very good reviews.

There were a few minor grouses too.
1. A bottle of 1 ltr mineral water costs Rs.125 Rs. This is for a bottle which costs Rs. 20. That is quite expensive.
2. I would have preferred some shade for the car parking. No shade at all unless you park close to the compound wall.
3. I am not sure if this is the case in the other rooms, but the bathroom wall and door of our rooms was of translucent glass. This may not go well with guests who may not be couples.

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay and I would definitely recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Addy,

Warm greetings from Clarion Chennai.

We thank you immensely for your recent stay with us at Clarion Chennai and giving us the opportunity to serve you.

We are delighted to go through your excellent feedback, which is very inspiring. As per your feedback room, food, quality of services, our staff were all up to the standard you expected. It gives us an immense pleasure to know that everything was to your liking. The entire team is eagerly waiting for your next visit to serve with more enthusiasm.

Your positive feedback is very informative for the travellers who are seeking information about Clarion Chennai.

As your suggestions towards Water Bottle pricing, Shaded Parking Area & Bathroom arrangements are been noted and will surely work on that.

Thanking you once again and wishing you the best in your personal and professional endeavours.