“Absolutely loved my room!”
Review of Clarion Chennai

Clarion Chennai
Ranked #54 of 414 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was in India last month for a short holiday. The holiday was a relatively pleasant one all throughout; my companion and I put up at reasonably priced hotels and did not have much to complain or rave about. We were "forced" to stay at The President Hotel on the last day of our trip. Yes, we were forced as the room tariff was much higher compared to the 2000rs we were paying at other places. No free wifi was another deal breaker for us. We were not left with much choice sadly and did not want to waste time fussing about. Now the moment we were shown our rooms, it was a different story altogether. It was luxurious, spacious and absolutely clean. Pure comfort! I loved it, so much so that I was hesitant to leave the room for sight-seeing or shopping. When I finally did hours later, I was delighted to discover that the hotel was strategically located with the beach and malls some five minutes away. So that was a really good thing.

Service was excellent. The staff appeared well-trained. Complimentary breakfast buffet had a decent spread. The hotel also boasts a bar (Purple Room) that has a rather catchy interior. Dining in wasn't cheap obviously, but in my pursuit to fully "enjoy" the room, I ordered lunch in. Tasty but the portion was small.

I only wished they could provide free wifi. I paid an additional 600rs for a 24-hour wifi card which I found ridiculous. Moreover, the room tariff quoted to me excluded taxes, so the final bill came up to a good 1000-1500rs more. I was also surprised to see a substantial fee for "luxury taxes". It's important to spell out these so-called hidden costs earlier. But at the end of the holiday, what I could remember most was my excellent stay at President Hotel and this is what truly matters. I did think it was worth it overall! Definitely recommend this place to those who seek comfort and a little "poshness" - provided you are willing to spend more.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bananarita
Presidentchennai, Front Office Manager at Clarion Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for your detailed feedback about your experience at President Hotel & Towers Chennai.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with and also like our rooms, we will certainly convey your sentiments to the team, who will be enthused to meet and exceed your expectations, every time you stay with us.

Thanks for your feedback once again, it will surely assist us in enhancing our level of service and reach even higher standards of hospitality.

We will be glad to serve you again and will ensure that you have a perfect experience with us.

Kind regards

Abdul Hakeem
Front Office Manager

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband. The room itself was very nice but that is where it ends. On the first night I had a cold shower. The next night I complained and maintenance staff was sent up. After wasting lots of water the water was finally luke warm. The cherry on the top was my final night as we were checking out that night. No hot shower once again. Pathetic excuses from reception. "I am sorry maam". 4 hours later maintenance and I assume was the front desk manager came into the room to check. Most pathetic excuse ever " The boiler was turned off in the morning as most of the guests shower in the morning". NEVER HEARD OF SUCH AN EXCUSE IN MY LIFE. After having cold showers for 3 nights in a row I ended up getting sick. This hotel has spoilt the last leg of my holiday. No amount of "I am sorry" will be enough.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RMoodley
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The hotel is still being refurbished the spa and gym are not available however they are not clear on this in the website where full facilities are advertised. I suggested a partial reduction in the bill to make up for this but was told point blank that this wasn't possible.
In addition the rooms are rather clinical, there is a distinct lack of attention to detail, workmanship in putting the rooms together is sloppy (bad fitting of fittings, smeared paint, exposed plaster in the corners etc. In addition staff smoke near the air con intake and you can smell it in the rooms sometimes. They have a mosquito problem too, despite the room being sealled there are obviously no filters on the air intake resulting in me being covered in bites.

I'm very disappointed in this hotel and in particular the reluctance of the staff to offer any concessions for the facilities out of operation. Be warned!!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank simon_marks30

Dear Sir,

We sincerely regret the unfortunate event that you had to encounter at the front desk and also about the workmanship. We have duly noted your feedback and would be investigating further into this issue and assure you that appropriate actions will follow, as applicable.

We endeavor to offer our guests with an experience which is enriching as well as memorable

Thanks for your feedbackonce again, it will surely assist us in enhancing our level of service and reach even higher standards of hospitality.

Kind regards
Abdul Hakeem
Front Office Manager

Reviewed July 6, 2012

i stayed at this hotel with my family. The ambience of the rooms are very excellent. The service was good and staffs are moving very friendly. The buffet dinner was very elobrate and food was very tasty. The swimming pool is maintained properly. This is the best value for money hotel i have stayed ever.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are beach view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ravima
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments on Tripadvisor.com and your support...

Thanks & Regards,

Wilson Panneerselvam

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I came for a business trip for couple of days, the stay was excellent. The Wi-fi service was very good both in rooms and public areas.The room was very tidy and spacious. Buffet breakfast was very good, staffs are very friendly and decent place to stay. Its was very close to marina beach and citi centre.

Room Tip: Rooms on poolside view is excellent
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RaviAchaiah
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My purpose for staying was purely to buy certain stuff and i stayed here for just 2 night. can;t say its the best hotel in the town but it was decent and economical enough for my purpose.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Management response:Responded June 29, 2012

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your comments, we have taken it in a right way and we have revamped the hotel entirely.... We would request you to stay with us one more time and give us your valuable comments...

Thanks & Regards,

Wilson Panneerselvam

Reviewed November 4, 2011

The Hotel is a good Budget Hotel and is centrally Located in the city of Chennai. It has good abience and maintained in a Clean and hygenic manner. Further, Marina Beach is also at walkable distance. It is certainly value for money.Good trip and stay.

Room Tip: Book front road facing rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo