“Great hotel for a reasonable price”

The Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai
Ranked #11 of 403 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I attended a conference at the hotel and stayed overnight. It is a very nice hotel. The entry car management is not very good. The car had to wait outside for 5 minutes before they cleared other cars at the entrance, though it could have been better managed.

The conference facility was excellent an the food was very good. The venue for the food was outside and it got crowded for the number of people that were seated in the conference. The layout of food serving could have been better to make it more efficient and quick. I think other cities have to learn from catering that happens in Mumbai.

Nice rooms, though bathroom layout was a bit weird as the mat could not be laid on the floor as it obstructed the opening of the door. Architectural blunders I guess.

The hotel is quite far from city centre, however convenient location to reach the airport. Staff is courteous and friendly. Checkout should have been quicker, so keep sometime spare during checkout.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Ranjit S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Thank you so very much for your valuable feedback regarding the Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai. We are grateful to you for the inputs that you have given us and will ensure that corrective action is taken for the entry management. We look forward to your future visits and assure you of the best in services and hospitality at all times.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My perspective of this review is from a standpoint of an offical trip. The gateway is good place to stay for business travellers to chennai, speciially if the workplace is around Sholiinganallur. The room is very good with a spacious desk, if you need to work out of the hotel. I found the the room service to be pretty expensive compared to other business hotels around and even the food wasn't too great. The staff is very cordial and the check-in check-out process was very fast and smooth. An interesting feature I hadn't come across before was that you needed to use the room key even in the lift. The attendant told me its an additional security feature !

The morning breakfast spread had a lot on offer to cater to a wide range of tastes from typical south indian, north indian to a typical english breakfast. You're likely to find something you like.

There is specialty chinese restaurant and also a bar to further indulge yourself.

I was attneding a 2 day conference also scheduled at the same location. The conference logistics were well supported and enabled and the service was good. Worth a try !

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback regarding your stay at the Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai. We thank you for taking your time to give us your inputs and will take corrective measures for the same. We look forward to your continued patronage and assure you of the best in hospitality at all times.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband and I chose the Gateway as we had a personal engagement that we had to attend at ECR. Although this is a business hotel it suited our needs perfectly. We arrived at the hotel, late in the evening and the check in happened in a very smooth and efficient manner.The reception staff understood that we were extremely tired and exhausted. Our room was well appointed and clean and had a nice view of the swimming pool. The Chinese restaurant is good and I also did manage to find the time to use the Spa which was fantastic. My husband and I do travel regularly and what we did notice and experience was that the staff were very efficient,warm and friendly and are willing to ensure that all your needs are met!! At the end of our stay it felt like we had a great weekend getaway from our busy life.Will definitely be coming back soon........!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool have a nice view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Namy217

Warm Greetings from the Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai!

Thank you so very much for your feedback regarding your stay at the Gateway Hotel. We are absolutely delighted that you had a great experience and look forward to welcoming you back again, during your next visit.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Had a wonderful time with my family at the hotel. It is peaceful and the staff is really courteous. Met with Mr Arnab Gupta who took care of us very well. We would recommend to all our other friends. Though it was a short stay we thoroughly enjoyed our time at Sian, Buzz and Swirl. From Check in to Check out all was A+.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Ranjit S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Thank you so very much for your kind wishes and for taking the time out to give us your feedback. We truly appreciate your inputs and look forward to having you stay with us again, at the Gateway Hotel, during your future visits.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

It is very nice hotel with amazing facilities and rooms. The pool is very beautiful and spacious. Rooms and corridors are well lit and spacious. Service and food is also good especially the breakfast and dinner. People are very friendly and always ready to help. Weekends is the best time if you want to visit with family and friends

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Warm Wishes from the Gateway Hotel IT Expressway, Chennai!

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. It is truly appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again. Assuring you of the best in services and hospitality at all times.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The booking here was through my organization since it was near my office in Chennai. Considering this is Taj Backed property, I was expecting good customer service and facilities. So, initially on check-in they did not disappoint me since the check-in process was smooth. I also had a rate which was basis the agreement they would had with my organization.

I checked into a room which could spot the pool from the back and you could see the nearby Accenture building. It was quite, fairly large, good, clean fixtures, comfortable bed, 32 incher TV and a washroom with glass bathing area and efficient toiletries. 5 mins into my check-in, I receive a call from the front desk that they have checked me into a wrong room which was above my booked category by some 3 notches and they did this since they did not want me to waiting (That obviously is something I or anyone can believe). It was a huge gaffe at their end and they said I could retain this room if I pay 600 INR for the next 3 days additionally. Ideally I could have done this but considering organization limitations and on principle I decided to shift. I would have raised a huge hue and cry around this had it not be for a customer meeting I had to attend (which was the reason I was in town) and I did not want to waste my energies there.

They shifted me to another room which was similar in design, the only issue, it was facing the IT expressway and for whatever be the flaw in the window designs fairly noisy. Not that when on business trips you spend too much time in the room. In the night this noise was considerably reduced and your truck wake up call would be 6 AM in the morning. There was no apology from the hotel in this regard throughout my stay and I did not ask for one, since I was leaving early and coming really late. My advise is that the hotel facilities are decent, so ask for a room which is not facing the road. Its fairly new and they Front office seemed to be still learning the ropes.

The breakfast was decent, good spread with some continental and largely south Indian dishes. The place has 3 restaurants - 1 is BUzz which is also the place which serves breakfast. Buzz has a good spread, slightly overpriced for a business hotel but maybe its the Taj. There is a small Pub, which serves drinks and finger snacks and there is a Chinese restaurant which seemed to be empty.

In essence, my advice to the hotel is please see the front window rooms have something for noise reduction. Thats possibly the reason why I am giving you a star less and ofcourse the fact that I had to change rooms.

Room Tip: Choose rooms which are not facing the IT expressway
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TravelPoddar
Ranjit S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for your review of the hotel and your valuable feedback. We do appreciate that you have taken the time out to give us your inputs regrading your stay experience. We offer our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay and assure you that we will take corrective measures for the same. We look forward to your future visits and thank you once again for giving us your feedback.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed here in March for 3 days. Its a clean and good Hotel with nice new rooms which are large and spacious. We had daily visits to Taramani so had to cross the city Toll every time. Staff is very good and accommodating. Breakfast was good with the Gateway Standards.

Overall a great stay with Gateway standards.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Ranjit S, General Manager at The Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Warm Wishes from the Gateway Hotel IT Expressway, Chennai!

Thank you very much for taking the time out to do our review and for your valuable feedback. It is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Gateway Hotel and assure you of the best in hospitality at all times.

ranjit.shankar@tajhotels.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chennai (Madras)
Taj Coromandel Chennai
Taj Coromandel Chennai
#4 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)
Taj Club House
Taj Club House
#17 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)
Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chennai
Vivanta by Taj - Connemara, Chen...
#18 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)
Novotel Chennai Sipcot
#12 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)
Aloft Chennai, OMR - IT Expressw...
#53 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)

Been to The Gateway Hotel IT Expressway Chennai? Share your experiences!