“You get what you pay for. But great SPA experience!”
Review of Savera Hotel

Savera Hotel
Ranked #44 of 414 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Honestly, if there would not be so good SPA experience, my review would be very critical. On the other hand, you get what you pay for, so I shall not complain, since I made my choice myself. But maybe I was just not lucky with the room and other rooms are nice and renovated?
Be prepared, that although Savera is claiming 4 star, it is definitely not.
My rating, while staying in Deluxe (!) room 925, would be 2.5: dirty WC and desperate need for renovation, shabby furniture and ancient TV... so I wonder, what would be standard room?
On positive side, free internet access via cable connections in the room (even though it took more that an hour and 3 calls to the reception to get it), working AC and water bottle and kettle provided.
Reception: busy and not really helpful.
Food OK, but not great. Music in the restaurant: I think they would be better off having CD instead of 2 jaded musicians who were performing western songs. I asked whether they could perform some indian songs, the answer was no.
So,maximum 3 star experience.
But the biggest challenge is to respond to the question: would you recommend this hotel to a friend?
As told before, I have mixed feelings, but since my SPA experience was exceeding my expectations by far, I still would go for recommending this hotel.
Few remarks on the SPA: it is located on 3rd floor and the place is not clearly separated from the guest rooms. Actually, the treatment rooms are renovated (!) and comfortable hotel rooms with massage tables installed.
Quite strange, but massage performed by male therapists is 2 times cheaper than the same provided by female therapist. SPA manager commented, that apparently the idea of male therapists is less popular there and they try to promote male therapists, who are having same level of knowledge.
Indeed, the level of 1 hr ayurveda massage ( INR 900+tax) quality exceeded my expectations, so I went following day again, this time for 6 hours treatment package, which included dinner and snacks for just INR 6000+tax which is very reasonable given the various treatments. But male therapist again, since female therapist would cost you double.
As male, I had no objections, but this would be quite confusing for female customers I guess.
Anyhow, hotel Savera this time gets my recommendation only due to price per room (booked via expedia with some 40% discount vs. their internet rate) and excellent SPA experience.
Hope, will check it out again soon and lets see whether my comments will stay the same then :)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
5  Thank Kasparainens

Reviewed January 29, 2010

I choose the hotel hotel mainly because i had heard of its night club called Sparks.. Sparks and Savera however seem to have lost the spark.. The hotel is nice and the service was good but the building is soo old it definitely needs to be renovated..
Its located very centrally and is at walkable distance to Zaras, one of my favourite eat outs in chennai..

Overall, I would suggest you look at one of the smaller boutique hotels.. Yes u dont get the pool n the gym but for the same price u'll find a nice room that feels newer.. :)

Good luck!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank Globetrotter_414
Reviewed December 22, 2009

I had one business meeting at Chennai recently and i happened to go to Chennai. I had heard about Hotel Savera earlier so i got the room booked in Savera. Its a nice hotel, quite clean and well maintained. The rooms are well laid and spacious. Hotel staff is good. During one of the nights we had the cocktail cum dinner party. It was fantastic. There is one restaurant Piano where the party was celebrated. The live music was being played by one couple. They were playing old english classics. The mood was just superb. The dinner was also delicious. Overall it was a very satisfying experience.

I recommend this hotel to all those guys who want to stay in a good hotel at reasonable price.

Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank ghoda
Reviewed December 19, 2009

Great Location, good amneties & restaurants. It is a fairly old hotel, hence it has big rooms even the 'single' type. But the rooms can definitely be redone. The fridge, TV seem to be the vintage types. You get a feeling that you are in an old time luxury hotel. One thing I really liked there is the food!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Aksmail
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I was booked by our business associate in Hotel Savera. As the name indicated, I thought it will be an average functional property which has been booked mainly being close to the place where I had to visit. But on landing on the Chennai Airport, I was surprised to find that all Taxi fellows were well aware of the Hotel.

As we approached the Hotel the sheer size of the Hotel was a suprise. It is quite big & at a very promonant location.

The check in formality was completed with a smooth manner & that too very courtiously. This Hotel has good & spacious rooms. Cleanliness & ambiance at the Hotel is among the best properties where I have stayed in the past & believe me, as a very frequent business traveller I have stayed in a wide range of Range of Hotels from a lodge in a C class city to some finest Five Star Hotels in India as well as abroad.

The service levels & prompness is definitely above average.

The Hotel has a very well equipped Gym, a beautiful basement Bar & a multicuisine restaurent where buffet fare as well as a la carte menu is served.

All this is at a reasonable price. Moreover, the behaviour of the staff clearly indicates that they are eager to serve you many more times & also would like to have you as a contact reference to get more & more guests staying with them.

Perhaps this hunger to be a well recognised & well frequented hotel makes the stay at Hotel Savera a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Its an old 4star hotel. So you can think of a hotel with marbal flooring, gothy wooden work. I stayed in three varients of rooms - Stndard, delux and suit. Standard was ok. Delux and Suit were good.

The food was good. They have, as I remember, 2 restuarents, 1 pub and 1 coffee shop.

When you go out of room, keep your valuable things in locker as one of my valuable thing was stolen from the room.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2009

I have had an experience working with this hotel for a project and i have found this place very courtious friendly and very homely
i would like to recommend this place to all my friends and people who come across me in my business to stay at this hotel

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business