“Compact stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of E Hotel

E Hotel
Ranked #27 of 388 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
“Compact stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed couple of times. Compact place to stay. Quick rest and move out. Suitable to leave family on the mall and go attend business meetings. Car parking is chargeable which could be free. Anyway, fits the need for traveller.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
GauravGuptaGM, General Manager at E Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for letting us know that we are on the right track, in terms of providing a positive guest experience. We appreciate your comments and want you to know that parking is charged only for Shopping mall users not for our Hotel guests.

We hope that you will stay with us again on your next trip to Chennai, and I want you to know that your repeat business is very important to us.

Regards
Gaurav Gupta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014

Great location in Chennai. For those who do not know Chennai and are reading this review, take it from me, you can't find a hotel at a better location and for this price anywhere else in Chennai.

The only fact I hate about this hotel is that they only have a vegetarian restaurant only, other than that the couple of times I have stayed here, the experience has been superb!

This time around I stayed here during the 1st week of August '14 and me and my 8 month old baby absolutely loved it!!

I love staying here because;
1. The staff are very well mannered and have good customer etiquette
2. The location is superb. The hotel itself is part of one of the city's prime shopping malls which has a vast food court, kid play area, branded outlets, decent coffee shops, big bazaar hypermarket, the movie halls, etc... The part of the hotel itself is enough for you to get entertained for a couple of days of your stay. The best part is that without having to step out of the venue, you can have all the fun and shopping!!
3. The veg food served at the restaurant downstairs is very good value for money as it is buffet! Especially, I recommend you visit the place during breakfast.
4. The rooms have good views and the standard rooms itself are good for 2 people and still spacious if you have any visitors.
5. The location of the hotel is excellent as it is the most prominent part of the city with movie theatres, shopping spots, restaurants, marina beach, banks, etc are all placed at very close vicinity. Being a chennaite myself, take it from me that you can't have it better than this hotel in terms of location and access in any other hotel in Chennai. This property is very conveniently located.

I highly recommend any tourist coming in for the first time to Chennai AND ALL THOSE WHO LOVE easy access to prominent places in a metro city like Chennai, this is the Hotel to stay at!

Cheers,
Syed M. H

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank syed h
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We really appreciate your positive comments concerning our amenities, food service and staff friendliness. These are all critical components to a positive guest experience.

We hope to see you again soon, and want you to know that we truly value your business!

Best Regards,
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights during my business trip to Chennai. The bad part was this is pure vegetarian hotel, so if you like eggs in the morning - look for another place.

The good & the bad part is that its next to a mall. Good because you can kill some time there in the evening and you don't have to explore the city in the rain. Bad because, if you are coming back to the hotel between 6-9 PM, the entry to the hotel may take a while as its on a one way street and the traffic is very heavy.

I would rate it as 3.5 for only serving vegetarian and its location. Food otherwise is good and the rooms are good value.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Manik_1981
GauravGuptaGM, General Manager at E Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are glad to read that you enjoyed staying at the E. It is nice to hear that you had enjoyed time in our luxurious mall, Express Avenue like many other guests. Your appreciation and feedback has been shared with the team. Thank you for your patronage and time.

Hope you visit Chennai very soon and the E Team look forward to welcoming you.

Warm Regards,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

My friends and I from Malaysia had a great experience staying in this hotel. Our stay was indeed very memorable because we had excellent and superb services from your staff. Furthermore, your very strategic location-being in the Express Mall made it very convenient for us to do our shopping.Our stay (27/7 - 2/8) was indeed good. We would surely recommend your hospitality to our friends here in Malaysia. Keep up the great service and well done. Flora ,Pat and Sara

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your patronage & sharing your experience with us. We are happy that we were able to serve to your expectation and it is our priority to keep our guest stay pleasant and memorable with Hotel E.

Again, thank you for the valuable feedback. We look forward to serving you in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Chennai (Madras), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

Purpose of my first visit to this hotel was to check the space and enquire to make a booking for lunch for about 20 ladies. The manager at the restaurant was polite and answered my questions and also showed me possible table seating. Thereafter I enquired about the cake shop and was directed to the cake display just beyond the restaurant. Once there I realised that I was in the mall and hopped across to a store to pick up some stuff.
On my return to the portico I asked for the doorman to call for my driver and car. I was told that the car cannot come there and I should walk upto it. As I was walking another guard said no the car will pick you up from the drop off point. At this point the two people exchanged some words and my car came and I got on. Just as we were to drive off we were stopped and spoken to very rudely and said we were not entitled to use the mall through the hotel I explained to them the purpose of my visit and they asked me for the booking confirmation. On explaining that it was just an enquiry and I also mentioned that I had coffee at the cake shop and since I was in the mall I did a quick purchase. They asked me for the coffee bill which I could not show, and then all hell broke loose. I was told that I am cheating. To not make it ugly I said I would pay for the parking. I was directed to the parking entry and asked to pay Rs150. This I refused since normal parking fee is Rs60. The security incharge of the hotel told me that I was being fined for trying to evade parking by using the mall through the hotel.
For anybody in hospitality to be more concerned about parking fee of the mall and not about potential customers was too shocking and I asked to see the General Manager. He refused to come and the information given was that he is not in the hotel.
It was getting really ugly for these security people using loud voice and treating me like a culprit that I had to make a few calls to get security officer of another hotel to talk to them. Thereafter I left with one of the guards still abusing me that I was a cheat.
So if I dine with friends and we end up shopping in the mall we would all have to produce bills to prove the usage or hope and pray that someone remembers our face that we used the facility. Also what about people who are exploring before booking? This was my first and of course last visit, but the question to answer is that why do people to the hotel get guided to this parking lot. They should anyway be asked to park in the mall that way they can ensure the parking fee is collected. directing them to the hotel Parking and then harassing and abusing is not done.
Shameful exhibition of customer service and handling of guest in hospitality sector.
Thereafter I called the hotel and asked to speak to the General Manager, Gaurav Gupta. I was not connected and though I left my name and number even after 24 hours I am yet to hear from him.
I would warn all people planning a combined lunch and shopping trip to be wary. Get photocopies of the restaurant bill to be given to every guest to prove the usage or avoid it like the plague.
Another suggestion is for the hotel reception to collect parking fee from every potential customer who visits only for an enquiry or to see the hotel to avoid subjecting guests to such humiliation.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank fivestarholidays

Greetings from E!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience with our property. I am reading your message on Tripadvisor with great disappointment and I sincerely apologise for making you feel that way.

What you have experienced is certainly not what we aim to provide to hotel guests. As a policy of hotel we do charge parking if the person has not used hotel facilities and the main reason is to provide privacy and security to all hotel guests. All our guest expect me and my team to provide them privacy and security while they use hotel services, hence it is same reason we do not allow people to use hotel as a passage to the mall. It was the same reason that my Security Officer humbly requested you to pay the due amount. The same amount was waived off as per request your colleague who spoke to our Security Manager. It was not matter of Rs. 100, but policy is strictly followed to ensure the genuine guest are sure that I and team will look after their privacy.

However, I have taken corrective action so that such incidents do not happen again.

Dhaka City, Bangladesh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

The great reviews for E Hotel made this an easy choice for us. But the clincher was the fact that it is directly attached to Express Avenue. As any traveler will tell you, the importance of a good location can never be stressed enough.

Everything about the hotel was great. Check in was smooth and hassle free. Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful. Breakfast although an all vegetarian affair was quite good and although I was doubtful at the beginning, I had started to like it soon. The rooms are very modern and they have a very modern take on traditional hotel room structure which I really liked. Elevators are huge, rooms have lots of lights so you can make your room bright (many hotels don't have this).

Even if for some reason, you don't like the room, the breakfast, the lobby or whatever, E Hotel has its ultimate trump card in the fact the Express Avenue is literally next door. Even a five star hotel cannot offer this convenience which is simply remarkable. Having a world class shopping mall and cinema hall, grocery store, spa and what not directly connected to the hotel is something you cannot buy at any price from other hotels and you should definitely keep this in your consideration. Leaving at 130 AM from the cinema hall and walking into your hotel has a certain charm. Also, there is a very nice bar on the second floor with happy hours on weekdays.

Anyway, it can't all be good, so here is the one and only major negative to the hotel. Internet is fast but provided only for one device. Reception is very understanding and will give you a 24 hour internet card for any other device you may have. But this is really a hassle, getting a new card everyday for the length of your stay and the log in process that you have to go through every time you enter the room is way too time consuming.

Special thanks to all the people at reception who went out of their way to make our trip wonderful. Especially great was the fact they provided a cake during breakfast as it was my wife's birthday and all the staff came over and wished her. Then we later went to our room during the afternoon, there was a SECOND cake waiting for us! Simply wonderful gesture from the part of the hotel. Thank you guys!

Obviously I was very pleased with the hotel and there is a reason why this is zooming towards the top of all hotels in Chennai in Trip Advisor. Hope you have as good a time as I did.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank arvidc
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay at E Hotel, Chennai.

We are very pleased to know that your overall had an enjoyable stay and your detailed feedback is greatly appreciated.We work hard to ensure that your holiday experience is truly memorable. We are glad you liked our accommodation and enjoyed the restaurant facilities at our hotel.

Thanking you once again for sharing your review and we look forward to serving you again.

Pune, India, Asia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Excellent hotel and very helpful staff.
Very clean and modern decor. Staff is courteous and helpful. We arrived early than our scheduled check-in time, but the helpdesk staff promptly accommodated us.
Near to main attractions like Fort st. George, marina beach, national museum etc.
No good views from the room, warehouses in front.
Well decorated lobby.
Part of Express mall, so if you want to do some shopping all the high-end brands are available under one roof.
Good handicraft ships near by.
Good choice for breakfast.
Charges for mini bar items are too high(almost five
times). 150/- for a Mirinda can.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank lavendernroses
GauravGuptaGM, General Manager at E Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with a detailed review of your recent time spent with E hotel, Chennai.

Based on your positive review we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for complimenting our services and amenities.

We look forward to being at your service again in a near future.