“Had a bad experience and decided never to go back” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BBQ Chicken

BBQ Chicken
Ranked #1,544 of 6,589 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Had a bad experience and decided never to go back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

My cousin had come to Chennai for a visit and as a part of giving him a treat I took him to this restaurant for dinner. Following which I would take him to Haagen Darz for Dessert.
We ordered a Korean Barbeque and Fish and Chips. Te Barbeque was good and the fish was decent. But the Potato Fries which came with the fish was APPALLING. IT WAS STALE.

When I complained the brought another set which was stale again. My whole after taste was ruined and I felt like Puking. They offered to give me complimentary dessert or some drinks which I refused.

After this I asked them for an explanation and their chef came and explained that it was "McCain Frozen Fries". I was baffled here was a restaurant flaunting as a Barbeque speciality is a posh part of the city and it was serving Third rate Stale frozen Food!!! Even the mass producing McDonalds next door serves awesome fresh fries!

After this harrowing experience I was Charged for the complete bill for the stale Dish . I did not want to start an argument in front of my cousin, so I just walked out disgusted and told them I will never come there again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

chennai
“Good ambience and great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I visited Bbq chicken after seeing numerous advertisements. We were warmly received and shown to a table for four.
The place was big with a number of tables, but since we visited at odd hours (6 pm) the whole place was practically empty barring a group of foreigners and a couple with a small kid.
The ambience was good, it was impeccably neat and clean and the person attending us was patient and courteous in helping us choose our starters and main course.
We chose olive luxury chicken for starters and chicken burger and alfredo pasta for the main course. The olive chicken was nice and crispy but extremely bland, unlike KFC where it is tantalisingly spicy.
The chicken burger was also tasty and well presented.
But what our friendly waiter failed to inform us was that both the olive chicken and burger would be accompanied by generous helpings of French fries.
I request the Management to kindly give an option whether to add french fries or not and reduce the price accordingly if not opted. Or the fact that french fries would be included as an add on must be mentioned in the menu card or at least orally informed so that we can order accordingly.
One main negative about this place was that when I asked for drinking water, I was informed that no drinking water would be supplied and I would have to purchase bottled water. This is the first restaurant in Chennai or for that matter anywhere, where I was refused drinking water and was forced to buy bottled water. Sets a really bad precedent.
Since the helpings were huge, by the time the alfredo pasta arrived, we were feeling really full. The pasta was delicious, served with chicken and cutlet ,though very bland, but my daughter told me that it was exactly how it was meant to taste. (I really dont know whether it was actually so).
The mojito mocktail and the sweet lime juice were
excellent and a steal at Rs 69 each.
Though it has some negatives, I will recommend this restaurant for those who like tasty and well presented not so spicy food in a good ambience with friendly service.

• Visited May 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Peri Peri Bad!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

BBQ Chicken, Nungambakkam:

This is what happens when you stumble into a place. Over the last few months, there has been lots of positive reviews about this place and when entering this place, I was positive that I am gonna have a good time. This is my first full fledged dinner out with friends after 3 hard months and I want to have fun and catch up. The place is very neatly decorated and well lit. The glass for water on the table was sparkling. We looked at the menu and decided to order some the cream of chicken soup and buffalo wings to start with but we were told wings based dishes are not available today. Other than that they had NOT AVAILABLE sticker stuck on the menu for quite a few dishes. Our options narrowed down quickly. Other starters didn’t appeal to us to we ordered the main course straight away after the soup.

Soup had flavours but was lukewarm and was ordinary.

Ganjeong Chicken and Hot Hot Drums. There was no description for these 2 dishes on the menu but it was mentioned that its spicy. And the waiter pushed us to order Peri Peri chicken as they have introduced it new and its very good according to him. So we ordered half of peri peri chicken and was told its only medium spicy and they don’t have the option to make it very spice or extra spicy.

While we were waiting, we asked for some water to be served and they asked if we want bottled or ….(they did not say anything after OR) and after a couples of second agreement within ourselves, we asked for their regular water for which they said, they don’t have have regular water because of the water can shortage and the only option is to buy bottled water. Now we were sitting wondering why the waiter asked WHAT KIND OF WATER WE WANT in the first place! We were given some fried wontons with mustard sauce to munch on while we wait.

The dishes arrived real quick and it looked good and inviting. Peri Peri Chicken was served with the sauce on the side. That’s right. They served grilled chicken with Peri Peri Sauce on the side. We dug into it and had to let go of the sauce as it was mediocre at best. I would have been happy with Maggie chilly ketchup but I had to be content with the ketchup served with French fries. Half way through, we noticed blood oozing out of it. We took some pictures and showed it to the waiter and after consulting with the kitchen he replaced it. This time the grilled chicken looked darker and the sauce which earlier came on the side is now applied on top of the chicken and nothing on the side. It was a decent grilled chicken!

There were two leg pieces in the Drum Drum chicken and it came with refried beans, coleslaw, French fries and ketchup. It was spicy as mentioned and it was batter fried in olive oil. Friends weren’t impressed but I liked it, it was crispy and the chicken tasted very fresh.

Ganjeong chicken is 5 pieces of chicken (with bone) batter fried in oil. There was a red chilly image next to this dish on the menu but it came on a bed of sweet sauce and had little pieces of green chilly on top. It was sweet most and lightly spicy. Everyone seemed to like this one but there were complaints about this being sweet.

Plus:
Fresh Chicken
Sides are good for main course(French fries, Coleslaw and Refried Beans)
Great ambiance
Quick service( only 3-4 tables were full at 9:30pm)
Valet Parking.
Decent Air-Conditioning
Spicy fried wontons to munch on.

Minus:
Under cooked chicken
Misadvertising about peri peri chicken while they actually only serve peri peri(supposedly) sauce on the side or smeared on top with the grilled chicken(Yes I am sure its plain grilled chicken)
No filtered water( 40 Bucks for a bottle of aquafina)
Many items on the menu not being available (No wings or seafood dishes)
Rice was bland.

Verdict: I would go here again if they had buffalo wings and beer!

• Visited June 2013