“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Chennai Velachery

The Westin Chennai Velachery
Ranked #6 of 386 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Sewell, New Jersey
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at the Westin, Velachery for 3 nights in August, 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The location was especially convenient for us since it was only walking distance from the IIT campus. The staff were excellent and went above and beyond the call of duty. They added so many personal touches to our stay. We loved the breakfast and dinner and the overall ambiance of the hotel and room. The dining room staff and cleaning staff requires special mention for their attentiveness to detail and for making us feel so much at home. My husband also used the pool and he thought it was very well maintained. Excellent hotel overall and would recommend it to anyone visiting Chennai.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ShrikantWakharkar, General Manager at The Westin Chennai Velachery, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your guest review here on TripAdvisor.
It was a pleasure to have you with us. All our elements at The Westin Chennai Velachery have been designed with a better you in mind and we are glad to learn that you had an enjoyable, content and fulfilling stay. Thank you for your special mention of our amenities, gastronomy and our associates. We are happy that our location proved to be beneficial to you and you could use it as per your advantage. Your warm words of appreciation have been forwarded to our team members who are thrilled to receive them and extend their heartfelt gratitude.

Thank you for your kind recommendation. It was great to have you with us and we look forward to your kind patronage sometime soon again.

shrikant.wakharkar@westin.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed for seven nights in August, 2013.

New Hotels usually worry me. They come with teething problems, unfinished rooms and inexperienced staff. The Westin Velachery didn't have any of these which was a great relief.

The staff were attentive, pleasant and proactive throughout. Prakash and Rajesh on the Transport desk were excellent in organising travel for us daily and at a moments notice at times. The concierge staff (Vinayak I believe) were excellent in dealing with my sometimes muddled requests and the kitchen at their main resturants were superb in the quality of their food and their ability to do custom requests (Peshawari naan, anyone? :) ) The gentleman and lady on meet-and-greet duties were excellent as well, very knowledgable about the city and looked to be very experienced.

The room was excellent and to a very good standard. The bath was brilliant as was the bed. The ability to open a dividing screen between the bathroom and the bedroom enabled me to catch up on the Ashes on Star Cricket on the television in the bedroom! Room service was attentive and very quick.

The bar upstairs is called Willows and is a subtly cricket themed bar. The staff there are also excellent and we had a very productive discussion with the bar manager. He did ask about what beer he should stock and my recommendation for him would be to explore the Commonwealth theme that links the major Cricket nations together. This would mean bottles of Australian, British, South African and West Indian beer. Sooo...Coopers, London Pride, Castle and Red Stripe perhaps? Maybe even some Speights from New Zealand! Imagine the possibilities!! :)

The only nit picks I'd have would be only a couple. Firstly, the lack of drawers in the hotel rooms means you're dumping your clothes either on the floor in the wardrobe or in your suitcase neither of which are very satisfactory solutions. Even just two large drawers in the cupboard would solve this issue.

Second, the surface around the swimming pool is very slippery even when dry. I did see a child slip over and almost crack his head back on the marble floor by the pool and I almost slipped over once or twice. Perhaps sacrificing the ornate look of the surface for a more high grip solution to prevent accidents would be good.

Other than that. A great stay and I for one would certainly stay again!

Room Tip: Club floor is an excellent choice. Up on the 8th and 9th floor keeps you away from the hustle below...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your patronage and review. It was an honor to host you at our hotel; your pleasant review detailing your stay experience has been noted with delight.

The Westin Chennai Velachery is your address for comfort and luxury in Chennai. We offer refreshing ambience, world-class amenities and bespoke service to make our guest’s stay memorable. All our amenities have been designed keeping a better you in mind which is why we understand that nothing restores the mind and body like a restful sleep. Our Heavenly Bed lets you experience a night of restorative sleep so divine that you would not like to get out of one. Your appreciation about our management, room, amenities and service are truly valued by the entire team.

We have also shared your special appreciation of our associates with the entire team and they are extremely pleased to receive an acknowledgement of their efforts. Prakash, Rajesh and Vinayak have been suitably recognized in view of the fact that you made a special mention of them.

We feature three restaurants in our property and we are delighted to learn that you were pleased with our gourmet delicacies as well as the made to order dishes were up to your tastes. The Willows Lounge Bar is a sophisticated relaxing space inspired by India’s most popular sport, cricket and we are glad that you had a enjoyable time. Your recommendation is highly valued and has been conveyed to our associates.

Furthermore, your highlighted concerns are very much appreciated as they give us an insight on how to look after the needs of our guests and constantly raise the bar of our amenities and services. The same have been duly noted and will be implemented soon as at Westin, our goal is that our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Westin Chennai Velachery when you visit Chennai next.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Has been visiting Westin from June 2013 almost 2 weeks once and stayed there for one night as well. Tried both Breakfast Buffet as well as Dinner Buffet, they serve awesome food varieties. Me and My wife liked the restaurant very much enjoyed the food a lot. Took my whole family as well and everyone was spell bound with the varieties they had in the buffet. The only concern was the ala carte menu for Veg doesn't offer many options. The staff were courteous and ready to serve us what we required, Partha was of great help especially.
Have my EDM membership and enjoying every bit of it.

Need to improve on the Spa facilities, the rates seems to be very high than what I have had in Park or Accord. The options are less and need Salon facilities as well.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ShrikantWakharkar, General Manager at The Westin Chennai Velachery, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for giving us the pleasure of hosting you at our hotel and sharing your stay experience on this forum.

Centrally located, The Westin Chennai Velachery offers guests a soothing, contemporary environment for business and pleasure. While we are extremely pleased to have satisfied you with our service and dining options, we have also taken a note of your suggestions regarding our spa and assure you that we would look into them at the earliest. Partha has been suitably recognised in view of the fact that you made a special mention of him.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had stayed for couple of days, it was very comfortable stay, the staff is very courteous and warm,the rooms are nicely done keeping in mind the need of todays traveller and the best is the beds I must say they are heavenly. I happen to use the gym also that is also very good and nicely managed.
I had a very satisfying stay in the hotel and I am sure next time I am in Chennai I know where to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nitu P
Dear Ms. Nitu,

Many thanks for staying at our hotel and reviewing it on this public forum. It is an honor to receive such an encouraging review from you. I have shared it with the entire team and they are delighted to have pleased you with their service.

Westin Chennai Velachery is a centrally located hotel where the entire team strives to develop experiences that help guests be at their best in mind, body, and spirit. We are glad to know that you had a pleasant stay at our hotel and found our service and amenities more than satisfactory. We are especially pleased to know that you were able to have a good night sleep at our bed and also found our fitness centre up to the mark.

Lyon, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Spent one night one this very nice and new hôtel. Rooms and amenities are meeting business traveller's very high standard. Including the gym. But the poor service of the hôtel made the trip turn into an average performance instead of the top ranking à westin deserves. Notably when you imagine the investments. Please change restaurant staff, learn people to smile and be customer focused.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Khaldo77
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to host you at our hotel and reviewing it on this public forum. Though we are pleased to know that you found our amenities and rooms up to the mark, we regret to know that our service disappointed you.

Westin Chennai Velachery is a sought-after luxury hotel that takes pride in pampering guests with world-class amenities and bespoke service. As guest satisfaction is our prime objective, we have taken a note of your displeasure in regards to our staff and assure you that we would look into this matter.

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Got to try the Pena colada in the club lounge made by Semim, she makes probably the best Pena Coladas in Chennai, it's a great business hotel with a nice lap pool and spa but can improve a lot as its just opened.

Very friendly staff, doing a great job- making a lot of effort to all guests.

Food needs to improve and so is the presentation.

However a good start.

Room Tip: Take a pool facing room.....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Jatinder,

We thank you for staying with us and reviewing it on this public forum. We are glad to receive your constructive review that has not only made us happy but also encouraged to up the level of our service.

At Westin Chennai Velachery, we strive to go beyond ordinary and make our guest’s stay extraordinary. Hence, the entire team go extra mile to serve guests and they are ecstatic to receive your acknowledgement. Our amenities and services have been designed keeping a better you in mind and we are glad to note that you found them in sync with your expectations. Semim has been suitably recognised in view of the fact that you made a special mention of her. We have also duly noted your suggestion in regards to our food and assure you to do the needful.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Few years back, I had the good fortune of staying at Westin, Poland when I had visited the country. This was the reason I decided to stay at Westin Chennai, knowing very well what to expect.

I was pleasantly surprised from the time I stepped into the Hotel. The lobby was fantastic and the 1st impression that one gets is truly amazing. Yes, I do understand that the hotel had only recently opened but qudos to the management for creating such an ambiance. The team that was on hand during my check-in was truly impressive and made me feel at home from the very onset. Have to make a special mention of Ms. Kavita Patel (Guest Relations) who went the extra mile to ensure everything was in order. She is definitely an assets to the hotel and my best wishes to her in her career path.

The highlight of my stay has been my experience at your Spa. Your Spa Manager Ms. Roshni Praveen is someone who really made the difference to the facilities that are being offered there. She took the time and effort to explain to me the various treatments and suggested what would be the best suited for me at the time. This was followed by a guided tour of the facilty (gym, sauna etc.) by her and introduced me to the therapist, who I must say did an excellent job. My apologies, I forget her name. Keep up the brilliant work Roshni and thanks for all your efforts. All the very best and may you grow to greater heights in your line of work.

Last but not the least, I loved the food throughly and compliments to the chef for the sumptous buffet spreads. The room was very spacious and the bathroom was a class of its own.

I really look forward to my next Chennai visit and without an aota of a doubt it has to be Westin once again. I hope to see familiar faces then.

My congrats goes to the GM of the hotel for having such an excellent team and all I have to say is make sure they stay on for a long period of time as they will only bring good to the hotel.

Thanks team and all the very best ...

Room Tip: Rooms facing the IIT Campus is worth asking for...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sunish_simon
ShrikantWakharkar, General Manager at The Westin Chennai Velachery, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

The Westin Chennai Velachery is your address for comfort and luxury in Chennai. We offer refreshing ambience, world-class amenities and bespoke service to make our guest’s stay memorable. Your appreciation about our lobby, management, room, spa and service are truly valued by the entire team. We have also shared your special appreciation of our associates with the entire team and they are extremely pleased to receive an acknowledgement of their efforts. Kavita Patel and Roshni have been suitably recognized in view of the fact that you made a special mention of them. We feature three restaurants in our property and we are delighted to learn that you were pleased with our gourmet delicacies.

We thank you again for staying with us and reviewing us on this public forum. It was a pleasure to host you and we look forward to welcome you again soon.

Stay Well,