“" Value for Money "”
Review of Grand Tiara

Grand Tiara
Ranked #129 of 393 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Lucerne, Switzerland
“" Value for Money "”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here earlier in December for 2 nights and enjoyed it so much during our transit .
Dont understand why people give this bad reviews . 15 mnts from the airport and a convenient location too.
Rooms were clean and so was the bathroom (except that shampoo was missing and provided quickly over a call).
Enjoyed the bfast as well . Though not an elaborate one , but decent with cereals , fruits , 2 indian dishes and the waiter served us hot masala tea on request.

Bottom line : We would surely stay there again during our next transit at chennai without hesitation and recomends it !!!!
If anyone has questions regarding this hotel would be glad to answer for the service they provided !!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I stayed in this last two weeks on my visit to chennai i was there for three night the stay was pleasent and comfortable service good overall has a good experiance defenitly will prefer for my next visit .

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I stayed in this hotel as a transit passenger. I had booked a room in the hotel through an online travel agency and was told that I would be paying the hotel in the local currency at check-out. However, when I checked in, the hotel staff asked me for a partial advance payment. When I asked him a couple of questions, then he said that I could make full payment at check out. I found this behavior a little strange........ Anyway, the hotel room was not as clean as we expected. The bathroom was small; and the shower was installed in a strange place on the wall; so if we took shower, the whole bathroom floor would be wet. There are no restaurants or eating places near the hotel. We did not want to try out the restaurant in the hotel; it had very limited menu items. I won't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was put up in this hotel for a night by a client of mine. It is more of a guest house than a hotel. One can over look the design of the hotel, but the rooms are very uncomfortable. I was given a small room with a small TV and damp corners. The bathroom was messy and few cockroaches were visible. The rooms had mosquitoes and the bed was very small and uncomfortable.

The bathroom lock was not functioning and I got locked in the bathroom and after some trying was able to come out but them again the door got jammed. To my misery this was all happening in the middle of the night as my flight had landed in chennai at 11:30 pm.

There was hardly any help available and finally a disgruntled employee came who unhappily listened to my rambling and said that no other room is available. When I asked to talk to the manager and raised my voice a bit I was taken to an "upgraded room" - which was slightly better than the one that i stayed in.

As I had to stay in this hotel for 5 days, the very next day I packed and moved to a service apartment. The hotel has no toiletries so carry your own.

Breakfast was bad with a server who was wiping his nose and handling toast with the same hand. Language was another problem as no one seem to understand english and the staff was very unconcerned about service. Food was bad … unappetizing and unhygienic.

Room Tip: Unless you haven other option … avoid the place. But if you have to stay carry mosquito repellent an...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Chennai (Madras) hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was flying out of Chennai this week and needed a place to stay for 12 hours. Chose this based on some of the reviews and the mention of Free Airport Drop/Pickup option.

Only Positive point that I can say is that it was easy to find. Everything else was downhill after that.

When I checked in, I enquired about the Airport Pickup/Drop and was told that it would cost and they quoted 600Rs. I NEEDED a drop and so, I thought Hey, lets just go with it as it would be by default convenient.

We checked in. We were given a corner room. First off, the floor had stains and the whole room looked dingy. My expectations sunk right there. Secondly, they had a TV..well well, if I can call it that.. My laptop screen is larger than the TV they had. Its placed 7 feet across.. You can imagine how well its going to be. I turned the tv on. It was tuned to the TATA-Sky DVR's infomercial channel by default. Had to call the reception to ask about how to get to the damn local channels.

We were hungry. Checked the menu which was in the room. Guess they plan to accommodate primarily Non-vegetarian Clients.. Didn't find the anything that suited our palette. If you are vegetarian ( or vegan like me ), stay away from this Hotel..

Came down to the Reception to enquire about any nearby Vegetarian Hotels.. Service Person in the desk was busy chatting over the mobile phone. When he was gracious enough to get off of it, pat came the reply, 'no hotels nearby'. When probed, was told 'Sir, Im new to the place, dont know..'.. Got right back on to the mobile conversation.

Frustrated, I went back. Thought I would take a shower and venture out to get some food. Was in for a Big surprise..The room had ONLY HOT water. Called Reception again.. After 10 minutes of attempts by the service person, he confirmed my observation and said will have to get a maintenance person to look at the problem. I told them I was going out and would prefer to have the issue fixed when I return or I expected a change of room. They agreed and I left.

Came back in few hours. Now had a different person at the front desk. Upon enquiry, was told that he will to enquire and get back to the status. By the time I reached my room, he called and told me that i was being assigned a different room.

After few hours and enquiring with some local friends, learnt that there were some restaurants that were in walkable distance from the Hotel. Went out and got some food. Thank goodness, they did have a complementary bottle of drinking water. Looked around for a cup or a glass to pour and drink. None...BTW, their description of amenities mentioned

After all these, I was ready to get out and this experience at the hotel had prepared me to look forward to waiting in the chairs of the Airport...

BTW, while I was out looking for food , enquired and was able to get an Auto-rickshaw person to come pick me up from the Hotel and drop me off at the airport for 1/4th the price that the Hotel was charging for their service.

If you only need a place to crash and you don't expect decent service, go for this. If expect quality in the facility itself or the service, STAY AWAY..

Room Tip: Find a different Hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sreenivasan R
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I chose this hotel because it's the nearest to Chennai Trade Center. Location is also close to the airport & St. Thomas mount. When we arrived, the guy at the reception didn't even bother to help us with the luggage. They only watched us dragged the luggage and didn't even opened the door for us although it's clearly visible that our hands were. The hotel is small with ancient style elevator.

Rooms are okay and the bed is quite comfy. However, the sheets were not changed at all during our 4 days stay. I wonder if they kept the same sheet for the next guest. Bathroom is poorly designed, the shower is next to the toilet but there's no shower screen so the bathroom floor will be wet all over when you take a shower.

The restaurant is in the basement. Very small and the waiter is not visible during many occasion. I love Kerala food and I think the Kerala food here is tasty and reasonably priced. I will come here for the food but will not stay here anymore.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kericho, Kenya
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I would to clearly express my appreciation for the Hotel being very clean,management being very supportive and of course the support staff being hard working,kind and respectful.I stayed here for over 15 days and food,breakfast was the best and served on time.I will definitely pass over to my people in Kenya to visit either of your hotels when they visit India.

PHILIP K.A.MALEL
DOCKMASTER KENYA PORTS AUTHORITY
MOMBASA KENYA
+254720676996.

Room Tip: As commented above i will definitely advice some of my friends to visit your Hotels.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business