“Absolutely stunning hotel”

The Leela Palace Chennai
Ranked #7 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Bangalore
“Absolutely stunning hotel”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

I stayed at the Leela Palace Chennai, my first time at a Leela property and I was completely blown away. The room was stunning, beautifully laid out and very comfortably furnished. The electronics and controls were just amazing and every little thing to ensure your comfort was available at the press of a button. Huge bathroom, a great walk in closet and a fantastic dining and sitting area just added to the experience.

The only somewhat negative aspect was that the Indian and Chinese specialty restaurants are open only at night and one cannot eat the simply amazing food available there in the afternoon. Because of this, one is stuck with room service or eating at the coffee shop. I am not a big fan of buffet meals, so this was a bit of a problem, especially on Christmas day when the restaurant did not even have an A La Carte option at lunch time.

The staff were incredibly well trained, courteous and helpful and all in all, its an absolutely amazing hotel. I am definitely going to stay at The Leela hotels more if this is an example of their hospitality.

Room Tip: Choose the Junior Suite. The larger ones have a city view and the slightly smaller ones have an ocea...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Pascal_Dupuis_12, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this review, December 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at The Leela Palace Chennai in the very near future.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
hyderabad
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I was ready to blown away by quite frankly the Leela splendour. But I was left underwhelmed.
The location is a wee bit out of the way and the rooms not as sumptuous as I was expecting. We chose a pool facing room as I wasn't too keen on the sea view (the sea isn't a caribbean blue if thats what your expecting). Don't get me a wrong, it was a perfectly nice room, with a really large bathroom. The shower area had a leak under the door and we were left with a huge puddle overtime we attempted a shower! My friend across the hall had a sea view room and it was nice as well, but we preferred ours since it had a little more privacy.
The reason I even wanted to write a review today was to mention the food at the Leela. In my opinion its the best food you will get in any 5 star in Chennai!
Spectra has a great spread for breakfast and the brunches are fabulous!
Room service was great, with the food arriving hot and perfectly tasty. A special mention to the deserts that were top notch.
China XO- The ambience and the slightly odd seating (affording a more cozy feel) and more importantly the food was wonderful. Do try the sea bass and peking duck. Best peking duck I've ever had in India!
Sadly the highlight of the food was let down by the service. The general attitude of the restaurant staff for breakfast was sad to see. The crumbs weren't wiped off and used jam pots were left on the table from a previous guest. Every time we asked for anything we couldn't help but notice the wait staff looked down right bored. I must mention, this only occurred at Spectra and we noticed it at Brunch on Sunday too. Quite a dampener when your eating delicious food.
A mention to the courteous valet service and friendly staff outside near the car alighting area.
The Leela is definitely a nice hotel. A few tweaks would be appreciated, but please don't tweak the food!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank doctor84
Pascal_Dupuis_12, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this review, December 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such positive comments on Trip Advisor.

It is very encouraging and motivating for all of us to receive such positive feedback. I was however extremely sorry to read about your disappointment about the level of service you have experienced at Spectra and can assure that we have taken your comment seriously.

What you have describe is certainly not the type of service we aim to provide at The Leela and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you at Spectra in the near future where, I am sure, we will be able to provide you with a much more positive impression.

chennai
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Being familiar with Leela standards I had a very high expectations for this Hotel. But I have certainly underestimated the reality! Starting with the location, rooms, restaurants... - it is another fascinating World in Chennai! I strongly recommend all the travellers to take a look at this new Hotel in Madras and not to miss the opportunity to indulge yourself with the great stay in South India! Though they say that no one would appreciate too sweet comments, I could mention only 1 thing which I hope the Management will improve in the coming months - the WiFi, which I believe most of the customers expect to get for free these days!

Otherwise, for those who are already in Chennai - please do not miss lovely Sunday Brunches at Leela (prior reservation is advised!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank freezesover

Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed December 12, 2013

A very good & calming place to stay in. Liked the decorum of room and arrangements. Safety system of hotel is appreciable. Housekeeping is extremely good. Food here is delicious too. Staffs were friendly & cooperative too. The only concern I found was the service extended by staffs during meal at Spectra. I kept on looking for people continuously during my course for help. This is something Leela needs to improve on. Therefore my rating goes, 4/5. All the best to Leela and team!

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is one of the best 5 star hotel near sea beach in chennai. It takes 30-45 minutes from Chennai airport to reach the hotel. Rooms on sea side are the best to have great view. Spectra restaurent in the lobby, swimming pool on 3rd floor are other aminities to go for. The hygiene standards inside the suits as well as in the passages, restaurent everywhere else is excellent. Go for it to enjoy! Value for money.......

Room Tip: Go for the rooms on sea side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Leela_Chennai, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this review, December 12, 2013

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Though I had stayed at other Leela Palaces like Goa, Kovalam, Mumbai etc, but not stayed at Leela Palace Chennai yet. All Leela properties are execllent, massive, but Leela Palace Chennai is best of all. It's a royal palace to stay, in each & every corner there is a feel of luxury. I had personally checked their rooms and other facilities and provided booking for our guests to stay. Organised lot of business meetings at their board rooms and banquet halls. Recently in Nov'13 we organised our distributors meet at Leela Palace, Chennai. All our guests are very much happy and feel good to organise the meeting at Leela Palace Chennai. Their service is excellent, foods are very tasty, all their staffs are very cordial & pleasant.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed there for 3 days during a conference. It was quite amazing and relaxing. The room was quite spacious and luxurious. Aside from a one-off power failure at the very last hour of my stay, everything else was to a very high standard. There were three very good restaurants in the hotel. The food in the Indian restaurant was delicious; the best Indian food I ever had in my life. I have to admit that I did not try any other restaurants in India . They could have been as good. All and all a 5* treatment. I would definitely go back to the same place in my future trips.

Room Tip: ask for a room with the sea view at higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo