The Leela Palace Chennai
Taj Coromandel Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$142
Hilton Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$120
$90
  • Pool
ITC Grand Chola, Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$180
  • Pool
Trident, Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$184
$111
Park Hyatt Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$92
Savera Hotel(Chennai (Madras))
$58
$52
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels(Chennai (Madras))
$71
$52
Agoda.com
Taj Club House(Chennai (Madras))
$130
$62
Lemon Tree Hotel, Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$62
$51
  • Breakfast included
The Residency(Chennai (Madras))
$55
$46
1,695 results
All reviewssea viewchina xobay of bengalspectra restaurantbeautiful hotelpillow menuluxury hotelspecial thanksindian foodbreakfast buffetspecial mentionmemorable stayrooms are spaciousfront officeduty managerbusiness tripcoffee shop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 31, 2012

A Palace indeed, though not officially opened we were afforded all the luxuries and warmth of the staff. We were embarking on a cruise from Chennai but our baggage did not arrive after 18 hrs and two flights from Miami, so we only got to the hotel at 3:45am, the regal greeting including fresh coconut water and a warm towel provided by what seemed the entire staff quickly allowed us to forget the inconvenience and lack of sleep. The hotel's public areas are beautifully decorated, opulent and fit for a king; the local food was absolutely delicious; the room made you never want to leave or to take it with you when you did (chocolates, fresh fruit, marble floor, plush robes, slippers, etc, etc) and the extremely friendly and knowledgeable staff (good advice to save on taxi, where to get good quality clothing (local & western styled) amongst the hustle of downtown Chennai shopping. This was rated as a 4-star pre-cruise hotel, but trust me, if that is correct then every similarly rated hotel in Florida should only be a 2.5 star....no comparison.
Only downside was we were only there for 1 day, and as Chennai's first waterfront hotel unfortunately that does not equate to a beach (marsh like surroundings).

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WillandNic
Leela_Chennai, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive comments on Trip Advisor.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back at The Leela Palace Chennai is the very near future.

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I had the good fortune to stay at the Leela Palace Hotel during a recent business trip to India. Because of my work requirements and a conference that took place there, I did not exit the hotel for 5 days, but what a treat that was! Not only does the decor make you feel like you are living in a palace, the staff is so gracious and well trained that you become completely spoiled! On the first day there, I was treated to an excellent and informative tour of the hotel by Nirmal, one of the front lobby staff members. I learned that the hotel is modeled after the architecture in the Chettinaad dynasty in Tamil Nadu. I saw, for example, Chetinaad-style columns, courtyards, chandeliers and exquisite marble inlaid furniture. The Leela Palace was hosting a very large conference, and decorated it further with roses and marigolds. I could mention many names of helpful staff if I remembered them all because I'd like to give credit to more than just a few. Baishali, another front lobby staff member, was very helpful and friendly, and knew just how to receive guests. In fact, the whole team was this way. Alok, the 3rd floor supervisor made sure that everything was always right with my room. His whole team was considerate and responsive. The hotel general manager, Mr. Pascal Dupuis, is warm and welcoming, and even participated in one of the conference activities. I highly recommend the Leela Palace Chennai for individuals heading to Chennai as well as for organizations wishing to treat their members to a special experience. Thank you to the entire staff! DL

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive comments on Trip Advisor.

It is very encouraging and motivating for all of us to receive such positive feedback. Thank you for mentioning in particular a few members of the team.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed at Leela Palace from 2nd of December for 1 night. Though hotel is still not completely open, but the place is an experience. The room size is amazing and staff very welcoming. It was a short stay this timeand did not get much time to experience any of the services, but I look forward to staying at this hotel during my next visit to Chennai.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 12, 2012

During National conference, we were there for 3 days. Food was excellent and service during lunch and dinner was well planned and extraordinary. Lobby restaurant also very good, with sea view. Conference halls are very big and board room facility also excellent. The interior work is really good.

Room Tip: Please ask sea view rooms
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 11, 2012

OMG what a hotel! This place is gleaming with opulence. We were there last week during the soft opening so there weren`t many guests there yet. Translation: we had the place to ourselves with a full staff concentrating on us including the chefs. They were cooking up a storm as though they were booked. We spied a tray of vegetarian sushi that looked so real I`d have never guessed it was vegetarian. They make all kinds of food there under the direction of executive chef Dharmen Makawana. He`s a fascinating person to talk with if he`s not busy cooking as was Pascal Dupuis the General Manager. We ate many different foods, all were yummy and very gourmet with intricate spicing and lovely presentations.
It was a blast from the moment we arrived until we tore ourselves away in order to keep our itinerary. The bar wasn`t open yet but we peeked inside. We were drooling wishing we had booked in December just so we could have seen the blue floor lights turn on. I don`t think I have ever seen such a gorgeous room, from the art work to the furniture this hotel is going to make the "Best" lists of every magazine and travel site out there. And the staff! I can`t say enough about each and every one of them. The guys down in the gym were happy to personally train us so we weren`t bored working out by ourselves and I have to say that I`ve never seen such a beautifully equipped hotel gym.
My girlfriend wanted to visit a temple that we were unable to find the address for so I contacted Javed Khan the concierge a couple of months before we got there to see if they ever heard of it. Well, they personally went to check it out for us and found out exactly where it was and all the particulars such as hours and what rituals they perform etc. By the time we arrived they were ready to take my friend for flowers and anything else she might have needed to ensure a smooth visit. Unfortunately we didn`t get a chance to visit the temple due to hurricane Nilam. The hotel was strong and sturdy and offered a birds eye view of the winds whipping up the ocean. I can`t think of a better place I`d have wanted to ride out a hurricane. Homemade French macaroons were brought to the rooms every morning with some chocolate. The guys who were cleaning the rooms were extremely professional and always nearby in the hallway. If we wanted to go out to the stunning pool, they`d run and open the door for us and in our case, try to persuade us to come back inside for our safety (which we did) during the hurricane`s 90 mile an hour gusts. The ladies in the lobby, the doormen, just everyone were all very personable and helpful. I could go on and on about this hotel and it`s staff but I have to unpack.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michelle T
Leela_Chennai, General Manager at The Leela Palace Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment on Trip Advisor.

It was a great pleasure having you with us and I am glad to ready that you have enjoyed your stay with us at The Leela Palace Chennai.

We were all delighted to read such positive comments as it serve as a great motivation to all of us and I sincerely thank you for that.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you back in a not too distant future