“Delicious dim sum selection”
Review of The Golden Dragon

The Golden Dragon
Reserve a Table
eazydiner
Ranked #125 of 7,123 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Golden Dragon at the Taj Coromandel has been an iconic restaurant in Chennai for the past four decades. Having pioneered many Cantonese and Schezwan cuisine experiences, the restaurant is known for its legendary Peking Duck, a delectable range of dim sums and the finest selection of Chinese teas paired expertly with the menu.
Reviewed September 6, 2016

I dined here with a work colleague and we both enjoyed the food and atmosphere very much. They have a great selection of dim sum and the service was great.

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed July 24, 2016

On a quiet week day afternoon, my wife and I decided to have a taste of Chinese cuisine. Incidentally, this restaurant (in Taj Coromandel) is a stone throw distance from my office.
The 1st thing that struck me about this restaurant was the slightly sub-optimal “Chinese” ambience except for a distant chinese background music. The interiors need re-furbishment and more creativity needs to be infused.
My view got strengthened when we hopped over to 'Southern Spice', The south Indian restaurant, just to have a look. The staff and the ambience was way better.

As we sat down to order, I could sense a palpable lack of enthusiasm from the staff – slightly non-committal in their body language.

The hot & sour chicken soup and veg noodles were reasonably good, not great.
We ended our lunch with Mango pudding – A dessert where Mango seemed under-represented in colour and taste.

While the customary silver spoons were used, greater thought and care needs to be given for quality of menu card and tooth pick box.
What differentiates a 5 start from rest is the expected above par performance in food quality, service quality and overall ambience.

It was an average experience on all 3 counts.
Having dined at other Chinese restaurants, I can say with confidence that this restaurant is running the risk of becoming a sore point for Brand name Taj.

Date of visit: July 2016
SaleemYousuff, Prateek Kalra- Director of Food & Beverages –Taj Coromandel at The Golden Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sparing time to share your review on TripAdvisor. We have duly noted your feedback. Please be assured that your concern has been noted and is being addressed. I would request you to kindly treat this as an aberration and do hope you will give us a chance to regain your patronage. We would be glad to have your coordinates to reach out to you. Look forward to welcoming you at our hotel soon.

Kind Regards
Prateek Kalra
Director of Food & Beverages –Taj Coromandel

Reviewed July 23, 2016

Has been a surefire place in past but did not pass muster this time. Change of cook ? The soups were disappointing, what was called Lung Fung Soup had big chunks of prawns and did not meet our idea of that soup at all. The Sweet Corn Vegetarian Soup had a lot of good corn but again did not tickle the palate as it should.

The starters were good but were of meagre helpings.

The main course was not bad, but rather bland.

All in all, not what you expect from Taj, and when you are five star and expensive, you should do better than that.

Date of visit: July 2016
SaleemYousuff, General Manager at The Golden Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sparing time to share your review on TripAdvisor. Please be assured that your concern has been noted and is being addressed. I would request you to kindly treat this as an aberration and do hope you will give us a chance to regain your patronage. We will be glad to have your coordinates to reach out to you. Look forward to welcoming you at our hotel soon.

Kind regards
Saleem Yousuff
Area Director – Taj Hotels Chennai & General Manager Taj Coromandel

Reviewed July 21, 2016

When this restaurant first opened it was a treat to have a meal. Its lost that charm. The service does call for improvement and the dishes too. Prices are high and the food doesn't match up.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sparing time to share your review on TripAdvisor. We do appreciate your suggestions which have been duly noted. Look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards
Prateek Kalra
Director of Food & Beverages –Taj Coromandel

Reviewed July 13, 2016 via mobile

I am a resident in the hotel and thought I would visit the Golden Dragon. After 10 minutes of sitting in a 50% covered restaurant without any form of service I decided that they were no longer worth my custom. I stopped to let the manager know, but I am afraid the promises of "speedy" service did not ring true. Totally unacceptable.

Date of visit: July 2016
SaleemYousuff, General Manager at The Golden Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2016

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sparing time to share your review on TripAdvisor. Please be assured that your concern has been noted and is being addressed. I would request you to kindly treat this as an aberration and do hope you will give us a chance to regain your patronage. Look forward to welcoming you at our hotel soon.

Kind regards