“Good property but on the expensive side” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radha Regent

Radha Regent
Ranked #34 of 386 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Hyderabad, India
“Good property but on the expensive side”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

The hotel is located about 30 - 40 mins drive from the airport. While the overall ambiance and food meets the usual Sarovar standards, service was a bit disappointing. There was renovation happening in the hotel lobby and the room allocated was on first floor resulting in excessive noise. Given the pricing of the room, the hotel could have at the very least allocated a room on higher floors or provided an upgrade if same class room were not available on higher floor.

The room and the bathroom were spacious and well equipped.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent. However, here again, the service was a little lacking. Multiple items on the buffet had run out and while fresh and hot food was made available upon request, one expects higher standards with Sarovar. All my past experience with Sarovar have been impeccable and one comes to expect such exacting standards all the time.

Overall, a positive experience. While the room is a little on the expensive side, it seems that rooms in Chennai are in general more expensive than similar properties in other cities.

Room Tip: If there is renovation activity continuing, request for a room on 2nd floor or higher.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
RadhaHotels, General Manager at Radha Regent, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Mr. Satyavageeswaran,

Greetings from Radha Regent Chennai!

Thank you for your feedback at the tripadvisor. We are glad you liked the hotel and food, whereas you feel there is room for improvement in service. We are the first Sarovar in India from 1997 and try to maintain its standards all the time. I am sure that the service lacuna that you experienced is certainly not our standard. We assure you that in your next visit to the hotel you will not find them anymore, as we will sort them out with training etc.

We look forward to your next visit at Radha Regent Chennai.

Sanjoy Kumar Das

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Thai first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Just back from 3 days stay in Radha regent. I stayed with my family. The stay was excellent and absolutely hassle free. Worth mentioning is the food served in the lobby restuarent. Every time the food was fantastic and the menu was varied with different dishes. The staff of hotel were very helpful and courteous specially Mr. Bala, Mr Vivek and Augustine.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear AjitBarot,

Greetings from Radha Regent Chennai!

We are glad to see your response on tripadvisor and we thank you for that. We are also happy to note that you have liked all our services and also mentioned about our staff who could make you stay comfortable. The same message was shared with them & it motivated them extremely.

We thank you for your patronage and wish you to visit us the next time you are in Chennai.

Chennai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Radha Regent, is one the best hotels I have stayed in Chennai, The hotel is neat and clean, Staff are friendly , food has been very good. It is a value for money hotel. You can spend your time at the pub in the basement with your friends and there is oriental restaurant which serves authentic Chinese cuisine. The multi cuise restaurant is awesome. I feel this hotel will rank no 1 in terms of food taste. Overall the stay was fantastic, They have ample car parking were you can park around 100 of cars. This hotel is excellent for holding big banquet functions.

Room Tip: Suites rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear vinodhjeromme,

Greetings from Radha Regent Chennai!

We thank you for your feedback in tripadvisor. We are glad that you liked all our facilities & the services in them. These kind of feedback really motivates all of us.

We look forward to your next visit in Chennai.

Chennai (Madras), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had booked a room at the hotel for a family member. The room was booked through Agoda.com as they had good discounts. All instructions were clearly specified and I had requested for a room with a king sized bed. When we went to check into the hotel, their attitude was completely rude when they saw that it was an online booking. What I dont understand is that, if they do not want customers through online then why do they partner with online sites and also provide discounts?

The guy at the reception was acting like I was at his mercy and was asking why I booked the room through an online site and that they can provide whatever they wish. He was showing a fineprint that everything is subject to availability. All I had asked for was a king sized bed. They really made us wait and was very rude. Even my request to combine the two single beds had a rude response.

The Hotel Management needs to understand that in a few years all bookings will be through online sites and they need to wake up to this fact. They should learn to treat all customers the same, else stop partnering with sites like Agoda. The manager even went to the extent of saying that I need to take up the issue with Agoda and that they were not responsible. My business was clearly with Radha Regent and not Agoda. The site was just a channel to book a room. And the booking was done well in advance.

Today I am an extremely frustrated customer of Radha Regent hotel and Agoda.com

Room Tip: Do not book through online sites if you have any specific requests.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank kartikmurugan
Chennai (Madras), India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

My partner and I stay in a lot of hotels since his job requires a lot of travel. The usual protocol is that if I stay with him, we make it a double room and of course the additional expenses are borne by us. However, the night duty manager(his name was Dinesh) in Radha Regent seems to have a problem with couples staying together if they are unmarried. He suddenly called us the late in the night (about 11 30 pm), to re-check if I was staying back at the hotel, and when we said yes, he asked us to come down to the reception. When we went downstairs, he was on a personal call chatting up with somebody and paid no attention to us. 15 minutes later, after patiently waiting for him to finish his call, he told us that I was not allowed to stay in the hotel since we were not married. When we asked him if he was implying that we leave the hotel he replied with a nonchalant "if that's what you wish to do, then so be it".
Stunned by such behaviour in this day and age, at a so called 4 star hotel, we tried to reason with him. And mind you, we're 26 and 27 years old so it's not like we're a bunch of teenagers. He kept insisting that I leave the hotel in the middle of the night. An hour later, after much trouble he finally agreed to let me stay for the night - and not without a derogatory comment. He said, and i quote 'we are all the same age only sir so i understand these things. she can stay here today but she will have to leave by 8/9 AM tomorrow morning'. The whole time he never even bothered responding to anything I said or asked, and spoke only to my partner - like nothing I said even remotely mattered.
Thankfully the next morning my boyfriend spoke to the general manager and he said it was completely alright if I stayed. The rooms were clean and nice and the food was good too. However I was so shaken by this incident that I would never want to stay there ever again and have warned all my traveler friends against staying in this hotel.
Nobody in the hotel even bothered apologizing for the horrible treatment I received. I have never ever experienced such derogatory treatment from any hotel, anywhere. Shocking.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank radiohead99
Gudalur, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was put up at the Radha Regent for a week while I was attending a course in Chennai. The rooms was very comfortable and clean. The food too was very nice. The only thing that spoiled my stay was the manager Dinesh who has no right to be in the hotel business (must be related to the owners) If u have any problems and need it sorted avoid him and go straight to the GM. It may save you an hour of waiting in the lobby!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank joel2k4
RadhaHotels, General Manager at Radha Regent, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear joel2k4,

Greetings from Radha Regent Chennai!

Thank you for your feedback in tripadvisor. I am glad that you have liked my dealings with you at the hotel, which sorted the differences. I would like to bring to your notice that while following strict guidelines of the department of tourism, which guides us to stop the exploitation of women and children. The reception duty manager was trying to protect the laws by not allowing your female friend into your room at night without any information. These regulations protects all the other guests in the hotel and is also a safety measure.

I am sure we sorted the differences & you could enjoy your stay further. I apologies for the way of dealing at the counter if it has hurt you. We look forward to welcoming you to Radha Regent, Chennai in future.

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

This place is awesome.The selection of dishes in buffet is simply outstanding.The dishes are suitable for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians and made fresh.Being a 3 star,they do maintain the standards of service as always.I will definitely be going back here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Akash S,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the restaurant of the hotel. We are really happy to note your liking for the food and service as well for your patronage. We wish to serve you more often on your visit to our property.