“nice hotel with a nice restaurant”

Grand by GRT Hotels
Ranked #15 of 398 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Pune
“nice hotel with a nice restaurant”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Located in a busy street - getting in and out is a problem in the peak hours. Friendly staff - gave a early check-in five hours in advance without any prior notice. Free wi-fi in the rooms, but low on speed. The restaurant is very good - for south Indian food ( my review of this part is biased as I like South Indian food).
Water quality is poor in the bathroom. (Chennai is a city with significant water problems.) Check-in and check-out is hassle free. I will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: top floors on the rear side have a good view of the city skyline.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ChennaiGrtgrand, General Manager at Grand by GRT Hotels, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the positive feedback on Trip Advisor. I will certainly convey your sentiments to the team, who will be enthused to meet and exceed your expectations, every time you stay with us.

I have made note of the candid feedback that you have given and would like to assure you that necessary corrections would be brought in, from our end.

HP: 9840964282

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Gurgaon
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed there for business - and I definitely liked the hotel. I would even comeback again. They have excellent service, very responsive people, and overall a good feel -- total value for stay. Amazing restaurants - though very pricey -- and a nice buffet breakfast as well.

Things that could be better were:
- Damp smells in room --> Though I did get my room changed.
- Weird smell in bathrooms
- Noise Insulation

If you can get past that, you would enjoy your stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are better. I tried two rooms, with some weird damp smells. But they changed...

New Delhi, India
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I must start by saying that I am not easy to please. A number of places that others rave about fall short in my books while others that no one's ever talked about end up pleasing me. Over the years I've learnt that the key to my satisfaction esp. as a business traveller is really the quality and efficiency of service coupled with that extra value add in the form of a personal touch. The GRT Grand is next to Guna Complex, Teynampet where I need to regularly attend hearings as a lawyer. As I tend to be a bit snooty about the established "chains" I hadn't tried this stand alone hotel until a friend recommended it. And they had me from check in. King size beds - check. Adjacent rooms for my colleague and me - check. Holding a good little table for me so I could freshen up and come down for lunch since I must be hungry and they didn't want me to wait - wow!! As we worked on our case files through the night I got pretty much everything I asked for with unbelievable speed. Any request from housekeeping was attended to in 5 min flat including a request for a female staff member to come with a safety pin and help me pin my saree pleats! The buffet is pretty extensive too although the restaurant could have been nicer in terms of location and space allocation.

Dear Madam,

Thank you for the positive feedback on Trip Advisor. I will certainly convey your sentiments to the team, who will be enthused to meet and exceed your expectations, every time you visit us.

Salem, India
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had to visit chennai on a business trip and stayed at this hotel for 3 nights....the rooms were not that spacious and expensive. The worst part is that I had gone out with two of my friends (both guys) to Mahabalipuram and returned at 1am, it was very late and asked them to stay in my room and informed the reception personnel. But they didn't allow, I was ready to pay the extras. After some argument I told them that I would take an extra room for my friends and they blindly said no because they didn't have luggage (obviously they will not have as they are from Chennai and would leave to their respective home in the morning). At last my friends had to call one of their friends and they had to spend their night there. Thats it...I was done with this hotel and never returned for embarrassing me to the core.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ChennaiGrtgrand, General Manager at Grand by GRT Hotels, responded to this review, August 22, 2014

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My stay at GRT Grand was superb. All the departments staff's were very kind and very helpful. From the guy who opens to huge hotel door for you when you enter till the cleaning staff, all were very well trained, knew their roles and went out of their way to ensure their guests were comfortable.
For the first day I was alone with my 1 year baby, but the staff and the service from GRT Grand made my stay really easy and I felt very safe.
The food is simply yummy! Trust me on this, be it the room service or the restaurants or the buffet they had a huge variety on their menu and damn tasty. GRT Grand has a awesome "CHEF" . One morning at the buffer breakfast, I was with my 1 year old baby trying to feed him some breakfast, and the staff there come up with a fancy dosa- it was the face of a bunny with olives as its eyes and chopped tomato for its smile, which i hadn't even asked for. My son was so excited and enjoyed his dosa. Such gestures are very kind and makes anyone feel comfortable and nice.
The billing was fast and no confusion. The housekeeping staff didn't get bugged when I kept asking for so many things for e.g. coconut oil suddenly one afternoon :)
I had no expectations when I booked this hotel but when I left this place I was super happy and well relaxed. The ambiance was very classy and neat.
Improvement that I can mention is that - the bathroom fitting and the wooden floor underneath the bed can be replaced with new ones.That's all.

I highly recommend staying at this awesome hotel in Chennai.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ninth floor, there was no outside noise. It was quite and you get the city view from...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Ribe, Denmark
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We have visisted maybe 30 or 40 hotels in India.
But this hotel was a bad experience.

Very expensive hotel. Restaurant prices were 4-5 times higher than other 3-4 star hotels.

Instead we ate at a local restaurant where we got nice and cheap food.

The indoor climate was incredibly bad. Air conditioning did not work. We got headaches and respiratory problems of the air. The sheets were damp and humid due to lack of air conditioning.
There was a smell of food throughout the hotel.

The staff was correct but not friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

INDIA
Reviewed June 3, 2013

A very nice appointed hotel in the city. The rooms are well thought of and have all the necessary items for a business visit. The executive rooms do provide a PC as well. The restaurant is good serving authentic south indian food.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ChennaiGrtgrand, General Manager at Grand by GRT Hotels, responded to this review, June 18, 2013