“Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang”

Taj Coromandel Chennai
Ranked #3 of 395 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
London
“Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang”
Reviewed August 20, 2007

This should be called the sorry hotel because staff do nothing but apologise for the hotel . The pool was closed and estimates when it would open varied , I t was impossible to work or concentrate on a book there bwetween the hours of 7am and 7 pm as you could not hear your self think because of the construction work, even on weekends .I chose to stay elsewhere , wi fi frequently down etc etc . Having stayed in Las Vegas I was used to tipping , but here they will follow you round waiting for an opportunity to earn a tip .

Don't be lured by the cheap price there is a reason and sleep may not be possible as the air India flight crews party till dawn .

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — The constant banging
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Wobross

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed June 22, 2007

Just back from spending the weekend at the Taj. I checked in to one of the new rooms - floor 2, at about 2 p.m. in the afternoon to hear pounding, drilling and other loud noises. I was told that the upper floors were being renovated and that work would continue between 1130 a.m. to 7.30 p.m. every day. No doubt not a problem for tourists or people over on work, but there went my afternoon naps. More importantly I was not told about this when we booked.

As for the "new " room, the shower rail fell apart in my hand - quality of construction was pretty bad. Airconditioning was barely acceptable - the "new" system apparently needs time to settle down.

Whilst the staff service is excellent, they nevertheless find ways to constantly disturb you - any food order HAS to be removed soon - you are asked when they should return.- sometimes they just show up anyway

Overall, a most diasappointing stay - on the plus side, excellent food from the Southern Spice restuarant.

One last note, they should seriously consider shutting down and re-theming the Fort St George bar. The format of this bar has not changed to my knowledge for at least the last 20 years!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
New York City
Reviewed January 5, 2007

We stayed in room 403 (a suite) in January 2007 and wish we could have stayed longer. It's true that the hotel does not look like the minimalist places you see so often now in Asia. It's more of an old-fashioned hotel than a trendy Bali-style one. But the rooms were a good size, the service was excellent (they even fixed my wi-fi connection and told me what to do next time it stops working) and we really enjoyed the food. I would strongly reccommend the South Indian restaurant in the lobby. We had one of the best Indian meals of our trip there.

• Liked — the restaurants
  • Disliked — lack of shops
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank newyorkanya
New York, NY
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I agree with some of the comments on this site regarding the rooms needing to be updated, but I've now stayed at this hotel several times and am sold. The rooms are good, especially compared to other Chennai options. What really makes the difference is the service. The staff knows you by name and goes well out of their way to help you with any requests. And, the restaurants in the hotel are great- especially Southern Spice (south Indian) and the Golden Dragon (Chinese). This is a great option if you want a full service hotel with an amazing staff.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
San Diego
Reviewed March 23, 2006

This hotel is in dire need of a renovation. I expected a luxury, 5-star hotel for the rate I paid ($315+ a night), but was very disappointed. The rooms are old, smell like mildew, and are noisy (thin walls and windows). I wanted to move to a new hotel the minute I saw the room... On a positive note, the staff members were very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank SFtoSD
Singapore
Reviewed October 26, 2005

Just came back this week from a 4-day stay in this hotel.

Room/facilities: The rooms and beds are clean but have a slight musky smell...the staff says the hotel is 30 years old. I met a Chennai resident on the plane and she told me this is the "best" hotel. The included breakfast has a full buffet consisting of local and international selection. There is (I think) about 4-5 restaurants here : Chinese, French, Southern Indian, and a 24-hour international. The stay included round trip transfer to the hotel in 2 cars (there are 4 of us). There was a tag in the room that there is wireless internet (but not free of charge) which I did not use. Good hotel faciliitie/lobby. TV has many cable channels.

Service : Is first class...but then again...I got pretty good service thru most of Chennai. They try to surprise you with little things like washing and pressing a pair of pants left on the chair, leaving a box of chocolate (not just a lousy piece of mint).

Price : My biggest complain. The rate was USD 220 per nite b4 a 12.5% tax for my room. In a city where I can get a 3 hour city tour for about USD6, I think I expect a "Four-Seasons" equivalent for this price..but I think I am getting a "higher end Holiday-Inn-equivalent"

Location : This is in the heart of Chennai city although I did not roam around by foot near the hotel. Most of the places I need to go in Chennai was about 5-10 min "tutu" ride as I wasnt there for holiday. The main shopping centre, Spencer Mall, is about 10 min away and next to the other Taj hotel.

But the conclusion : I am back on this site looking for another hotel that is cheaper and hopefully newer/cleaner to stay for about 2 weeks next month.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank Ashley S
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 8, 2005

We had reserved 2 nights at this hotel. No way. The one review I read about this hotel as not representative about what I found. The room I got had not been updated since 1974. The beds were terrible, the funituree old. The badtub had stains in it that made it look dirty. The hair dryer was also from 1974 or older. I requested a newer room. The staff was very kind. The most Kind I have ever found. But the rooms we were showed were just as old. We were given a suite. It was just bigger. Same old beds. I got a bug on the pillow. I barely slept. Breakfast was good and the staff very sweet. But, I checked out first thing in the morning.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business