“First Experience with The Jewel of Chennai”

Taj Coromandel Chennai
Ranked #4 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
“First Experience with The Jewel of Chennai”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Taj Coromandel has been strongly recommended by fellow colleagues, hence the choice for my first trip to Madras. I was stranded at the airport for about 30mins cause the airport transfer arranged prior did not show up. Called up the hotel and the issue was swiftly resolved by Duty Manager Mr Deepak with activation of his back up plan.

Welcomed by Mr Deepak with a sincere apology after arriving at the hotel. He requested for copy of the airport transfer confirmation email so that he can see to the bottom of it. Thanks for waiving the airport pick up charge from my bill, appreciate your efforts to honour the gentlemen agreement.

Also not forgetting the friendly Trident Hotel representative in the airport who is eager to help. Upon knowing I couldn't find the Taj Coromandel representative, he quickly made calls and assured me someone is coming my way. Really appreciate your kindness to help.

Escorted from the grand hotel lobby to my room by very friendly Charity.
Check in was done in the room by Charity who patiently take note of all my requests during the stay including my morning wake up call and office transfer timing.

Taj Coromandel may appear dated but it's kept well maintained in all parts. The room is set up with lush of art works, timber flooring and lotsa upholstery. Housekeeping team did a great job in keeping my room clean and tidy, thanks to Prasanth and Soban. I smelled nicotine on my sheets one of the nite so I made a request for sheet change next morning. Not only was the sheet changed the next day, it came with an apology note and small token gift.

The pool set out in the lush garden is so appealing for a dip. Also checked out the sauna and steam room which is generous with space with high standard in cleanliness.

Breakfast choice at Anise was aplenty and the friendliness and attentiveness of Priyodip and other waiters made you feel home. Impressed with his attention to details on my daily order of English Breakfast tea, pan cakes and sunny side up.

Tried in room dining when I was on lazy mode, foods taste great and service was prompt. Been surviving at work with lunch box from the hotel during the week stay, sandwich is decent along with crisps. Had drinks with colleagues at Chipstead on two nights, service was good but amused they have no coke to go with rum.

Fine dining experience at Golden Dragon is the best with Chinese cuisines which reminds me as though I'm in Hong Kong. Great ambience with immaculate service. Love the selections of Chinese tea.

Overall a great experience of Taj hospitality at Coromandel which marked my first ever visit to Madras a memorable one. Looking forward to call Taj Coromandel home again in Madras.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you ever so much for taking the time to share an elaborate review on Tripadvisor.
My team and I are extremely grateful to you for your thoughtful words of appreciation. This will surely encourage us to continue to strive for excellence. I am happy to note that you are satisfied with the service and newly-renovated facilities.
The Jiva Spa complex, adjacent to the pool will be operational when you visit us next, and will further enhance your relaxation experience at the Hotel. We are also eager to showcase our award-winning South Indian specialty restaurant, Southern Spice, to you when you return.
Thank you once again for choosing the Taj Coromandel as your home in Chennai. It is an honour and privilege to have you with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
General Manager, Taj Coromandel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
bangalore
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had been on a official trip somewhere around End of last year.

Nice neighborhood to stay in the middle of the city with easy access to all the places.

When i checked in first to the hotel i was very impressed with the Hotel interiors and the Room, After i got settled and thought will take a quick shower before going out the Shower wasn't working and it took them a good 45 min to Fix it there was my first Disappointment.

Next, Wanted to get connected to WiFi thought will check with the reception the Lady in the reception said its free and the process to activate the same. In fact i re-confirmed with her after which i used the WiFi for the rest of the Day until next day i didn't know there was a surprise waiting for me while they billed for the WiFi and they argued that no one would have agreed of the free WiFi.

FOOD : Loved the food one of the Best Breakfast spread to wake up for after a tiring night. In fact only thing i really enjoyed my stay in Taj :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
While I am happy to note that your enjoyed your meal experiences at the Taj Coromandel, I am disappointed to read about the service lapses during your stay. Please be assured that we have taken up your feedback individually with the teams, and have taken strict corrective measures.
We do hope you will give us a chance to serve you again. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
General Manager – Taj Coromandel
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Whenever i visited India...be it in Delhi or Bombay or Chennai...I always have breakfast and always ordered Masala Dosa...but by far....this is the best among all Taj hotel in those 3 cities......my colleague even ordered second.....must try....

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your compliments on Tripadvisor.
I am grateful to you for your recommendation. I do hope you have had a chance to dine at our award-winning restaurant, Southern Spice, showcasing cuisines from the four southern states. If not, I would like to recommend you do so on your next visit, to sample various other South Indian delicacies.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in July on business. It was clear upon arrival that the team prides themselves on a high level of customer service- we were well looked after for the whole week. The hotel is a fine one with some nice Art Deco features. The pool is set in a nice garden where you can get a glimpse of some unusual wildlife running around if you're lucky. Breakfast is good although recommend you get there early as it gets a little chaotic later on (on the one occasion I was there after nine I witnessed two grown men arguing about who had sat at a particular table first- very amusing). The on site restaurants are of a good standard and surprisingly good value. I have a few minor quibbles that were enough to knock this down to four stars. These are as follows:

1) My iron didn't work and my TV emitted a strange and disturbing noise when switched on.
2) The staff were a little too enthusiastic when offering to resupply the minibar- on the one occasion I spent any time in the room I received no less than 4 visits from very polite staff offering to fill up my minibar. How much whiskey and Pringles do they think you'll get through in an hour?
3) Probably a little unfair this but the bar is uncomfortably loud. I was sat in the lounge just off the bar watching some cricket with my colleagues enjoying a drink after a hard week. However, we were forced to cut our relaxing evening short as the DJ thundered out a series of dance tunes at festival level volumes. I wouldn't have minded if anyone was dancing but the place was virtually empty. Maybe because it was too loud...

However, these are all relatively minor grumbles and overall, this was a positive experience.

Stayed July 2014
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your detailed review on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to note that your overall experience at the Taj Coromandel was satisfactory. Please be assured that we have taken note of your feedback regarding the improvements that can be made in our services and facilities, and have addressed the same.
I would like to inform you that we are soon launching the Jiva Spa complex adjacent to the poolside, which will enhance the oasis of relaxation at the Hotel.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed for 2 days in taj chennai , the same is centrally located . The check in and check out was smooth . The service as usual had a taj trademark and superb . The rooms and the service was very good . A good property to stay

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floor are good
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ajaybgarg
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to know that you had a comfortable stay with us at Taj Coromandel. Thank you for your recommendation; we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Awesome and great property, centrally located in the heart of chennai, i stay there always when i am in Chennai, the rooms need work, and when you wake up in the morning and open the curtains don't expect much. make sure you request for a room with a pool view can be great, serene and nice.

Most Amazing GYM, had to remind the staff to keep their mobiles on silent and not argue when someone is exercising.

The Team is great as always....

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your views on Tripadvisor.
While I am glad to read the positive feedback, please do note that we have taken corrective measures with regard to the service lapses.
I would like to inform you that we will soon be launching the Jiva Spa complex adjacent to the pool and gymnasium, which will surely enhance the oasis of relaxation at the Hotel.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Taj Coromandel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
General Manager – Taj Coromandel
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed at Taj on a recent trip to Chennai, after moving out of another good hotel that did not deliver. Taj is wonderful. The staff is very courteous and professional. The room I was initially given had a few problems like dripping water from the AC vent and leaking water in the restroom shower.

However, on my first complain to the front desk, I was immediately moved to another room. The front desk manager personally checked the new room to make sure it was good and also helped the other staff in moving my stuff. Kudos on the professionalism. The room I stayed in was spacious enough for 1 person. The seating area by the window is a definite plus and helps when you have visitors. I also liked the central remote that controls all areas of the room. The food is great. The Golden Dragon restaurant on the main floor has wonderful food and exemplary service. The location of Taj is very good and you have tons of places for shopping and eating out near by pretty much at walking distance. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.
I am glad to note that you have had a satisfactory experience at the Taj Coromandel during your recent stay. I am grateful to you for your compliments, which will surely motivate us in our endeavour to achieve excellence.
I hope you have had a chance to dine at our award-winning South Indian specialty restaurant, Southern Spice. If not, I would recommend you do so on your next visit.
It was a pleasure and privilege to have you with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.