“Delightful luxury”

Taj Coromandel Chennai
Ranked #4 of 403 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed January 28, 2014

If you are looking for perfection in all aspects of your stay this is the place to be. The courteous staff, the cleanliness, the aesthetics, the restaurants, comfort and unadulterated luxury are just some of the things that a stay at Taj Coromandel promises you.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to note that your stay at the Taj Coromandel has met your expectations. Your words of praise for our facilities and associates motivate and encourage us to strive for excellence in hospitality.
It was an honour and privilege to have you with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Very neat and clean hotel, but cost is too much. If you are going for businees trip, good to stay and very hygiene in nature. Staffs are well manner. Very nice south Indian and continental foods are available with good taste

Room Tip: Good for business trip
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
It was a pleasure and privilege to have you with us at the Taj Coromandel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Taj Coromandel staff are incredibly attentive, pleasant and very friendly. The various restaurants on the property are all stellar (I thought). They set up private yoga lessons for me with an owner of a local studio - yoga in the morning next to the beautiful pool will always be a favorite memory of mine...as well as the jasmine garlands provided at check-in, and then subsequently left in my room every day. If I were to return to Chennai, I would stay at the Taj.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank esteph40

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.
Our associates are greatly motivated by your compliments and this will help us in our endeavour to strive for excellence in hospitality.
I would like to inform you that we will soon be launching the Jiva Spa adjacent to the pool which will further enhance the relaxation experience at the Hotel.
Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Coromandel soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Its an amazing place to stay and its nearly at the center of the city. The staff were courteous. It has an amazing pool and an in-house restaurant serving local delicacies. That being said, you do not run out of options to try the local food at near by restaurants. There are several restaurants like saravana bhavan, woodlands which are at a stones throw. My stay was memorable. The 5 star hotel serves fresh juices and a good variety of stuff as a part of the dinner. Its very close to the Marina beach which is a good tourist attraction.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am glad to note that your stay at the Taj Coromandel was memorable and met your expectations.
As you rightly pointed out, the Hotel is very well located. I would like to let you know that we have recently launched a bouquet of exciting experiences that give you a peek into the art, culture and tradition of Chennai. Please do sign up for one of these Captivating Chennai tours on your next visit.
It was a pleasure to have you with us at the Taj Coromandel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

The Taj Coromandel is an amazing hotel

the staff was all very friendly and keen to ensure our stay was comfortable

The pool is amazing, and the spa is as good as any around the world and the restaurant is great

I should have reviewed this hotel a couple of years ago; it was only updating my trip Adviser entries I had forgotten to do an entry, but not the Taj Coromandel

My visit was and still is memorable and I still think it is a great Hotel

Highly recommended

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your views on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to note that you had a memorable stay with us at the Taj Coromandel on your visit. We are grateful for your compliments to our facilities as well as the dining destinations.
I would like to let you know that we will soon be launching the Jiva Spa near the poolside area, which will complete the oasis of relaxation at the Hotel.
We are eager to serve you at the Hotel and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I could not have been more disappointed by my stay in this hotel. As a hotel that is supposed to be able to compete with the best in the city it fell massively short of the expectations it had created.

Firstly, five stars? Who gave it five stars, the lobby was nice but a basic requirement in a hotel above three stars is that the rooms are dry and clean, not damp and mildewy.

Also the staff try hard, but I saw some of them working from morning to night at least 16 hour days which is just not on. I would complain about some of them, but they clearly hadn't slept in days, and were forcing themselves to smile, room-service and service in the restaurant took forever, although the laundry service was great, however I need my coffee faster than I need my shirts ironed as a rule. Waiting forty five minutes for a few espressos is mental.

The management were rude, to all guests. Also incredibly disorganized. They insisted that all incidentals be paid for upfront, which defies the point of incidentals. Late one night they locked all of the guests out, when I asked why I was locked out it was because I hadn't paid the two euro charge for twenty minutes of wifi I had used that morning. Because they decided to lock everyone out at that time, it took hours for people to be able to access their rooms. The management somehow didn't think of this. I feel very sorry for the lower level staff who were forced to deal with the moronic decisions that happened higher up. Given the prices of the hotel I would have expected more, the breakfast was also painfully mediocre, however the food that room-service did (when it came within an hour) was quite okay.

Room Tip: Trying to get a room that isn't damp and mouldy seemed to be a struggle, however the second floo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
29  Thank Marianifhlafla
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I understand that you were part of the student group that stayed with us in December 2013.
Please be assured that your comments regarding the room and service lapses in the restaurant and in-room dining have been taken up with the concerned departments.
Regarding the keycards of some rooms being disabled, we had left a communication in the rooms to contact the front desk regarding a reissue of the same. Those guests who contacted the front desk were promptly reissued keycards. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused due to the same.
Our associates at the Taj Coromandel are treated with utmost dignity. While there may be exigencies where they are requested to work beyond the stipulated hours, they are given adequate time to recuperate and maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Coromandel soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The nicest thing about this hotel is the greeting you receive when you first enter. After that, you feel as if people are nickel and diming you constantly, which I do not expect from a 5-star hotel. The idea of paying close to $300 for a room in India and then being charged petty fees for printing a ticket or using the internet seems absurd. Just include it in the room fee. There were plenty of people being locked out of rooms also, which is annoying. The restaurants were, on the whole, good. Breakfast was decent and the Indian restaurant was really great, though fairly pricy. There were also charges to call other rooms in the hotel; small but again, annoying for a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
26  Thank Ms_Demeanor
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am grateful to you for your compliments for our welcome experience and dining destinations at the Taj Coromandel.
I understand that you were a part of the student group that visited the Hotel in December 2013. We have been informed by the local organizers that the billing instructions of all expenses, including concessional WiFi rates, have been communicated to all guests in advance and before the arrival in Chennai.
Please be assured that phone calls between rooms have not been charged. However, calls to mobiles / direct line numbers using the telephones provided in the room were charged on actual.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Coromandel soon.
General Manager, Taj Coromandel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chennai (Madras)
The Leela Palace Chennai
#5 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)
ITC Grand Chola, Chennai
#2 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)
Nungambakkam
Taj Club House
Taj Club House
#17 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)
Park Hyatt Chennai
#8 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)
Guindy East
Hilton Chennai
Hilton Chennai
#10 of 403 in Chennai (Madras)

Been to Taj Coromandel Chennai? Share your experiences!