“Extra Care”

Taj Coromandel Chennai
Ranked #4 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
del
“Extra Care”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Hotel staff takes extra care from the stage of booking through checking out and if you use hotel car, up to the airport/Railway Station etc.

You are greeted at the Airport by a senior Hotel executive, the hotel car all necessary amenities, drinking water at room temp or cold water, damp towel, newspapers, magazine etc.

I could even arrange switching off my room AC as at times if it is too cold, I could not tolerate it.

The breakfast and dinner were superb.

Room Tip: If going for a Club Room, avoid being near the Executive Club Lounge for minimum disturbance
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your recent stay at Taj Coromandel.
It is our continuous endeavour to offer the very best in hospitality, ensuring each of our guests are looked after. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your experience.
We look forward for the pleasure of having you stay with us again in future.
General Manager – Taj Coromandel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed September 2, 2013

It is a legendary hotel in Chennai, a landmark one can argue.
Best part is its wonderfullocation. And when it comes to Taj, the staff is always impeccable. Though I did find the rooms small. Which can act as a little bet of a setback compared to the setback on your wallet.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.
We are grateful to you for your kind words of encouragement for our associates. We have noted your feedback regarding the size of the rooms. We will address this in the next phase of renovation where we intend creating rooms which will be larger in size than the current ones.
We do hope you have dined at our iconic south Indian cuisine restaurant – Southern Spice. If not, we would recommend you do so on your next visit. We would also like to inform you that we will be launching a brand new Jiva Spa complex by the end of the year which will enhance the relaxation experience at the Hotel.
Look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Coromandel soon.
General Manager, Taj Coromandel
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel has a good location for those who want to explore the city; lobby staff knowledgable and helpful when planning days out. Rooms and bathroom are spacious and up to date. Breakfast was pretty good. There is also a good selection of restaurants within the hotel - Chinese restaurant especially is very good.

We had access to the Club Lounge, but sometimes I found that what defined my experiences with the lounge were the staff on shift. On the day I arrived I found the waiter to be quite un attentive and a little rude (read fed up). On the later days, different staff were there, who were actually very pleasant and attentive. Moral of the story: the lounge is much more enjoyable when staff are friendly and welcoming. And I'm not exaggerating or nit picking either - the dude who was rude was actually off putting and must have known what he was doing!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Annie O
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very for sharing your valuable comments on Tripadvisor.
While I am happy to note that renovated room and restaurants at Taj Coromandel have met your expectations, I regret that you had an unpleasant experience at our Club Lounge on arrival. Please be assured that we have addressed this concern with our associate and have taken corrective measures.
We will soon be launching bespoke experiences that are cued into the ethos of the destination. We will be happy to showcase this to you, besides helping you customize your stay at our Hotel.
Look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.
Director Operations – Oriental Hotels &
Mysuru (Mysore), India
Reviewed August 27, 2013

What a lovely experience to have the luxury of a snack time treat at the Taj. The Maitre De (whose name sadly I didn't pick up) interacted with me as if we were long time acquaintances, with the right level of informal courtesy.

We had a goat cheese dish and paneer pakodas I think--my superlative cup of Cappuccino has nearly erased the memory of other tastes, delectable as they were.

The ambiance at the restaurant provided just the setting for a relaxed and happy but very brief get-together with visitors from distant places we see only rarely.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
Your compliments for our associates are very motivating and will encourage us to achieve greater excellence in service.
Look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Coromandel soon and recommend that you try our specialty restaurants – Golden Dragon known for Sichuan delicacies and Southern Spice serving authentic food from the four Southern States.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had been to the above restaurant for dinner with our family. We enjoyed the ambience and the staff were very supportive and caring. They took good care of our food, we asked for including which was on the Buffet too. the Best was the Dum Mutton Biryani and the Pizza vegetable one.
There were also sugar free sweet dishes and fresh fruits. My son liked the chocolate milk shake and it was very tasty. A visit to this restaurant once a year is compulsory.

Room Tip: Reserve your table close to the swimming pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Mr Mohamed Aslam,
Thank you for sharing your compliments about your recent experience at Taj Coromandel on Tripadvisor.
I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your experience at Anise and hope to see you more often at the restaurant.
Do try our authentic Schezwan and Cantonese cuisine at Golden Dragon on your next visit to the Hotel. For a taste of the traditional cuisine from the four Southern states, do dine at our iconic South Indian specialty restaurant – Southern Spice. I am sure your family will enjoy these experiences too.
Do let us know if there is anything else that we can do for you; look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Coromandel soon.
Director Operations – Oriental Hotels Ltd &
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I love the Taj Group of Hotels – especially the Vivanta properties for their exceptional service & convenient locations. However once in a while, couple of the ‘non-Vivanta’ properties seem to mess up the hard-earned, well deserved reputation by getting some of the basic ‘hygiene factors’ wrong. Now, while these do not necessarily affect the your quality of your stay, but as they say, hygiene factors being hygiene factors, are there may not make you happy, but their absence surely can spoil your overview, your ‘experience’. And ah!! don’t the highly rated hotels sell their ‘experiences’ as their biggest USP?

It was one such case at the famous Taj Coromandel, Chennai – part of the Elite Luxury Hotels of the World!! The hotel is just fantastic — iconic property, excellent location. Rooms are lovely, large with every regular amenity. The Clinton and Who’s-Who of the world have stayed here – photos on the walls are testament to the fact. Beds are one of the most comfortable I have experienced amongst all Taj properties I have been to. The cleanliness and room service is fantastic– they even cleaned the room and refreshed the empty amenities during a late checkout. The Gym leaves something to be desired with only a few basic machines, though the pool is really nice & large.

Now for the poor experience during breakfast that spoilt it all. Like most business travelers – I too only need a place for a good night’s sleep, nice breakfast options and at max a good bar / health club (depending on the time available). Poor service on these basic fronts simply spoil the whole experience. Exactly this happened at the Taj Coromandel:

• The table was not properly set up despite 2-3 staff standing right next to it. Even the basic napkins were missing
• Nobody bothered to check if I wanted coffee / tea or even juice till the very end – that’s the first thing you would be asked in any other place the minute you sit down
• Nobody provided the drinking water – had to ask for the same twice
• The butter tray was an used one and all messed up, obviously nobody bothered to change it after the last guest left
• Table clearance was very poor in spite of very few guests there & the staff out numbering us
• 3 of the neighboring tables had the guests complaining loudly about wrong orders being served to them and delays

There seems to be something systemically wrong about the quality of staff at Anise (coffee shop) which is very surprising for a hotel of this repute. Taj Group seriously needs to train the staff better – as expectation tends to be very high in their hotels, especially if the property belongs to the Elite Group.

Would I recommend this hotel? Absolutely! The property is just excellent and I am quite sure the smaller operational lacunae can be sorted with better floor management.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WheelsOnOurFeet_JD
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Mr Chaudhuri,
Thank you very much for sharing a comprehensive review of your experience at the Taj Coromandel on Tripadvisor.
We are grateful for your compliments for our newly-renovated rooms and housekeeping associates. I am deeply disappointed, however, to read about the lapse in service at our all-day diner, Anise. Your detailed feedback will help us take corrective measures and provide guests with service that the Taj is best known for.
We would like to inform you that at our newly-renovated gymnasium, besides the regular offering, we have installed the Kinesis fitness equipment, which has more than 200 different do-it-yourself fitness regimes. We will soon be launching the Jiva Spa, which will further enhance the relaxation experience.
I am indeed grateful that you continue to recommend our Hotel despite the unfortunate incident, and would like to thank you for your patronage.
Look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Coromandel soon.
Director Operations, Oriental Hotels Ltd &
General Manager, Taj Coromandel
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We spent a week at the Taj Coromandel and loved every minute. The rooms are lovely and I enjoyed reading a book in the windowseat during hot afternoons. The gym was modern, very well equipped and nicely cool. The garden around the swimming pool is beautiful. I also noted other guests gazing at the flowers.

The staff at the Taj Coromandel and its restaurants go beyond the call of duty to make their guests happy. Their many kindnesses made our stay in Chennai an unforgettable experience. Even an unusual request such as a chat with the hotel engineer about energy conservation and power generation was arranged for my husband, who works in the renewable energy business.

Breakfast at Anise was wonderful with a large choice of both Indian and western cuisine. The staff at Anise are extremely kind and helpful in advising breakfast options. I loved the Chennai coffee. Dinners at Anise were brilliant.

We ate every dinner at Anise and loved it every time. I have an extreme shellfish allergy and eating in restaurants can be hazardous. It was wonderful how Anise staff took full control of the situation, also informing the other restaurants and room service of my allergy. I had the most wonderful dinners and could eat without worry. Anise was holding a Mumbai streetfood festival and it was wonderful to try it out. I remember one evening when I actually ate too much and could only manage some fresh fruit as breakfast the next day.

The staff is so attentive and remembered my favourite tea, where I liked to sit and we had the most lovely chats. On our final dinner, they even baked us a 'bon voyage' chocolate cake. Thank you so much Chef Preethi, Chef Khadir, Christopher, Lokesh and all the others whose name I should have noted down. We love to come back and see you again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.
We are grateful to you for your compliments and appreciation for our associates and facilities. Your generous praise will encourage all of us to excellence further. I am happy to share that the Jiva Spa will soon be launched adjacent to the Pool and will further enhance the relaxation experience at the Hotel.
I would like to recommend that you try our iconic South Indian specialty restaurant – Southern Spice –when you are in Chennai again, where we will be able to cater to all your dietary requirements.
Do let us know about your next visit – it would be our pleasure to customize a special experience at our Hotel or any other Taj property across the country.
Look forward to welcoming you back to the Taj Coromandel soon.