“Taj Hospitality - Special as always!”

Taj Coromandel Chennai
Ranked #4 of 437 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We happened to stay for 2 nights at Taj Coromandel last week. It was a pleasant stay and was most convenient owing to its location at the Nungambakkam High Road. The security arranangements were too much as some of the IPL teams were staying there. I guess, we spotted a few players, but couldn't recoginize any as we are not much into cricket.

We stayed in a luxury room. The room was a little small compared to the other Taj properties we have tried in the past. Could be because of its location. The bathroom was really spacious and the tub was quite spacious too. My son had a good time in the tub. The diwan setup by the bay window was good. For some reason, the mattress was not so comfortable unless you are at the middle of the bed.

We tried Nasi Goreng and Chicken Satay for a dinner. It was exquisite! The breakfast spread at Anise was really extensive and we particularly liked the museli and the danish. I mostly tried the south indian breakfast. The pongal was rich and the vada was soft too. They had this onion oothappam whih turned out to be a disaster. I was surpised they couldn't make a good onion oothappam in chennai. Both the days, there was a little excess of tamarind in the sambar and the chilli chutney was a little sweet. The green chutney was perfect. Their egg dosa needs a special mention. They have this cutting chai, which is an imitation of the nair shop tea :) It was no where close to the real cutting chain.. too creamy. The filter coffee was divine and was lingeing in the buds for quite sometime.

The kind of personal attention we got is worth mentioning. The way they understand your likes in the first day and offer everything based on your likes is amazing.

As always, the hospitality was wondrtful

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your detailed review.
Taj Coromandel has been the preferred place of stay by dignitaries, global leaders, corporate czars and influencers owing to its long-standing association with the city for close to four decades and its unmatched location.
I am happy to read that the service was in keeping with the signature Taj hospitality. Your feedback regarding some of the cuisine at Anise, our all day-diner, has been shared with the respective teams and will be addressed.
Looking forward to your continued patronage.

Director – Operations, Oriental Hotels Ltd &
General Manager, Taj Coromandel

Write a ReviewReviews (1,224)

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Whenever we go to chennai, the restaurants in this hotel is a must visit, especially the coffee shop which never fails to impress with its delicious food ,both western and indian.we however, had a rather disappointing experience at the golden dragon, where the ambience was lovely but,unfortunately the food did not match the steep prices of the dishes.we ordered crabmeat soup, a pork dish, fried rice and a chicken dish,for which we got pork with peanuts (we did mention my son was allergic),the chicken and pork had exotic flavours , but did not quite satisfy my eager for indo Chinese taste buds.i have eaten at this place, frequently, in the old days, with ginger chicken to die for and the best shark fin soup, batter fried prawns and tasty rice and noodle dishes.the food is beautifully cooked with the freshest ingredients, but like isaid earlier , too exotic for my taste.It would be nice to see some of the old faves back on the menu. I must also mention that the chef made a real boo,boo, when he smothered our crab soup with spring onions, whiched ruined this delicate soup beyond recognition.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Caroline,

Thank you for visiting us again and taking the time to share your feedback . I am happy that you have had several memorable meals with us at Taj Coromandel. However, I deeply regret that your recent experience at Golden Dragon did not meet your expectations. I have taken note of your feedback and will ensure that the team at Golden Dragon works towards providing you with better services on your next visit. It is our constant endeavour to provide excellent dining experience to our guests.

We hope you give us an opportunity to welcome you again.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Just back from a wonderful 2 day stay with my family, at the Taj Coromandel, located at our hometown, Chennai. Having stayed in multiple hotels within and outside India, the Taj hospitality is one thing that amazes me throughout. Recollecting an incident at the Coffee shop, where we ordered an Egg dosa and a Chicken sandwich for breakfast on Day 1. Our waiter who served us earlier, came by on Day 2 checking if we would like the same dish (also suggesting couple of other dosas that may be of interest to us). It was great to see how they pay attention to guest preferences. Throughout our stay, the Taj staff excelled in their hospitality and personalised attention and made sure we felt at home (considering the fact that their filter coffee and curd rice, both being the pride of chennai, were wonderfully authentic) :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking to time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to note that you had a comfortable stay and our services were up to you expectations.
Please do experience our iconic south Indian specialty restaurant – Southern Spice – on your next visit. The restaurant serves authentic cuisine from the four southern states in a grand ambience inspired by the palaces and temples of the famed southern dynasties.
Looking forward to welcoming you back at Taj Coromandel.

Director – Operations, Oriental Hotels Ltd &
General Manager, Taj Coromandel

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay in Taj. Was not too sure when I landed up. However, the personalised services..right from check-in to check-out was delightful. The restaurants were fantastic. Special kudos to the people running the bar Chipstead. Great music, great cocktails, warm reception. Well done boys!

• Stayed: April 2013
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Avijit,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Taj Coromandel. I am delighted to note that your experience was seamless and satisfactory.
Your compliments have been shared with the team at Chipstead – it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed the ambience, food and service at the bar.
Look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Its not about stay ,its all about the way they treated me..had gone there for an education fair by british council two months b4 probably..and before going to fair I planned to go to the coffee shop & bakery there regarding an enquiry and wanted to refresh myself @ restroom in lobby as restroom in convocation centre was out of water ..but the security didnt let me in and said u r only only allowed 2 enter the fair in convention centre not allowed to come here..I just got the feeling of ____..and when i entered the hotel for a seminar,I hav seen that everybody right from security to staff were keeping an eye on the students like we r gonna steal some thing from them..worst behaviour..do u respect only corporates not the students.. I am a regular customer @ many star hotels like connemara ,hyatt ,leela palace and dined there ..and no one disrespected me as im a student...British council has selected ur hotel coz of ur best service only ...but wt i can say is it is the worst five star hotel in the whole city coz of ur treatment..,,,know some respect first..learn it from connemara & trident...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank VickyArun
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Vicky,

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you at the Education Fair.
You will appreciate that as a responsible hospitality group, security is of importance and there are periods when high alert situations prevail. However, it was not our intention to cause a hindrance to you at the Hotel. We respect all our guests and are grateful for their patronage over the years.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

From the outside it looks like any other urban structure which could be housing modern offices, but the interiors make you rethink. The art deco theme is a visual treat from right from the entrance.The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms seemed bigger than the rooms! But the best is walking out to the beach at the rear of the hotel. Lazing around and vegging out all day was never so much fun. Would love to come back and finish a book out there.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the beach offered better views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights this April and was blown away. I ate at Southern Spice, Anise and Golden Dragon and all were terrific. The gym, pool and health club were all beautiful. The rooms were very well appointed with plush king beds, digital controls for the room and one of the best showers I've ever used (rain shower, hand shower and four wall jets). The best part was the service, which was the best I've ever experienced. Someone was always on hand to assist with whatever I needed. The ratio of employees to guests is very high and all are constantly asking if they can assist. Everything was outstanding and I will stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view. Much nicer view and cooler rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Mr Bhaskar,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to note that our renovated facilities were to your satisfaction. Your positive feedback about the service is deeply appreciated and has been communicated to all the members of our team.
Look forward to your continued visits and assure you of the best in service and hospitality.

Director of Operations – Oriental Hotels Ltd