“Impeccable Service!”

Taj Coromandel Chennai
Ranked #4 of 400 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Just back from a wonderful 2 day stay with my family, at the Taj Coromandel, located at our hometown, Chennai. Having stayed in multiple hotels within and outside India, the Taj hospitality is one thing that amazes me throughout. Recollecting an incident at the Coffee shop, where we ordered an Egg dosa and a Chicken sandwich for breakfast on Day 1. Our waiter who served us earlier, came by on Day 2 checking if we would like the same dish (also suggesting couple of other dosas that may be of interest to us). It was great to see how they pay attention to guest preferences. Throughout our stay, the Taj staff excelled in their hospitality and personalised attention and made sure we felt at home (considering the fact that their filter coffee and curd rice, both being the pride of chennai, were wonderfully authentic) :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking to time to share your review on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to note that you had a comfortable stay and our services were up to you expectations.
Please do experience our iconic south Indian specialty restaurant – Southern Spice – on your next visit. The restaurant serves authentic cuisine from the four southern states in a grand ambience inspired by the palaces and temples of the famed southern dynasties.
Looking forward to welcoming you back at Taj Coromandel.

Director – Operations, Oriental Hotels Ltd &
General Manager, Taj Coromandel

There are newer reviews for Taj Coromandel Chennai

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay in Taj. Was not too sure when I landed up. However, the personalised services..right from check-in to check-out was delightful. The restaurants were fantastic. Special kudos to the people running the bar Chipstead. Great music, great cocktails, warm reception. Well done boys!

• Stayed: April 2013
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Avijit,
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Taj Coromandel. I am delighted to note that your experience was seamless and satisfactory.
Your compliments have been shared with the team at Chipstead – it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed the ambience, food and service at the bar.
Look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Director Operations – Oriental Hotels Ltd &
General Manager – Taj Coromandel

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Its not about stay ,its all about the way they treated me..had gone there for an education fair by british council two months b4 probably..and before going to fair I planned to go to the coffee shop & bakery there regarding an enquiry and wanted to refresh myself @ restroom in lobby as restroom in convocation centre was out of water ..but the security didnt let me in and said u r only only allowed 2 enter the fair in convention centre not allowed to come here..I just got the feeling of ____..and when i entered the hotel for a seminar,I hav seen that everybody right from security to staff were keeping an eye on the students like we r gonna steal some thing from them..worst behaviour..do u respect only corporates not the students.. I am a regular customer @ many star hotels like connemara ,hyatt ,leela palace and dined there ..and no one disrespected me as im a student...British council has selected ur hotel coz of ur best service only ...but wt i can say is it is the worst five star hotel in the whole city coz of ur treatment..,,,know some respect first..learn it from connemara & trident...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank VickyArun
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Vicky,

I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused to you at the Education Fair.
You will appreciate that as a responsible hospitality group, security is of importance and there are periods when high alert situations prevail. However, it was not our intention to cause a hindrance to you at the Hotel. We respect all our guests and are grateful for their patronage over the years.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Director Operations – Oriental Hotels Ltd &
General Manager – Taj Coromandel

Reviewed April 22, 2013

From the outside it looks like any other urban structure which could be housing modern offices, but the interiors make you rethink. The art deco theme is a visual treat from right from the entrance.The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms seemed bigger than the rooms! But the best is walking out to the beach at the rear of the hotel. Lazing around and vegging out all day was never so much fun. Would love to come back and finish a book out there.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the beach offered better views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights this April and was blown away. I ate at Southern Spice, Anise and Golden Dragon and all were terrific. The gym, pool and health club were all beautiful. The rooms were very well appointed with plush king beds, digital controls for the room and one of the best showers I've ever used (rain shower, hand shower and four wall jets). The best part was the service, which was the best I've ever experienced. Someone was always on hand to assist with whatever I needed. The ratio of employees to guests is very high and all are constantly asking if they can assist. Everything was outstanding and I will stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view. Much nicer view and cooler rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Mr Bhaskar,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to note that our renovated facilities were to your satisfaction. Your positive feedback about the service is deeply appreciated and has been communicated to all the members of our team.
Look forward to your continued visits and assure you of the best in service and hospitality.

Director of Operations – Oriental Hotels Ltd
& General Manager

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Well any hotel can be judged by 3 things
1- Service- 8/10
2-Property- 7/10
3- location -10/10

Service of Taj is quite exciting and rooms are adequately spacious giving you a home feel with hotel installing 5.1 speakers in the rooms makes your stay more entertaining. Speakers are quite fine.

Staff is very supportive i met some good ppl at the butlers and its really good...

Room Tip: Rooms at 2nd floor and 6 floor are quite good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Prakash N, General Manager at Taj Coromandel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at Taj Coromandel.
We are indeed privileged to have a great location within close proximity to business, lifestyle and entertainment choices.
I am glad to note that the technological advances in our newly renovated Luxury Rooms have enhanced your in-room entertainment experience.
Thank you for your kind words about our associates who take pride in upholding the quintessential service that Taj is renowned for.
We look forward to welcoming back to our hotel.

Yours sincerely

Director Operations – Oriental Hotels Ltd
& General Manager

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at the Taj recently, i havepreviously stayed at the Taj at GW of India and Taj Vivanta Bangalore and man there is such a let down considering Taj Coromandel.

We were facing issues related to Air Conditioning for 2 out of 3 days we stayed.

We had a power outage in the early morning for about 60 minutes and had to call in thrice before someone responded and rectified the same.

The beds were clumsy , the pillows had an uneven shape.

I guess we were given the most messed up room.

Few of the people at the Guest Services were a tad obnoxious over the phone, got a feeling that hey you know what we are Taj.. you are staying in a cheap room buzz off !!!

Billing :- Firstly they created a bill with about 8k extra , On checkout they forgot to add service tax for the room and i get a call 35 minutes later that sir we forgot to add and we shall bill you, very unprofessional.

All in all i didnt get the feel of hospitality and warmth that people raved about this hotel

Good Points

Amazing Breakfast Spread
Amazing IN Room Dining Service and Food.
The in House Oriental food hotel was fantastic Five Thumbs Up!!!

I had my company paying for this and after the experience, next time in Chennai if i have to pay from my pocket or my company I wouldnt contemplate staying here.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NiketShah11

Dear Mr Niket Shah,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at Taj Coromandel. I am very disappointed to note the incidents which have caused an inconvenience to you during your stay at the Hotel. Due to unexpected technical breakdown, we were unable to address your concern regarding air-conditioning immediately. We have taken up your grievances with the respective teams and would like to assure you that your concerns will be certainly addressed. We assure you of improvement in all aspects for your future visits to our Hotel.

It is very kind of you to also highlight your positive experiences including breakfast at Anise – the all-day diner, in-room dining and service as well as your meal experience at Golden Dragon – the authentic Cantonese and Sichuan cuisine restaurant. We hope that you will be able to dine with us at the newly-renovated Southern Spice, the iconic south Indian cuisine restaurant, during your next visit to Chennai.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Taj Coromandel.

Kindest regards,