“Not as bad as others make out (IMHO)”

My Fortune, Chennai
Ranked #31 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Nagpur, India
“Not as bad as others make out (IMHO)”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was placed into this hotel by my company as a last minute arrangement. The reception at the front desk was maybe a little slow but then my reservation was not yet on their system so I think it understandable... I received two calls to my room apologising for the slow check-in (which really wasn't a problem to me as the guy was really friendly anyway).
The room (a suite) was well appointed and clean though I found the matress a little soft for my personal liking. Bathroom was clean and with "named" toilletries for shampoo, shower gel and lotion. There was a bath and a shower... though I am not sure how to start the shower without getting a blast of cold water (the shower door opens the wrong way to be able to slip your hand to open the water).
Food was of acceptable quality and the service friendly if a little slow and disjointed.. but this is not a cause for serious concern. Breakfast had the normal mix of fayre from western through Indian to Asian... take your pick.
The hotel is a long way from the best in Chennai but I was not displeased with the service or the cleanliness of the place...!
If I needed a room in the close vicinity to my office again I would not be against staying here again though I have an other favourite closer to the office in Chennai.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, January 7, 2014

Thank You for your review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !

Thank you for the detailed observations and valued suggestions

We look forward to welcoming you back to My Fortune Chennai for a more delightful experience.

Matthew Roby Uthup...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Note to TripAdvisor folks: We need more options for overall ratings. 1 is too much in some cases, for example, for this hotel.

It claims to be a 5 star! Going by the prices, well, yes, 5 star prices indeed. Quality is another story: Dingy rooms, electricity that keeps tripping, weird smell in the rooms. We ordered coffee in room, reached us barely lukewarm. Complained to the hotel, but no news. Swimming pool is dingy, with bad flooring that looks very unappealing. Entrance to some of the rooms, after the lift, seems like one is stepping into some service area. Food quality: very average!

Avoid it, don't let it be your "mis fortune"!

Room Tip: Stay here if you get a free stay
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, January 2, 2014

Thank You for your review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !

We also thank you for the detailed observations and valued suggestions and wish to assure you that appropriate measures have been taken.

Matthew Roby Uthup...
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Great Hotel. Stayed for 2 nights. Room was compact & clean, well maintained. Though food no choice same repetitive menu both lunch & dinner.Enjoyed the stay.Good for both luxury & Business, centrally located in the heart of the city.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, December 17, 2013

Thank You for your kind review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted the areas where
you we could not meet your expectations

Your review motivates us to try even harder to achieve a higher Guest satisfaction.

We look forward to welcoming you back to My Fortune Chennai for an even more delightful experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

When I came to Chennai on 24/11/2013 and checked in at Chola My fortune it was around 5.45 pm. They have provided a room which is full of dust and accessories broken in the wash room. I squawked to the people in the hotel as she was allergic for the dust.

They have changed the room which is so atrocious. The carpet in the second room is full of dust and the room is occupied with mosquitoes. After informing this to the hotel staffs, they brought a mosquito repellent machine to the room.

In this depraved situation I requested the staff to give a small room without carpet so that it will be at least clean. When I entered the third room i got annoyed and decided to stay in that room with no other options as i doesn’t have the strength to discuss the issues further. I would like to tell you that I have been travelling from Varanasi since morning and every customer wish would be to take rest in the hotel after the long travel. It took more than 4 hours for a guest to get settled in the 5 star hotel.????? I had been looked after very well by the Hotels in Katra as well as Varanasi. But in Chennai the Hotel staff doesn’t have a courteousness to call her once she has been settled. I received calls from both the previous hotels once been settled in the room. In brief my stay ened up in disaster.

I would not recommend this hotel to any one.

Room Tip: Please don't ever choose chola my fortune instead choose chola grand
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mala_Ponnusamy

Navi Mumbai, India
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My Fortune is a great hotel for business travellers. I stayed at the hotel for 1 night. The staff of the hotel is extremely courteous and helpful. Food is great. I was very impressed with the buffet spread. Rooms are pretty large. And all this at competitive rates.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, November 25, 2013

Thank You for your kind review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay, and found it an excellent value for money.

It is reviews like this which motivate us to try even harder to achieve even higher Guest satisfaction.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

If you are looking for a taste of the real India, look no further. I have stayed at this hotel many times and am always welcomed back generously. It is not new and could do with some facelifts but the staff, service and food are always excellent. It has a colonial charm missing in many of the newer builds. You get the feeling that people actually like working there as the same happy faces rarely change!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, November 24, 2013

Thank You for your kind review of your stay with us at My Fortune Chennai !
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. Your appreciative comments have been shared with the team.

Athens, Greece
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Great hotel overall and has an amazing restaurant with delicous indian cuisine and helpful & polite staff!

And the hotel staff was great also, helpful and very kind.

The only issue I had wass some missunderstanding re. the wi-fi which was later on clarified.

I would definitely recomend this hotel to others in Chennai and will definitely chose it again and again and again for whenever I visit !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Matthew_R_Uthup, General Manager at My Fortune, Chennai, responded to this review, November 17, 2013