“Maintaining the Pride of Sheraton CHola”

WelcomHotel Chennai
Ranked #42 of 403 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Well,I read about some of the poor reviews on this site about this hotel, when it changed from SHeraton CHola to My Fortune. I beg to differ from them though.

A hotel very nicely located with a nice shape in plan and elevation. Rooms are bigger compared to other hotels. Hotel staff behaviour really nice. It appears though that the hotel needs some kind of a face lift which may be done in "installments".

There are 3 restaurants.... alll are really great ones. The best thing I liked about the buffet breakfast & meals is that the hotel cares to prepare food which are not only hygienic but also cater to those who want low fat/cholestrol/salt meals. Kudos to restaurant manager for the same.

Room Tip: Select rooms on higher floor away from Cathedral Road
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed in this hotel when I visited Chennai for my wife's US VISA interview. At the time of check-in we were told that the room has been upgraded to club and it felt really nice. But once we visited our room, our perception changed. The room had a switch panel which was broken and the lamp shades had stains all over it. The room looked nothing more than a 2 star room. We immediately requested to change our room and this time they promptly changed it back to a room of standard class which was our original booking. The new room was of rectangular shape with decent looks. The floors were tiled and nothing like a 5 star hotel room which they claim it to be.

The pool is very small with depth of 3ft-5ft. It is suitable for a small family with 2 kids and parents and if more people enter it will be crowded. We were fortunate that no one else was using the pool that evening. We tried ordering soft drinks/mock tails but as per the policy of the hotel, you can't use anything of glass in or near the pool. So we had to drop our plan. Also, the water of the pool is salty and you can make out that it has not been treated.

We had lunch at the only restaurant which was functioning. We were told the other one is under renovation. The buffet lunch was only o.k. with decent choices but all of bland taste. We both are a bit biased towards Indian taste but isn't this home advantage all about :) Considering the cost of Rs. 3000 for two, it was surely not value for money.

We decided to have dinner in our room. We specifically asked for spicy Indian food and then we got some spice. The Aloo gobhi was the best part of our stay in this trip :) We seriously recommend people with Indian taste to order in room - as below average taste of the buffet may be too much to tolerate.

The lobby area was of medium size and looked nothing like a real 5 star which they claimed. I specifically asked them about the star rating of the hotel and they said it is 5 star. I only laughed. If I was a rating agent, I would not have not given anything more than 3 star.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank meetdestiny
My Fortune C, General Manager at WelcomHotel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Dear Sir,

At the outset, I would like to acknowledge receipt of your feedback and thank you for bringing these points to my notice. I am indeed distressed to know of your recent experience at My Fortune Chennai.

While I regret the inconvenience you have experienced, may I assure you that we have taken the corrective steps to address needs improvement points. I would additionally request you to treat this as an isolated incident and not a reflection of our normal services

At My Fortune Chennai, it is our constant endeavor to provide you with high standards of personalized service and efficiency.

Regards,

Ram Misra

Reviewed December 6, 2012

the property was earlier known as chola sheraton which was a 5 star chain and then later converted to My Fortune . except for the name change I didnt find any much changes in the Hotel . the rooms were still old and refurbishments have been done as was expected since " My Fortune " is supposed to be one level above the other fortune hotels .
one big disappointment in the rooms was absence of a sofa or a couch and table . I had to eat my dinner on the bed as that was the only option available other than the study tables .
rooms are poorly lit and is difficult to read in night . the outside facade of the property from my window was all dirty and poorly maintained .
room service did not had basic vegetable like mushroom which could be ordered for dinner and they called me in middle of night almost after 2 hours to check if my dinner was ok .
the hotel has only coffee shop for dining option .
breakfast was good and sumptuous
overall I expected more from them but disappointed

Room Tip: rooms on front side are more spacious , request for rooms near the lift else be prepared for long wa...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
My Fortune C, General Manager at WelcomHotel Chennai, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear guest,

We regret that we have fallen short of your expectations. Your feedback has been shared with our team and we will follow up on all the points including plans for the refurbishment on some of our rooms. Since this is by no means the standard that we aim for, and I do hope that you return to My Fortune Chennai and give us a chance to provide you our actual and recognized class service.

I would like to thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

I do look forward to your continued patronage and hope to meet you on your next visit.

Regards,

Ram Misra

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I still remember the first time I used this hotel and it was called the Chola Sheraton. It was the piece of pride for ITC Hotels back then. It looks like ITC has moved on but the property has hung back in time.

Small rooms. One time I stayed in a room which was obviously the ante room of a suite in its previous life.

The property has seen better days, plumbing is old, up-keep lacks the five star touch. But great pricing. Having said which, to stay in the heart of Chennai at the price they offer is otherwise impossible to find.

Restaurant is adequate. Breakfast is good. On occasions, other meals aren't too bad either. Bar is excellent

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, non smoking room looking over the Eastern horizon
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ash B
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Bring back Sheraton! This used to be a decent hotel but I'm afraid it's on a downward spiral with Fortune.

In the three weeks between reserving a room and check in, I received four emails asking for reconfirmation of my reservation. I stayed here in Oct 2012 for five nights. At the time of check in, I was asked to prepay for two nights and then on the third day, I was asked to prepay again for the remainder of my stay. This was an annoyance more than anything else, but clearly a better policy needs to be put in place for a hotel that claims to be 5-star.

The room was excellent. It had a living space and a bedroom. The bathroom was a bit dated, but nothing to complain about. As others have noted, the hotel's location is excellent.

To summarize, I really liked the room, but the service and hotel policies leave a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times and the rooms are much bigger than normal hotels . The staff are very helpful. When it changed from Sheraton to My Fortune I thought it would be poor but nothing has changed. The breakfast is nice and I found the AC a little on the cold side even when adjusted. I would reccomend this hotel to any traveller as it is a nice friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a high floor as the traffic noise is loud
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2012

For those who have stayed when this property was know by the name Chola I felt the service is the same but te hotel need a face life the toilet taps etc are old and are asking for replacement other wise well pance in terms of location and service and food I give it 9/10

• Stayed: June 2012