“ITC's My Fortune, Chennai”

My Fortune, Chennai
Ranked #31 of 395 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Bengaluru, India
“ITC's My Fortune, Chennai”
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We visited this hotel in May 2012. We booked the most expensive room called Club Exclusive. The room was good but I have major compliant about the maintenance and housekeeping of this place. First the TV remote was not working. Then AC wasn't that good. Flush in toilet not proper !! Yek. The AC panel broke down and also the lights were not working properly thru remote.
After charging us a very high rate, I felt the quality of maintenance is much to be desired.
Regarding house keeping. it used to take too long for getting the service. The Concierge staff was arrogant as we experienced for the person who came to fix our Safe locker. Even my young son felt that the guy was rude and even banged the door while going out. Maybe he was expecting a large tip or what we don't know.
Reception also was soso...During checking the receptionist remind us where to take the included dinner twice as also told us we will have to pay if we take it some where else in the hotel !!! Not needed. We know what we are doing. We feel it is not a very courteous hotel and felt not very good about the whole thing. Sorry for the negative list of issues!!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the road.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Nitin_blr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 5, 2012

i am a businessman - I had been to this hotel with my wife during republic day time, without any expectations. actually i hv transitted on my way from delhi to tirupati. i took up a suite room (oh boy! so economically priced for a huge room - i dont remember now, but it was less than 9K - ooh how can it be so less rate for a two bay room). i never expected that the hotel has so much to offer us. great ambiance, great people, great hospitality, great food, great service, great pool (small and simple), great room (laaaarge and excellent) - i am having work in bangalore this month end -but i decided to go via chennai, just for sake of this hotel. i am glad that i have work down south so frequently now

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bijendar S
kolkata
Reviewed April 18, 2012

its a small city hotel.only 2 restrurent.nothing too much to do.buffet food is testless. small pool,no spa.no live entertement.room rent is very high as per standerd.u will get more nice hotel less price.i will never back.

2 Thank sonic118
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I shifted here after a night in the Aloft and oh boy is the difference marked. This is a full service hotel, a good bar, good food and great rooms, especially on the 6th floor. Genuinely a pleasure and the sort of place that after a hard day at work where you find yourself just relaxing as you walk into the hotel. There are newer and posher hotels these days but the My Fortune (ex-ITC) has a great atmosphere in a traditional luxury way. Feels slightly 1990s in some of the fittings but that for me just added to the charm

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the sixth floor
3 Thank Seat62A
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Reviewed April 9, 2012

one of the best hotels, i stayed at chennai. from the time landing at the entrance of hotel, i got homely feeling till i left the hotel after three days of stay. i didn't feel that i was away from home.

Room Tip: once one stays, feels to stay again in the hotel. the stay give homely atmosphere, esp catering se...
3 Thank srinivas_12
dubai
Reviewed February 26, 2012

this is an excellent hotel if you are a business traveller, this hotel is small but very very peasfull. starting from the lobby to the rooms and restaurants i find it very suitable for me. I had a relaxed stay for three days. the evening special hours at the durrents bar was a treat, the staffs and well trained and smart. the front desk staffs are very helpful.

this is a ideal hotel i will surely come back again. i rate this unit 8 out of 10.
cheers

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank johnson m
Jacksonville
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This is simply not a 5 star hotel so be very cautious. It is at best 2 and one half stars in my humble opinion, and I am not one to complain. On the positive note the staff is for the most part pleasant and cordial, and helpful. However, as a visitor from another country I would not have expected to turn on the shower or sink and have brown water from an obvious lack of a water filtration system and old plumbing. This was intermittent but frightening. Further, don't expect routine warm water from the shower. Some days were cold, some were tepid, and some were warm. In other 5 star hotels, this would simply not be acceptable. There is mold in some of the hallways, and the bathrooms are old, outdated and there is visible signs of cracked tiles, and scratched bathtubs and signs of neglect. The bath rooms are in sore need of updating. Be cautious as the hotel will try to give you a room facing Cathedral road which is extremely noisy from constant honking of horns, even though they claim the glass has a sound barrier. I had to complain to the corporate office to get this resolved and my initial request for a quiet room was met with resistance and an offer to stay on the ground floor which was unacceptable. There were a few mosquitos in the shoppes but not in the room. The in room refrigerator.wet bar power stopped after a few days but the hotel was able to fix this. I can imagine this was a fine hotel in its hay day, when it was new and nice. However it has aged, been neglected and I found the initial reception to be luke warm at best. Nevertheless once the corporate office knew of my unhappiness every effort was made to ensure my experience at the hotel was pleasant. Don't' plan to use the business centre, as its computers are hooked up to a slow land line LAN and you will be unable to get any projects done. Bring your own computer, and one which can be hooked up to a land line, don't plan on WIFI and be prepared that they charge for internet and per speed that you desire. Choose the highest luxury broad band if you wish to get any projects accomplished. Don't bring a wireless device and expect it to work. Don't plan on using the hotel printers for the same reason as access to the web is simply to slow to even print boarding passes, etc from your airline carrier. I would stay again if I need to for business purposes however you simply cannot choose this hotel based on vacation needs and expect a true 5 star experience as you might if you are from Europe, Australia, the USA, etc. Even within India I am aware that true 5 star hotels such as the Radisson do exist however this was too far from my business location for staying. My colleague had the same problem with the hotel attempting to give a Cathedral Road room, and one on the ground floor. Go in well informed, don't expect too much and you will be fine. Think of it as a current two and one half star hotel and you will be OK. The positives, no rodents, bugs, there are quiet rooms available, and the security is excellent. I cannot comment on the food as I did not utilize the hotel restaurant. The lobby is lovely and some 70% of the staff were particularly personable, the others less so, but at least average. If you are not understood, be prepared for blank stares, hesitation, and call backs. Be sure to be in touch with the corporate office if you are unhappy which can be located on google.com. I wish I could say I had a uniform positive experience but this would simply not be correct. Still, from a service point of view, the majority of the staff were friendly and helpful so depending on your degree of tolerance you may be alright.

Room Tip: Only request a room on a higher floor away from Cathedral road. Avoid the business centre.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business