“Hotel got better through the stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Park Chennai

and 1 more site!
The Park Chennai
Ranked #53 of 386 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Milano, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2007

This was the cheapest 4/5 star when I visited Chennai, but it really was a great place to stay! It is an art hotel, and everything is simply different from your normal luxury hotel experience! There are huge beautiful wooden doors at the entrance, instead of the normal automatic or revolving doors. The lobby is very nice, very modern. In the evening large pcitures are beamed on a wall, just magnificent. The rooms are superclean, 100% complete, very nice bathrooms as well. The rooftop terrace with restaurant and lounge seats is just marvelous; I felt sorry for being alone there! Too bad I can't give more than 5 stars, it's a great price/qaulity!

• Liked — it's something completely different, but still 100% luxury
  • Disliked — it's a bit of a drive from the airport (about 1 hour)
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

I had a very short stay here and never got time to see the pool and spa areas which was a shame.

Staff are great, lovely shop in the lobby. Great buffet breakfast. Room was tiny and the bathroom was a bit shabby. The bedroom walls were very dirty and it really needs re-painting. As does the bathroom need re-grouting. The marble in the bathrooms was unattractive, looked like a Damien Hirst work of art - dead fles stuck in stone :) And the view was of a derelict building site. However, the rooms are tasteful albeit small and the lobby and bar were fab.

When the rooms got re-painted this will be an excellent hotel. I had the best cocktails in Chennai here. They have experienced, hospitality trained staff here.

• Liked — The Bar
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Take time to enjoy the pool
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2007

I have just spent one night in an Executive Floor room at The Park, Chennai. They have some super advantages to staying at this property in an executive room - such as complimentary airport transfers and some nice food and beverage options (breakfast and evening cocktails). The rooms themselves are not large, but very comfortable, and well designed. Flat panel televisions, comfortable beds, good work stations and a small sofa. Shame the view was across to a derelict building. Bathrooms were small, and I would have preferred a walk-in shower to a shower in a bathtub, but at least I had a choice of regular shower or rain shower! The hotel has a great rooftop pool, and a nice spa (I had two treatments that were okay - not the best I've ever had). Evening cocktails in the lounge came with both hot and cold canapes, which was a nice touch. We dined in the 24-hour coffee shop, and feasted on their very substantial buffet. We ordered two glasses of wine each, and nearly had heart failure when the bill arrived and they amounted to $60 USD - for very mediocre wine! Apparently imported wine is subject to a 73% tax! But no mention was made of this by our server, and it actually rather soured our overall stay in this property. We paid less for far better wine at the Mandarin Oriental in Tokyo! Breakfast was a wonderful affair in the restaurant above the Club lounge - shame we had to dash for a flight as I would have loved to linger for a while over such a delectable offering and Illy coffee - yum! All in all, a comfortable stay, marred only by the stiff wine bill.

• Liked — Slightly funky, good buzz - interesting place to stay
  • Disliked — being stiffed for mediocre imported wine
  • Tips/Secrets — Do give any of this chain's hotels a try - they are doing some nice things for guests!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Orlando
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2006

I stayed at the Park in Chennai for 3 days in November. I looked at the hotel online and read reviews on Trip advisor and booked based on that. The hotel looked as it did in the pictures, but the pictures do not convey how run down the property is. Entering the lobby you smell an odd mix of moldy sheets and disinfectant. The rooms, though modern, are dirty, the sofa and rugs are nasty with stains. The worst is that the room was wet, clammy. I complained to management and was moved to another room, same story. Mildew and peeling paint in the bathroom and wet, clammy bed sheets. In the first room I actually had a large water stain on the wall and water running down the wall. The second room had water stains on the floors and ceilings. I was shown a 3rd room, same story. I had to stay because no other decent hotel in chennai was available. I was sick after one night in the hotel. The staff was nice, but the rooms are simply not acceptable.

• Liked — Modern design, lobby bar
  • Disliked — clammy wet rooms and sheets
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank newtome

Travelers are raving about these Chennai (Madras) hotels

Coimbatore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2006

Hello people

I am from India and m here to give some advice to travellers, especially to people comin frm other countries. Lemme tell u one thing. i travel to Chennai often on business and i ve stayed at many hotels but my favourite as of now is the new PARK hotel in Chennai. The hotel has a very nice contemporary look and will offer facilities that other hotels wont. Dont trust other reviews. This hotel has the best swimming pool in Chennai and the food is absolutely amazing. The hotel even has its own bar (Leather bar) and club (Pasha) which are the best in Chennai according to me coz the crowd here is very decent. And trust me when i tell u that for this price this hotel is really nice. I would pay double the price for this. Hope u love ur stay. Cheers. Mahesh

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2006

I know of what I speak - I am still staying at The Park, but only because I am here for just a week and moving is too much hassle.
A 5 star hotel with 7 star prices - but I booked it anyway on the strength of, amongst other things, Trip Advisor reviews. I also checked the hotel's own website and other articles written about the hotel - it is time your knew the truth.
Yes, the staff are very nice and on the whole very helpful.
Gripes - where do I start ?
I booked a room on the Residence Floor - at their so-called Executive rate - more than a suite - which promised, amongst other things, limousine transfers, en-route check in from limousine, complimentary bar and refreshments in residence lounge, DVD rental, well stocked library of books, board games....I even e-mailed in advance to advise of arrival and was assured all was at hand.
(1) I arrived in Chennai in the early morning hopefully looking for the placard with my name on it. None was seen. I eventually asked someone who promised to find the said man with my placard. A man arrived, with no "The Park" uniform, no placard. I was too tired to care, but in retrospect it could have been anyone and could have taken me anywhere and I should not have got in. Luckily he was legit. Needless to say there was no en-route check-in and I was left to queue behind 2 people at the reception desk - 15 minutes more delay - got to my room by 2.30 am. The Perrier water I'd asked for was not in the room, no explanation. The room was tiny, by the 5 star standards not even a 4 star size. It smelt - worryingly, it was hot despite air-conditioning. I wondered if I had stepped on something making my way to the car.. I finally slept at 4.30 am ... and then the lavatory flushed all night..
(2) On day 2 my daughter and I decided to spend the day at the hotel. The pool and staff were lovely - and the lunch cannot be faulted. Similarly the breakfast at the residence lounge. The spa too looks very new and luxurious. But trouble started when she got bored and decided to ask for a DVD from the library (as so advertised and there is a DVD player in the rooms). The 1st 2 calls yielded confusion. The next call was my daughter asking for a board game instead, as advertised in the hotel brochure, on line and on paper. Confusion again. Eventually we made our way to the helpful residence floor staff on the 8th floor who said he would call and confirm this. Same female who answered the phone the last 2 times then rang back. "No, we don't do these, there are none". We offfered to show her the brochure, we made our way to the 7th floor and duly did. She said "The DVDs are all taken by other hotel guests (seeing as she did not know what they were and then said there were none this was somewhat surprising) and there are no board games". Why are there no board games ? "We had them and other people have taken them and they have disappeared". We gave up and went to the Residence lounge and were there at 6.30 - free cocktails and snacks - an invitation in my room - The television controls did not work, a man kindly told us after a while the television controls were in a separate room and controlled them for us, no drinks or snacks were offered us (although we did see snacks laid out no effort was made by the 3 staff at the front desk of the 7th floor to offer us any), and then someone came and pointedly double-locked the room where the controls for the television were !
I have now written a letter to the management and await a substantial reduction or waiver of my bill. To think I passed on the Taj Connemara for this !! DON'T GO. A 4 star hotel my daughter is staying in was inspected by me yesterday and was 100 times better by comparison. Oh dear.

• Stayed January 2006