“Not worth it”

Le Royal Meridien Chennai
Ranked #25 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
New Delhi, India
“Not worth it”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Too expensive and poor service. Nice infrastructure but staff dont know how to use it to make a guest happy. Airport pick up never happened.....checkin was laborious and overall a disappointing experience for the INR 10,000 they charged....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank ttravel23
PriyaJagan123, Front Office Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for choosing Le Royal Méridien during your trip to Chennai and also for sharing your stay experience on TripAdvisor.

It is disappointing to learn that the standard of our service fell below your expectations and you were unable to make most of our facilities. We have noted your feedback with an utmost priority and will investigate into the issues with the check-in as well as airport pick up. Our associates endeavor to offer the SPG benchmark hospitality and we would ensure that all our guests enjoy a fulfilling and enriching stay at our property.

We hope that this one off event will not deter the favorable opinion about our hotels and it would be a pleasure to have another opportunity to be your host in Chennai.

Best Regards
Priya Jagan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Deutschland
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Service and staff OK. But rooms and hotel as a whole not as well groomed as usual for a hotel of this standing. Very expensive prices at the bar (One GLAS Brunello at 50 USD). Claim at the reception brought me a 20% discount but no excuse so far... Personal at the reception working professional but not very friendly. Impossible to speak to them without having them talking over the phone with other guests since they apparently do all by their own (2-3 people only for the whole hotel). I tried the Seafood restaurant at the top floor. Nice location but much too expensive for a too regular quality. The fitness room could need a bit newer and better serviced equipment (a few of them damaged and not repaired. Generally speaking: Nice building with good facilities. Could be much better than this.

Room Tip: Book room with view to inner garden. Others with street views much too noisy.
2 Thank Patrick B
Dear Patrick,

Thank you for staying at Le Royal Méridien during your recent business trip to Chennai and also for sharing this review on TripAdvisor.

We regret that your experience at our property was less than perfect and we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion. We are grateful for your feedback as it will help us pay attention to grey areas in our service and allow us to make amendments wherever possible. Although this time we could not live upto the reputation and standard that we endeavor to achieve, we still are hopeful that there would be another chance to welcome you in Chennai.

Once again, thank you for this review on TripAdvisor and we wish you well in your future travels.

Best Regards
Priya Jagan
Turku, Finland
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Arrived in the middle of the night, hotel's driver picked me up and scared me by driving through a construction site. There was some work going on, and we were given instructions to go back. I have no idea how we ended up into the hotels front door in the end!
Check-in was smooth, and I was taken to room 2006 and told about breakfast and internet connection. I have to say that paying for the internet is strange during these days, but as I was on business, I had to. I was pleased with the connection; it worked well for the most of the time, so I got my work done and even could skype my family in the evening.
Lobby is spacious and nice. there was a live pianist during the evening. However, there were also lot of small insects, mosqitos biting my ankles while I was sipping my drink. Lobby bar had slow but eventually also frienldy service.
Breakfast buffee is wide, but I mainly ate fruits because fresh fruits are luxury thing for me. I missed plain youghurt, there was only sweet sugar brand. Two cooks were preparing omelets if you had the time to wait - I tried the first morning but decided not to do it again, as it took ages to prepare. Coffee was strong and hot, and after the first mornings slow service, rest of the week I had no problem getting my cup filled in.
I only managed to go to the swimming pool area once, there was plenty of loungers, and only few people were actually swimming. I did not try the gym, just looked in.
There were a couple of my colleagues at the hotel as well, so we ate together at one of the restaurants during the week. Indian kebabs and curries were good, but the atmosphere was too formal with golden plates and cups! Food in the main buffet was ok, nothing special.
Checkout was as smooth as check in. Only remark that I had to point out was that somebody (from housekeeping?) had eaten my bisquits which I had brought with me from home as an evening snack. I found empty papers put behind the large flat tv. I would not have taken an open package anyways with me back home, but still it was not okay. I mentioned to the front desk and they apologized.
About the room; I liked the king size bed I had for myself, but I think some people might find it to be too hard. For my back it was just perfect. Bathroom had both shower and a tub, enough pressure and hot water. As amenities there were a toothbrush, comb, cotton puds, showercap, shampoo, showergel, 2 soaps and bodylotion. Whatever I had used, got promptly replaced the next day. Morning paper was delivered to my door almost every morning. View from my window was to the back street, so nothing pretty, but then again - I mostly either worked or slept while being in my room (2006).

Having been in India only in Chenai and only in 2 other hotels, I can compare Meridien only to them. I would say that Raintree is better, more modern, but still I had pleasant stay at Meridien and could easily return when I am again in Chennai. Trafic-wise I was told that this is better in location to airport and to our company, so I most probably will return.
One more thing; front doorman had great mustache! He easily remembered my room and my company name after first morning and was always courteous and eager to serve. Other than the airport pickup and drop off, I only used company cars, which he called to the front door. So I cannot comment about somebody's complaint about not being able to use normal taxis.ö

1 Thank Mari6
Dear Mari,

Thank you for your stay at Le Royal Méridien Chennai, and also for taking time out for your amazing review.

We are glad to know that your overall stay at our property was a positive and comfortable experience. It couldn’t make us happier to know that your enjoyed the complimentary amenities such as wi-fi and breakfast spread, swimming pool, and also that our service proved to be efficient during the check-in and check-out. As a renowned Starwood brand, attention to detail characterizes our service standard and it is heartening to see the acknowledgement of our efforts.

All the points in your review have been noted with seriousness and we will pay more attention to areas of improvement and offer our valued guests an even more enriching stay experience.

Thanks and Regards
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed February 4, 2013

With the boasting look and location, i have expected a class leading service and rooms but what i found was a mediocre service compared to Taj and similar star hotels. The rooms are good but the service and maintenance can be better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Qroam
PriyaJagan123, Front Office Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Le Royal Méridien Chennai during your trip to Chennai and also for sharing your stay experience.

It is disappointing for us to learn that we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion. At the same time we are relieved that you felt comfortable in your accommodation and hopefully enjoyed the amenities as well. We endeavor to offer the best hospitality to our guests and will keep making efforts to enrich their experience.

Once again, thank you sharing your feedback and we look forward to be welcome you to Chennai in future.

New Delhi
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel I am sure has had it's grand days.

It is a descent hotel. Very spacious. Rooms are large and well stocked for tea coffee and the toilet.
The staff is gracious and courteous.

The breakfast spread is lavish. It has a reasonable gym and massage facilities.

Then what's the problem? This is supposed to be a 5 star hotel. Here it does not measure up. Looks a little dated.

But I would stay here again

2 Thank Mohitoswal
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and also for sharing your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your experience at Le Royal Méridien Chennai and we were able to exceed your expectations. We would like to share with you that we are in a process of undergoing renovation and will soon don a new refreshed look that will complement our grand past.

It is great to learn that you enjoyed the product, accommodation, amenities as well as food and beverage service at our property and would love to have you with us once again.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I had attended a business conference for two days here very recently. Very nice hotel with exquisite buffet & very nice cocktails. Excellent value for money. Very good choice for international travelers since its proximity to the Chennai Airport.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PriyaJagan123, Front Office Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Raghavan,

We at "Le Royal Meridien Chennai" truly value your positive feedback posted on Trip Advisor .
We are glad to read about the positive aspects regarding your stay, including the buffet spread at Cilantro restaurant , choice of cocktails at our food and beverage venues and the location.

We look forward to the next opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel on your future visits to Chennai.

Thanks and Regards
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 30, 2013

After reading quite a few negative reviews on trip advisor,(after i had made the bookings) i was pleasantly surprised to see that the rooms and toilets were clean and the overall experience was good. Even the buffet laid out for the breakfast had a lot of variety. Although the room service was a bit slow, i would recommend this hotel if you are in chennai for a day or two on business.

Room Tip: Do not take the rooms on the third floor with windows facing inside the hotel cause the only view yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Le Meridien Chennai and for sharing your experiences.

We are glad to read that your overall experience was good and you have enjoyed the breakfast provided at Cilantro . Pertaining to your in room dining experience, please accept our sincere apologies and we have shared your feedback with the team .

We look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.