“Average hotel, unresponsive staff”

Le Royal Meridien Chennai
Ranked #25 of 397 Hotels in Chennai (Madras)
Bangalore
“Average hotel, unresponsive staff”
Reviewed September 25, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel couple of times and believe me its a average hotel with very lazy attitude staff. Hotel is pretty old and the rooms are very old fashioned though nicely maintained. The rooms are not very big but still decently sized. Beds are somewhat comfortable but the AC is too noisy even at lowest fan speed.

I just didn't like the attitude of the staff (or maybe just had a bad experience) I had asked for a BB charger as I forgot to bring and the person told me that he will get back to me after checking. I waited for 15mins and called up again and I was told that someone will send ASAP. After again waiting for 30mins I called again and they said, we've sent it and will check and get back. I never received a call back or the charger..My only issue is if they don't have something, could have informed at first place. Keeping someone waiting and then not responding is what I can't appreciate.

Breakfast served is pretty good and the restaurant food in general is very good. I liked the punjabi pizza and ordered it twice during my stay :)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
lisbonladyChennai, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
Dear Mr. Travelfreakk,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I was indeed sorry to learn of your disappointment with certain aspects of your stay in particular in regards to the general ambience, the noisy air-conditioning and the fact that obviously there was an issue with staff attitudes. Certainly, I feel that you did not receive the service and standards expected of a 5 star hotel and I would like to apologize for this lack of customer care and service.

I have noted all the issues you have raised. No doubt you appreciate that all comments are taken very seriously and corrective measure put in place. The air-conditioning has meanwhile been repaired and I am happy to advise that we shall be conducting a refurbishment of all guest rooms as well as public areas next year.

In regards to the experience with the BB charger I can only advise that this was a result of a communication breakdown between the various departments; to correct this situation we have re-implemented additional training on our Federal Computer System (FCS) which is a system that registers guests requests and allows us to action within a certain time limit, as well as communication generally.

While I appreciate that my acknowledgement of your experiences cannot alleviate the frustrations you endured, I would welcome the opportunity to redeem your opinion of the hotel and hope you give us another opportunity so that we may show you that we can, indeed do better.

Jennifer Buhr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Thane, India
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I have been a regular at this hotel for almost a year now. Ofcourse one compelling reason to stay here is because I am a Gold Card member of SPG (starwoods hotels group, preferred guest). There are other hotels like the Aloft which is a part of this alliance in Chennai but the biggest advantage i get at Le Royal Meridian is that its closest to the airport and the place where most of my clients are situated.

The hotel itself is quite old but its well maintained. You can see the age of the hotel at times in the carpets within the room and the hallway, but its not very bad. Even the room decorations and styling looks quite old, but maintained well. The rooms do give a cosy feeling.

The staff at the hotel is quite courteous (i experienced this even before i became the spg gold card holder), check-in, check-out formalities are quite fast.

My biggest concern is always with their restaurants.! Navratna, which serves Indian cuisine is quite good, but the bar The Dome and Cilantro (where the buffet breakfast is also served) are not up to the mark. The service at both the places is quite slow and you don't get the feeling that you are in a 5 star hotel and then it starts making no sense paying the prices they ask, let alone tips.! Another big problem is with the city itself, liquor serving closes at 11 pm...!!! C'mon people, this is a business hotel and most guests would want to un-wind over a couple of drinks after a hard day's work. But no sir...we can't let you do that because the police here want to go home early, so before leaving they will make sure every country liquor bar to a 5 star closes before that...! There are many options like Taj Vivanta and other star hotels offering better food and service in and around Chennai.

Again for stay I would still prefer this hotel- quite close to the airport, close to the main city and not too far from Industrial areas like Ambattur.

Room Tip: Ask them for outside facing rooms (not the ones facing the lobby) and preferably the ones with a bal...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank NRShastri
lisbonladyChennai, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear Mr. Nrshastri,

Thank you for staying with us in September 2011 and for your review. Guest reaction to our product and service is critical to us as it is only through such constructive feedback that continuous improvements are made to meet and exceed the expectations of our guests.

I have taken note of your comments and am happy to advise that we shall be conducting a refurbishment of all public areas and guest rooms next year.

Changes are also happening in our Food and Beverage Outlets; we have up-graded our Jean George Signature breakfast and are now in the process of changing the variety of the buffet in our Cilantro Restaurant in addition to introducing monthly festivals, the first being Willi's Wok which is a grand success. Navaratna, our Indian Restaurant has, in addition to the ethnic instrumental music during the week, classical dance to compliment your food on weekends and for the fish lovers our Kayle is the place to dine. Slow service is being addressed with intensive on the job training; I am sure that during your next visit you will experience the difference.

The rules in regards to the serving of liquor after 23h00 are very stringent and non compliance could cost the hotel the loss of the license, however we do understand your frustration and are in the process of making inquiries regarding possible other solutions.

I will make a point of meeting you personally during your next visit to our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back.

Sincerely
Rotterdam
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Staying in the hotel for 2 days coming from the Westin in Gurgaon. Booked an executive room.....very ran down for the price I paid. Welcoming was okay but room smells like there was smoked in there. The restaurant is a chaos and I had dinner at 2200 and I wondered how long he food was in the bins.....
Hotel need urgently to be upgraded. Will not stay here again for is price. Price is the same as at the Meridien in Delhi but that hotel is great and also the restaurant.....

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
lisbonladyChennai, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Chennai, responded to this review, September 21, 2011
Dear Mr. Dutchray,

I thank you for giving me the opportunity to gain feedback about your stay at the Le Royal Meridien, Chennai.

I regret to hear that your experiences with us were not satisfactory and you felt that the value was not worth the price paid.

I really aplogize for the lack of attention attributed to you when allocating your room as we do have non smoking rooms available which should have been offered upon your arrival. The fact that the room smelt of smoke and looked tired is unnaceptable, especially as we have a scheduled and routine repair and maintenance program which addresses each room at least once a year. Obviously this room was neglected and the organizational flaws that allowed this situation to occur have meanwhile been identified and operations and systems rectified and streamlined.

I have discussed in detail the problems experienced with our food and the fact that the food did not look apetizing and took too long to serve with our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Manager and have no adequate excuse to offer for this lapse on detail and customer care other than lack of communication between the Restaurant and Kitchen associates. To correct the situation we have re-implemented trainings on communication, customer care and cross-exposure.

Please do accept my sincere apologies for these shortfalls. Although you have indicated that you will not return to our hotel, I am hoping that you will give us another opportunity to prove to you that your experience is not the usual high standard of service I know we can provide.

Sincerely
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Stayed in March 2011, Near to the airport, Comfortable rooms, Had booked online, The room was not reserved, Since they allot rooms only after 12 pm, They were kind enough to accomadate me, Pretty good for a comfortable stay.,

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dear Coolbear,

Many thanks for sharing your comments in regards to your experience with us at the Le Royal Meridien Hotel, Chennai.

Certainly, it is our goal to provide a friendly and efficient service and make your sojourn with us your home away from home.

It is not only very gratifying but also motivating to receive such positive comments for my associates and as a result I have posted them on our notice board.

Once again, many thanks and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel very soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2011

An excellent, well maintained hotel suit for family and friends to stay. Stayed at this hotel with my son on July 18, 2011 for a day and our experience was wonderful. My son loved the swimming pool and the surroundings including the weather. Breakfact was excellent with lot of options. Room was spacious and very comfortable and also close to the international airport at Chennai. Great place.

Room Tip: Ask for a family room which is really worth.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear Basavesh,

I was delighted to read your comments on TripAdvisor about your experience with us during your recent stay.

It is indeed rewarding to receive guest like yourself who take the time to convey their thanks and observations to us. Such comments certainly help us motivate our associates, maintain and improve our service, and moreover and more important, assist us to provide a more personal service.

I have copied all associates concerned and thank you once again for your kind comments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Le Royal Meridien Chennai.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Very conveniently located from the Chennai airport, this hotel though well maintained looks a touch old. The overall feel of the hotel is like how hotels used to be a decade back. The hotel kind of gives a little bit of a traditional feel. Service was good and the Indian restaurant in the hotel serves some licp smacking north indian cusines

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Tortter,

Many thanks for your comments on TripAdvisor regarding your experience with us.
Guest reaction to our product and service is important to us as it is only through accurate reporting of experiences and observations that we can consistently up-grade our services and deliver excellence.

I was happy to learn that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and really appreciated your comments about the Navaratna restaurant serving "lip smacking" north Indian dishes; these comments have been shared with the team and as you can imagine they are delighted!

In regards to the hotel looking a touch old I am happy to advise that we shall be conducting a refurbishment which will include the up-grading of all areas and will incorporate Le Meridiens core values of Chic, Discovery and Culture.

I look forward to welcoming you back and thank you again for your comments.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 1, 2011

It's not well located but it was closer to my office, very convenient for me. The hotel has everything you need, driver, amazing breakfast for all tastes (the only thing I didn't like during the breakfast was the coffee/milk is served by the waitress that takes very long time to have it), three restaurants (indian-asiatic buffet, fish & sea food, and western india ), pub and a cafeteria. All of them with great taste and quality.
Rooms are very comfortable and staff very pleasant.
Take care with the chauffeurs when you ask them to bring you to "real" Chennai shops. Some of them will bring you to what is convenient to him (pure touristic shops, for example).
Gym is very good and they have a jacuzzi as well. Also they have a swimming pool (that I didn't have time to enjoy).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business