Ambica Empire
The Leela Palace Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$209
$129
Hotels.com
  • Pool
$69
$65
Park Hyatt Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$92
$89
$69
$61
Taj Club House(Chennai (Madras))
$66
The Park Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$63
$60
Agoda.com
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels(Chennai (Madras))
$71
$52
Agoda.com
Savera Hotel(Chennai (Madras))
$63
$60
Taj Coromandel Chennai(Chennai (Madras))
$140
$173
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewshighly recommended hotelvalue for moneybuffet lunchbusiness tourbus standfood tastefood quality is goodwifi speedan average hotelawesome hotelenjoyed my staysouth indian foodprime locationbiryanicomfortable stayvisit chennaifront office
Reviewed December 10, 2011

This hotel was chosen by our travel agent and my wife and I stayed here for 5 days and found this hotel be excellent. This hotel has a Victorian finish to the interior. I must admit it is tucked away from the big mall of Chennai. The staff was very friendly and they even included us in their firework display. I think that was a good gesture on their part. The restaurant staff was friendly and excellent especially Shiva. Had very good spread on the buffet but we were restricted because we eat Jain Food. However the staff went out of their way to accommodate our menu requirements. OK hotel if you go there with an open mind. I will recommend to friends & relatives.

Chris Chetty – Durban South Africa.

Room Tip: 4th floor Hertige Rooms
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris C
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Disclaimer: I couldn't say too much about this stay because we were very kindly put up in it by a friend's family for a wedding. If I was paying, I would have been MUCH more vocal.

The WORST thing that happened- we would lose hot water a few times. But not only that, the water coming out was BROWN and had sandy dirt and what looked like feces (It would gather in the tub). Quite unbelievable- I flipped out and called the maintenance guys. The hot water came back after 15 minutes or so and it cleared up but STILL- I had to get ready for a wedding so I had to take a shower but I was never so grossed out in my life!

The WEIRDEST thing that happened to me was one of the staff asking me to fill out a questionnaire about my stay as we were checking out. OK that's fine- but she literally looked over my shoulder the entire time as I was writing and was pointing and asking questions. That made me feel quite uncomfortable.

Laundry: super cheap and quick. But be sure to remove the newspaper or it will stain!
Location: This place is NOT in proper Chennai so you are quite far from the sites
Staff: Maybe it's because of the location that they don't get a a lot of business travelers, but the level of english ability was not sufficient. We had some MAJOR communication issues.
Room service: We tried to get it one time and the line just rang and rang. I called the front desk and they said they would have someone call us. They never did.
Breakfast: Definitely the highlight of the stay. Lots of options, a nice dining hall, good service.
Coffee shop: Don't be in a rush to order, get your order or pay- it was all painfully slow.
Bar/club: Closes at 11 and they give you a ridiculous amount of free snacks (4 full plates?). Nice to be able to get a drink...
Service: Everything was "no problem" but was seemingly always a problem. We were asked to go sit on the couch a few times but they then seemed to forget about us.
Rooms: Decent sized....beds were clean but the rug, couch, curtains and bathroom were very stained and dirty. Really quite gross- the dirtiest place I have ever stayed in. The shower tiles were pink moldy and you did NOT want to look behind the sink faucet. Plus they put us in a SMOKING room- just terrible.
Elevators: Extremely slow- for some reason once you FINALLY got in one, it would randomly stop at floors where no one was waiting, delaying you even more.
Cleaning service: THIS was the other only good thing about my stay. I had a super nice cleaning lady that graciously and meticulously helped dress me in my Sari 3x. I wish I could have taken her home with me...

I will say that I don't think all of the other rooms were as bad as ours because I was able to peek into one and it was MUCH better. I don't know how much our hosts paid for our room but it was way too much. :(

Room Tip: Don't get a smoking room and be sure to get an updated room
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank megmcnutz
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We (myself, husband and his parents) stayed for one night only in the Heritage Double Room, and to be frank I've had better hotels at the same price. Here's why:

(1) Rooms: AC Temperature was set at 18 Degrees, which could not be adjusted. Either switch off the AC or bear the cold. We slept like eskimos in an igloo all night!

(2) The corridors as well as the rooms smelt like cigarette smoke! It was everywhere, although it was a non smoking hotel. Very weird. That smell was like have a cigarette flavored air freshener. Not a good feeling.

(3) Room Service: Bad. We ordered some sandwiches which didn't turn up after 30 minutes. On calling the room service, we realized they had forgotten the order! when we called them to cancel the order they immediately sent it up to the room, which we promptly returned.

(4) Breakfast was very average.

Tolerable only for one night.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Preeti A
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed recently in Hotel Ambica for two days. Reception staff was quite friendly and hotel look was excellent and we really got feeling of coming to 5 star hotel although hotel is 3 star. After checking into heritage room, we relaxed ourself and after some time we started getting stingy smell in room. I believe this was coming from AC, then i called room service staff and room was quickly spreayed with room freshner. Since we had checked in early morning, so to get light in room, we removed curtons of the windows and the view outside of window was pathetic. There was bachelors building opposite to window and it was very shabby which distrubed our mind lot. So we closed curtons and have to stay in the dark bcoz room do not have sufficient lights and it feels like very dark.

TV also had some problem that suddenly it will only show channel to the one which you are watching and don't move to next channel and TV remote goes to block mode. You need to get up and touch to TV fixed buttons to get the remote block removed.

Other wise room service, hotel look, hotel staffs, hotel complimentry break fast every thing was beyond our expectations.

The location of hotel is just 2km away from Main bus stand but to reach hotel it will take more than 30 mins due to flyover construction work on the road.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dineshpawar01
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I booked through a website for 2 nights. I liked the looks of it. I was not disappointed by the room. It was fine. The food at breakfast was good. The room service was nice and prompt. The complimentries were also fine. There is a Metro rail construction on the road and sometimes the traffic is awful, but once you are in the hotel you can freshen up. I was happy and hence decided to extend the stay.

I had two issues at the hotel though -
1] I went for breakfast and asked for a dosa. At least 7 foriegners got served before me and I just waited to be served! I felt disgusted and left without eating. Aparthied!!

2] I wanted to stay for 1 more night. I checked with the reception and I somehow do not remember the name of the person (starts with SH..). He was very terse in telling me that there are no rooms available and if I wish to continue I have to pay 7000/- for a business class room. Obvioulsy I was in no mood to pay that kind of money. I casually checked the same website from the room - I got a price of Rs. 3,600/-. I rechecked with the reception and got a feeling that they perhaps do not like people coming thru website booking.

I did not stay there and shifted to another hotel. For the 2 incidents above I do not think I will ever go there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business