“Must visit for an authentic Japanese experience at a relatively affordable price”
Review of Momoyama

Momoyama
Ranked #640 of 7,123 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 17, 2016

The place is beautifully built with typical Japanese style cubicle layout. There's also a curious looking 'doorbell button' on the cubicle wall next to each table. This is to call the waiter/ess to your table.

The menu is elaborate, and each Japanese item is explained in English with some pictures. The prices are slightly on higher side but not as expensive as some other Japanese restaurants in town. However, if you don't want to spend too much, then you can order the 'set menu'. This is like a combo meal. Each order is accompanied with a cup of soup and a bowl of rice.

Sushi is great and they range from 250-400 for a pair. We ordered the sushi platter which is 600 bucks and comes with 9 assorted pieces of sushi. The platter arrived quickly and the sushi was great! It was an assortment of cucumber, salmon, tuna, tamagoyaki (omelette) and something else. It was presented on a wooden board with pickled ginger and wasabi.

We had ordered a grilled beef sizzler (yaki something) and yaki tori (grilled chicken bits in Japanese barbeque sauce. The sizzler and chicken dish was very nice. The grilling was perfect and the meat was crusty but soft. We had it with sticky rice. Not sure if we were supposed to put soya though. The soup was also nice. It was a cup of clear soup. very light but tasted nice. Japanese flavor I don't know how to describe. Bit it was hot and soothing.

Overall we loved the experience. The decor is very unique, The meals delicious and filling, yet not heavy. They serve sake and beer as well, but they were out of stock.

Per head we paid 750/- . that's worth the experience considering that we ate well and ingredients are not easily available.

Date of visit: September 2015

Reviewed July 12, 2016 via mobile

Exceptional food with no fuss service. Momoyama remains one of our favourite restaurants for Jap Food. Best dishes- yaki niku beef, ebi tempura, ebi tempura roll and salmon and tuna maki. Stick to the tried and tested. It has never disappointed.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed June 18, 2016 via mobile

Momoyama is a family run Japanese restaurant. Driving around looking for it you might just miss it; until you look hard enough and poof it's there. The interest are plain Jane and simple just like the outside. But once you order the food you get served with beutifullly crafted dishes that are presented with a smile. Love the sushi, soba noodles & miso soup

Date of visit: June 2016
Reviewed March 2, 2016 via mobile

A friend and I had dinner here a couple days ago and I'm still recovering from the 'Oh, did I just touch heaven!!' feeling I had when I bit into the Slow Roasted Pork. It was THAT GOOD..... I'm not a fan of pork but I heard it's one of the best dishes here so I was playing it safe and it was worth it!

Food aside, I was amazed at the courtesy and the constant bowing of our Japanese man who waited on us.. Such grace!

This place offers a sneak peek into Japan with its menu, ambience, service and the people who come there too...

Date of visit: March 2016
Reviewed February 23, 2016 via mobile

Honestly the title said it all...
You just cannot serve frozen sashimi (the Salmon for being specific)
Miso soup ... A kind of variation from the original one... Just a regular soup!
Not impressed at all, I don't think I will go back

Date of visit: February 2016