“Fantastic” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Azzuri Bay

Azzuri Bay
Ranked #136 of 6,589 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Surely I have found a place in Chennai which I can claim as my favourite. To make the occasion better we visited the place on Valentine's day. We did not make any reservations, reservations however we were accommodated despite a great rush. The ambiance was perfect for the occasion, the food was majestic and the pricing was a delight. We ordered something called Almost Shawarma and Chicken Mozarella Pizza. The Shawarma was very different and we were satisfied. The Pizza was heavenly. The quality of meat, the taste was just heavenly. I am definitely coming back here time and again.

Drawbacks:

1. There is only 1 Restroom in the 2nd floor and if you are anywhere in the other floor, you need to take an elevator to reach there. Thus during rush hour you can expect a lot of people awaiting outside the restroom, which would not be a pleasant site.

2 Continental without a bottle of wine is somehow not complete and thus I have taken away a rating.

3. While you wait at the reception to enter the place, the place is filled with mosquitoes and the authorities need to take care, if they need to take their restaurant to a top class category.

4. No valet parking, but not to bother as there are ample place to park, on the road.

5. I tried calling for Reservation twice but somehow nobody picked it up !

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Indradeep R

Mumbai (Bombay), India
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the nicest of places I've been to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

It is very rare when you get the food, ambience and the service all of them just right, in one place... Azzuri Bay is one of such rare places. I enjoyed my meal, the food was delicious, our captian and the people serving us food were warm and of course, the good company helped :) I'd been there for lunch, but looking around the place, I'm sure the ambience would be even lovelier in the evenings. I'll save that for my next visit. Its a place you could go with friends, family or your special someone, it has plenty of options on the menu and multi-cuisines to pick from, it is value for money and its in the city; yet away from the bustle.
Kudos!! This one definitely goes into my list of favourites.

1 Thank Aarti_S9
Chennai (Madras), India
“Value for Money Weekday Buffet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Arriving at Azzuri Bay, the first thing that stood out to me was their ambiance. Being a little late, we immediately jumped into the food. The soup of the afternoon was a 'Broccoli Cream Soup'. The soup had a good flavor in it but a tad more creamy. Other than that nothing extra ordinary about the soup. Once we were done with the soup, the next to be savored were the starters. The buffet consisted of 4 starters, viz. Veg Spring Rolls, Chilly Panneer, Thai Crispy Fish and Stuffed Mushrooms. The Veg Spring Rolls were crispy and oil less. The fillings were fresh and folded into a small bite size portion that was delightful. The Chilly Panneer, I felt was a major let down. It was too spicy and the Panneer seemed hard and rubbery. The Thai Crispy Fish was good but had a strong flavor of Thai sauces in it but the fish was well cooked which gave an overall satisfaction. The Stuffed Mushrooms gave me a mixed opinion. Some of the one's I had were a bit salty while the others were balanced. The fillings were delicious and provided a good closure to the starters.

Coming to the Mains, being a tri-cuisine restaurant, they had a few dishes in each. The Italian was represented by 'Chickpeas & Mixed Vegetable Steak', 'Grilled Veg Penne in Red/White sauce' & 'Cheese Grilled Fish'. All the 3 dishes passed my test. The steak was packed well and the sauce accompanying it was a perfect contribution to it and really helped lift it's flavors. Being a fish avoid-er I felt the Cheese Grilled Fish was cooked to the point and was well dressed in the cheese sauce. The pasta had a good mixture of vegetables in it and was one of the best dishes of the afternoon. Heard from peers that Italian is really good at Azzuri Bay.

The Pan-Asian cuisines were represented by 'Veg Noodles', 'Beijing Manchurian' & 'Hunan Chicken Gravy'. The noodles were more like the regular Chinese noodles, nothing that really stood out. The Beijing Manchurian was more on the lines of veg dumplings shaped as balls and cooked in a Manchurian sauce. The effect of the sauce on the dumplings were overwhelming. The Hunan Chicken Gravy was the dish that stood out in this representation. The chicken was cooked soft and had a good amount of spiciness in it along with the right balance of meat and sauce.

To complete the main offerings, we had the South Indian cuisine which were represented by 'Kal Dosa', Lemon Rice, 'Steamed Rice', 'Mutton Khurma' followed by 3 varieties of Podi with Ghee. Skipped the Kal Dosa as I generally tend to avoid dosa's unless they are straight from the hot stone. I believe the dosa loses it's flavors as it cools down. The Lemon Rice was the typical one that we get in other south Indian restaurants. The Mutton Khurma was a good accompaniment for the Steamed Rice. But what really made my day at Azzuri Bay was the availability of Podi for the rice. I'm sure the satisfaction and fullness that Rice with Podi can give can never be attained by consuming any other delicacy.

Being stuffed with the rice and podi combination, the desserts were more of a formality. The desserts that were made available today were 'Gulab Jamun', 'Kaju Halwa' & 'Chocolate Brownie'. The Gulab Jamun was well prepared and not too sweet which according to me is a perfect one. I hate those that are served at certain restaurants where the syrup is too sweet that it powers the taste of the Jamun itself. The Kaju Halwa was more of the regular types available at most places and the brownie with chocolate sauce was also passable except for the brownie being a bit too hard. Really wished that they had some desserts from the Pan-Asian cuisine rather than having 2 from the Indian.

With the buffet costing Rs. 500/- net per person, I am of the opinion that it is a good value for money and food if not extraordinarily great makes for a good buffet over many other restaurants in town. Perfect if you are looking at treating a big group of people especially considering the ambiance and the rooftop options.

For more on Azzuri Bay, visit my blog www.foodinchennai.com

5 Thank Fazilbadrudeen
Chennai (Madras), India
“Variety is the spice of life”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

In the rich tapestry of the city's culinary transformations, Azzuri Bay has carved out a niche of its own. I've visited the restaurant long before its current menu came to be — back when Mediterranean and Pan-Asian were all you got. However, like all good enterprises (the restaurant business, included), Azzuri Bay has learnt by way of trial and error. Back when I first visited the restaurant — in early 2011 — the lamb moussaka and a delicious chicken-wrapped-in-bacon were to die for, and the San Francisco Iced Tea hit the mark. A few months later, I sampled the Chinese section on a new menu, and the pork was beyond extraordinary.

Just a few weeks ago, the menu was different, again. This time, however, I had Mediterranean, Pan-Asian and (surprise, surprise) a variety of Indian culinary options to choose from. Talk about variety! With these, were an assortment of 12-inch thin-crust pizzas. Who cares about "authenticity", when you have 12-inch, thin-crust pizzas loaded with cheese and a variety of meats? The pizzas alone, will give me reason to stop by Azzuri the next time I feel like a pizza, as opposed to walking into other restaurants that pride themselves on "authenticity", and thus believe they have reason to up the prices of their pizzas by a few hundred rupees.

I guess it's the dynamic menu that keeps you coming back to Azzuri for more. But when quality, realistic pricing, variety and courteous service is guaranteed, your favourite reasons for patronizing a restaurant, won't be only because of a great menu.

3 Thank Jude S
Bhubaneswar, India
“Delicious Food - Italian, Mediterannean”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Food and service is fantastic. The choices are many for both veg and non veg. The cook is from Oberoi and it shows in the quality. The soups are amazing. Starters can be better. Main course is has nothing more left to be desired for.

Only issue here is the stench from the nearby Adyar River, if you sit outside. However many people dnt mind the same. I would suggest the small AC enclosure which has a very quiet and calm ambiance.. take your pick !

A must visit for continental food lovers.

• 3 of 5 bubbles