“OK, but overpriced.”
Review of Vasco's

Vasco's
Ranked #27 of 6,640 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Spanish, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nungambakkam
Description: Enjoy fresh and innovative global cuisine from live kitchens at the stylish, all-day dining restaurant, Vasco's at Hilton Chennai. The restaurant's modern furnishings and relaxed ambience, together with superb views of the city, ensure the perfect dining experience. An elevated private dining room with a bird's eye view of the restaurant below is available for those seeking an exclusive setting. Enjoy a lavish family brunch on weekends.
Tel Aviv, Israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,241 helpful votes
“OK, but overpriced.”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We had two dinners at Vasco's, Hilton's all-day dining restaurant.
The food was OK, but somehow overpriced for a regular hotel's restaurant.
We also had two breakfasts at the same place, which were very nice.
I have to say that the access to the restaurant is a bit strange. You have to leave the air-conditioned area of the hotel, walk through a walkway which is outside (very hot) and only then get into the restaurant.

• Visited April 2013
Parag S, Director of Operations at Vasco's, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you taking the time to share your dinner and breakfast experience at Vasco’s. It is indeed refreshing to learn that you enjoyed our widespread breakfast. I have made a note of your feedback on the entrance to Vasco’s and I am delighted to confirm that appropriate provisions have now been made and you will not have to leave the air-conditioned area to reach Vascos’s in future. I would be interested in receiving some more detailed feedback on our offerings at dinner and should you need any assistance in future, please feel free to reach me directly at parag.sawwhney@hilton.com.

Kind Regards
Parag Sawhney

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Chennai (Madras), India
“Massive spread, tasty food and good service”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Visited on 10th may along with my mate. It was my mate's idea to visit the restaurant as our requirements was to drink and have a dinner buffet. He contacted the restaurant and one Ms Tanushree picked up the call and booked a table for us. As soon as we entered the restaurant, Tanushree welcomed us and gave us a table. She was very friendly. Within 3-4 minutes, we had a waiter at our table to take our order. The waiter seemed friendly and polite too. After ordering for our drinks, we went to fill our plates with food and surprisingly the spread was massive. They had wonderful starters right from beef to chicken, sushi, dumplings, ham, bacon, paneer, et cetera. The food was very delicious and we enjoyed a lot. We had the waiters ask us twice if everything was okay. The desserts were not impressive to me as I did not see anything new. There was a mango cake which I wanted to taste but my intuition told me it would contain pineapple. So, asked a staff member and he assumed the same. Very kind of him, he went to the chef and asked if it contained pineapple, came back to me and said "yes, it does contain pineapple." I thanked him as I have an allergy towards pineapple. In fact the chef came and explained it too.
The ambiance of the restaurant was really nice too. Surprisingly, there were many expats dining that night.
The price of the buffet is definitely expensive but guess its worth the value.

• Visited May 2013
Parag S, Director of Operations at Vasco's, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you very much for choosing to done at Vasco's. I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic dining experience. I have shared your kind comments on the professionalism and friendliness of Tanushree and team at Vasco's. The team at Vasco's is looking forward to welcome you back in the near future for yet another memorable experience. Should you need any assistance with future bookings, please reach me at parag.sawhney@hilton.com.

Kind Regards
Parag sawhney
Toronto, Canada
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I was looking forward to trying this restaurant after hearing such positive reviews. My wife made reservations during the week for today (Easter Sunday). After arriving at noon, the start of brunch, we were greeted at the entrance with the first words, "do you have a reservation". No hello, good afternoon, or Happy Easter. A five star hotel and this is the greeting we received. We responded with our reservation confirmation and they didn't even have the reservation list handy. After waiting for them to retrieve it, we were told that, yes you made a reservation, but when we called you during the week to re-confirm, we weren't able to reach you. We explained that we already confirmed when we made the reservation in the first place and were here as promised. After this went on for several more minutes with an empty restaurant mind you, they offered to seat us in another restaurant in Hilton and offer the buffet service at Vasco's. We did not reserve seats in Vasco to be seated in another restaurant. Part of the high price you pay to eat in a place like this is for the ambience and service. Very disappointed with the customer service and the way they handled everything for a five-star hotel, we decided to leave and take our business elsewhere. We won't be going back. Hopefully someone who has the authority do do something, reads this review and works on the customer service. Absolutely terrible.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Marlon P
Devendra K, Food & Beverage Manager at Vasco's, responded to this review, April 24, 2015
Thank you for choosing to dine at Vasco’s Restaurant and I am terribly sorry to learn of your experience.

May I kindly request you to forward your contact details to me on devendra.kushwaha@hilton.com and I will reach you at your convenience.

I look forward to welcome you back for a seamless dining experience at Vasco’s, Hilton Chennai.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“The best sea food restaurant in Chennai - Friday nights only!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I have been to the Friday night seafood buffet at Vasco's twice in the past three months, and absolutely loved it both times, so decided to sit down and write a long review. The buffet is not cheap at Rs1,800 plus taxes pp, but good fish is expensive, and the massive spread was definitely worth it. This is THE best seafood place in Chennai, perhaps even the best speciality restaurant in the city. A pity that the seafood speciality is on offer only on Friday nights. You have to negotiate Chennai's harrowing Friday evening traffic to get to this poorly located Hilton, but once you settle down at Vasco's, you will agree with me it was worth the ordeal. Every time!

Last Friday we had reserved a table for four near the buffet counters, and sure enough we had a comfortable looking table waiting for us. The decor/ ambience were nice, functional and comfortable. No complaints at all but nothing exceptional either. The service was warm and friendly, although a bit inconsistent in efficiency. With that out of the way, let me dive straight into the food.

What struck us at once was the unusually wide variety of interesting food on offer. Although the primary focus of the menu was on seafood, there was a very adequate offering even for vegetarians - from starters to dessert. And a range of chicken and lamb starters and mains for those who are not too much into fish. We ordered our cocktails and helped ourselves to a range of excellent veg & non-veg starters (skipped the soups, salads, pizza counter, dim sums, breads, cold cuts and other assorted stuff), and moved on to the mains. There was a huge range of Indian, Japanese, Chinese, and Continental to chose from. But the piece-de-resistance of the evening was the 'seafood market' - a bar with a selection of 10 varieties of fresh fish, squid, scallops and prawns to chose from, to be marinaded and grilled to order on the spot by the chef and served at your table. We ordered two platters of assorted goodies on offer. I was of a mood to pig it out, so I ordered a whole grilled fish in addition. Had salmon sashimi cuts from the sushi counter while we waited for the grilled fish to be served. And when it arrived - divine would not be a wrong description. All of us loved the fishes, and as for me, I enjoyed it as much as I did the previous time I had been here.

Well sated after gorging on the fish, we still had room for desserts. There was a decent (but not sumptuous) range of well prepared desserts on offer, and a cheese board too. And not to forget the teppanyaki ice cream counter. Again, yours truly did a creditable demolition job on the desserts.

The only discordant note was at the sushi counter. The salmon sashimi cuts were fine in retrospect, but I did hesitate a bit before ordering as the fish was not stored in ice at the counter. And the wasabi did not taste very fresh. The other hiccup was with the wine list - the first time I visited a few weeks ago. They have a fairly long list, but didn't actually carry the top end of the range - we had the waiter coming back three times (!) to tell us they were out of stock, until we settled for an Indian label - which was not bad wine by the way. That said, I have had two delightful experiences at Vasco's on Friday evenings, and I will be back for more.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Albatross_001
Thank you for rating Vasco’s as the best sea food restaurant in Chennai and sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We cannot wait to welcome you back at Vasco’s, Hilton Chennai for yet another memorable experience.

Should you need any further assistance, please feel free to reach me at devendra.kushwaha@hilton.com.

Chennai (Madras), India
“Awful experience”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We went for a dinner buffet and the food ranges from ordinary to unremarkable. The kind you would find in a three star at one third the price. They claim to make everything in small quantities on the spot in a hot kitchen; the result is empty containers and guests waiting for the chef to refill the dishes.

The tables were dirty and had numerous stains. I lifted the placement mats and I could see fungus and stain marks which were clear signs that they were not cleaned for days.

The staffs are poorly trained. The Lady hostess and the waiters just watched while my petite wife struggled with her heavy chair to seat herself. And for some strange reason they kept pushing the chairs back into the table whenever went for a refill.

Fancy hotel, ordinary food, poor value. Awful experience.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank SagarVS
Thank you for choosing to dine at Vasco’s Restaurant and sharing your experience.

I have taken your comments on-board, please rest assured I have taken the necessary steps. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.