“Teppanyaki dosa's”
Review of I D

I D
Ranked #1,182 of 6,727 Restaurants in Chennai (Madras)
Cuisines: Indian
Neighborhood: Royapettah
Description: Outstanding South Indian food. Awesome idles, flavoured dosas and other south Indian dishes coupled with great service.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Whoever came up with the idea of running a south Indian eatery as a teppanyaki bar is a true genius.

ID is a fabulous example of good packaging and presentation. It's a basic south Indian eatery that has idli/dosai (hence the name ID) and other south Indian dishes. You can either sit and be served diner style or sit on the bar stools while the food is made right in front of you. In addition to the fantastic quality of the food what will strike you is how CLEAN the kitchen is. It's truly 5 star standards. Also don't just gorge on the food. The desserts, even though limited are absolutely great to savour.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The recent addition to ID's small menu is the Mini Meals and the Regular Meals. I always wondered if this restaurant would also join the rat race in serving meals and they dont disappoint. The mini meals itself is filling (Dosa with Vada curry or Parotta/ a scoop of sambar rice/Variety rice/ Curd rice/ Kesari/papad/poriyal) The portions were hearty and tasty. A tad expensive for vegetarian food,but then vegetables are expensive these days so who am I to complain ;)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have visited thrice in the Phoenix Mall. Cost wise it is very high, but it was okay for me as I had some discount coupon. The serving people are awesome. I am yet to find some well behaved restaurant in Chennai.

1  Thank EnjoyUrHoliday
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I went to three of their I D restaurants located in Satyam Cinemas, Phoneix Mall and Forum Mall.
Basically I feel any person who is opening a restaurant or cafe should be passionate about food and cooking and must be knowledgable about the type of cuisine they are serving which I feel is totally lacking in this restaurant. Except for glittering interiors with hurried waiters taking the orders in a very hurried manner, there is no other charm in these cafes. There is no basic understanding of the recipes or menus in respect of the most dishes served here except for the basic dosa and idli.
I have ordered Rava Idli and it was quite disappointing to see and taste it. Rava Idli is a dish famous in karnataka and wherever you go there, especially in Kamath or Shanbagh group, you get piping hot Rava Idlis with a dollop of ghee, fried cashew nuts served with vegetable kurma and coconut chutney. But in I D cafe it was very difficult to ascertain what type of idli they served, because its close to an ordinary idli and moreover it was served with stale chutney and sambar and each idli was priced at Rs.25.

After a disappointing stint with this Rava Idli we ordered coffee and it came in a medium cup and hold your breath its priced Rs.50. The coffee is quite ordinary in a medium cup almost cold and there is nothing to boast of.

For three ordinary so-called rava idlis and one coffee I have to pay Rs.130/-.

Though I must be considerate to their pricing because its located inside posh malls, but even then the taste and the quantity do not have any meaning or justice in paying that much amount of hefty price.

1  Thank Rajani B
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I went with family on a weekend. The service was one of the worst possible. The place is supposedly specialist in Dosas. we had some different types of Dosas, but none of them were good or impressed. will never go there again. But the desert kasi halwa was good and we had to ask for seconds.